fish polotics

I had a long response typed out for you but to be honest I don't care enough to post it.

Long story short, your article is entirely based upon your opinions and not facts as evident by your fourth sentence in the first paragraph. Overall, it is poorly written and any hope of communicating in an effective manner is lost to the reader quickly.

If you wish to convince people that they should improve the current situation, perhaps you should take this as a first draft, research the issues, present facts to support your opinions, and have someone else proof read the article before you post again.

Good luck and keep fighting the good fight.

Agree 100% and could not have said it better. You do need to support opinions with facts- otherwise you are relying on peoples faith in you to believe what you say. With the spelling etc, you do not foster faith.

Once agian ,
Logic

"Scientists do not arrive at models and theories by application of logic. They arrive at them by many processes lumped under the name 'induction'. Induction cannot be reduced to a set of logical rules (though many have tried). To see patterns (sometimes subtle and hidden ones) in data and observations requires creative ability. This is the ability to think ahead and say, "What model, set of statements (laws) or theoretical construct could I devise from which these observations and data might be deduced?"

We can't find, discover, or construct scientific laws and theories by mathematics and logic alone. But we can derive testable and useful results by application of mathematics and logic to laws and theories, and if those deduced results pass experimental tests, our confidence in the validity of the theory from which they were derived is strengthened.

In this context, logic and mathematics are reliable and essential tools. Outside of this context they are instruments of error and self-delusion. Whenever you hear a politician, theologian or evangelist casting verbal arguments in the trappings of logic, you can be pretty sure that person is talking moonshine."

I still believe in logic to a degree nomatter what anyone says.

You said you have heard of these ideas Before such as a non profit orgsnization that grows and sells aquacultured corals and donates the profits to help restore wild reefs.
I
You have heard of not farms but mariculture plantations in places like Indonesia and the philipenes that provide enough jobs to people that that don't have to hunt ornamental fish .

Or even any liverock or coral mariculture plantations at all .

Please show me evidence of this because I have never heard of it at all I though it was a new idea .

Yes I know there will always be a demand for fish from that area but if there are people who are working on coral plantations than there will be less people to catch fish and it will thin out the crowd so to speak. This would make the people who catch them ones who are better at it and will assure that a higher percentage of fish are caught sustainably , at least from my point of view. All we can do for now is buy fish from sustainable nations and try to put plans like mine into action. :)

A paper that is simply full of opinion and logic is an editorial. If you wish it to be considered factual it needs contain to sources you used to back up the information you want to be considered as facts. Hence the use of foot notes in most reviewed articles.

This allows the reader to review sources for authenticity. If sources cant be verified you have nothing but an opinion.

Do you think these opinions are factual even though I personally haven supported the facts yet?

What you have is an idea/proposal based on your opinion by using very general language to support your view. You cant use the terms opinion and fact in the same sentence in a scientific paper, one has nothing to do with the other. Its not easy to write a paper and have it widely accepted as fact. If that is your goal you first need to research how to write a paper of that sort. I think then you will see what you are lacking here.

It's hard to take anything seriously when it is poorly written and filled with grammatical and spelling errors.

I salute your wish to improve things and I think your heart is in the right place.

Facts are measurable things, data such as how much rain fell, how many annual rings on the otolith of a fish you can count, the depth of water you can find a given species of fish living at, etc. Opinions are merely thought and don't need to be based on facts, or even reality. Hence the need to support opinion with actual facts if you want people to listen to your opinion ;) It also helps to write in a manner that is easy to read. A rambling stream of conscience wall of words doesn't achieve that end. Listen to PowerBoatJim, the PBJ is wise. Also many others made quite valid points.

BTW when you look at how much of the trade is in fish, and how much is in coral, there just isn't the economic viability to your coral plantation idea being able to support enough workers to cause a decrease in people working as fishermen and thereby reducing fish catches.

Back