First anemone in my tank after only 7 weeks

anemonekeeper

In Memoriam
I put my first anemone( a bta) in my 45 gallon after only 7 weeks just a few weeks ago, and he is flourishing, along with my carpet and aggregating nems. What I didnt find out until recently was that you should wait at least 6 to 8 months for an anemone. I would like to know why there is such a long wait recomended?

I have pics of the nems that are still doing great, despite my bta not eating, which was just resolved today.

My giant carpet
47ea9a4b-2a36-aeff.jpg

My BTA
47ea9a4b-2a67-703f.jpg

My aggregating nem
47ea9a4b-2a8a-fd33.jpg

My clowns that still refuse to host
47ea9a4b-2ac4-3531.jpg

The carpet doesn't look settled. Does it move? Why is the bta on the sand? It is reccomended to wait such a long tiime because newer tanks are constantly changing. Anemones like very stable conditions and that is hard to achieve in newer tanks. It is also reccomended to be very careful mixing different species of nems. If this is your first tank be careful and keep up on your water changes. If they show any signs of illness have a place to take them.

The carpet anemone is settled now, the picture shown is from when I got him. The bta moved there on its own, and settled its foot on the glass. He moved accross the tank from a piece of lr to the glass like that which I thought was unusual. The two anemones were fighting at one point, so I rotated the rock mt bta was on 180 degrees, waited for the bta to move a little, then put him on another piece of lr, from which he moved to the glass.

The tank is 45 gallons with a lot of open space
(old pic with all the lr I still have and Im making sone more but it has ti cure first)
47ea9a4b-2ffe-ae14.jpg

It may be ok on size for now but those nems get very large. If the bta is moving something is off can you post some info about your tank like lighting and paramaters. Chemical warfare could be another reason the bta is moving. Excuse my bad typing I'm on my Cell phone so its a habbit.

Lol im on a phone to so I understand. The bta isnt moving on its on, only when I use the described method to unsettle it. Iam using the higher end reptisun lights that have the same output as real sunlight. I just ordered t5 lights to make this a little more adequit, because reptisun in a reef tank does sound insane, but I claim that it works (lol)

Lol im on a phone to so I understand. The bta isnt moving on its on, only when I use the described method to unsettle it. Iam using the higher end reptisun lights that have the same output as real sunlight. I just ordered t5 lights to make this a little more adequit, because reptisun in a reef tank does sound insane, but I claim that it works (lol)

Wait a second, there is no way in heck that they lights you have have the same output of as real sunlight. Is there a chance that you mean same color temp?

IME mixing a BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) and an S. Haddoni is a poor idea, the Haddoni won't stay put.

Also, there doesn't appear to be nearly enough live rock for the amount of waste that those anemones are going to produce. In addition the BTA is showing signs of starvation.

You ask way you should wait -- it takes longer then 7 weeks for your tank to fully settle in. Also, it will take you longer then 7 weeks to learn your tank, and be able to see an "issue" before it becomes a problem. Lastly, it would give you time to do more research into the requirements, and future sizes of the anemone(s) that you are planning to keep.

How can you claim that light works when your tank has only been set up for 7 weeks?? An anemone should outlive us.

Yeah sorry dude but that BTA is NOT flourishing. Maybe if you used some current photos you could sway some people but everything looks and sounds wrong in your setup. 4 watts per gallon lighting, 1 pound per gallon live rock, 50+ gallons for a haddoni by itself. These are tried and true minimums for long term success. Otherwise, its a real gamble.

I've used the reptisun lights for different snakes and stuff. It might have a similar spectrum to sunlight but it isn't powerful enough for an anemone. It just gives off a color similar to sunlight. The T5 bulbs are a step in the right direction. I use 4 on my 45 gallon tank.

Ya I understand about tge lighting which is why I ordered the t5s and the carpet is from what I heard s. Gigantia not a haddoni, although Im probably wrong there too. An aggregating anemone is a cold water anemone, but is very hardy and can be kept at tropical temps

Ya I understand about tge lighting which is why I ordered the t5s and the carpet is from what I heard s. Gigantia not a haddoni, although Im probably wrong there too. An aggregating anemone is a cold water anemone, but is very hardy and can be kept at tropical temps

Your carpet anemone is a haddoni.

Yours is an S. Haddoni, no doubt about it.

Hi Anemonekeeper. I am going to be a little critical, but don't hate me for it. Why post something like "first anemone in my tank after 7 weeks" when you don't know yet whether you will be successful? People may read your post title and think that it is considered "ok" to have an anemone in a new tank.

Better to be conservative, build up your tank, and post about your success after the fact :) There are a lot of people now who would look at your tank and question whether you will be ok longer term. You are doing some things that are not considered the best way to keep a marine invertebrate tank, and I'm not confident in your long-term success unless you change some things.

This is the kindest way I can put it :) When people recommend a certain approach based on years of experience, and many other people try the same approach and have good results, ignore it at your risk (and the risk of animals in your care).

Well put BonsiNut.

Todd also did a good job describing in very brief terms why the wait is recommended.

It may be beneficial to do some reading and figure out why so many others wait, and why so many have difficulty with anemones in new tanks. Furthermore, adding multiple nems in a single tank has caused problems, they are dynamic animals sensitive to their surroundings. There are plenty of threads on here that you may find quite useful in researching each of these issues.

Back