griss' Tank Upgrade Thread

Picked up the Zoo Med 50 gallon frag tank yesterday. Thanks @CH3RRY

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Ugh, damn fuge overflowed again resulting in 20 gallons of RODI being introduced into the system. 1.020 salinity. Mixing water now to slowly bring it up.

I really, really need to get this upgrade done as I have failsafes planned to be built in for this type of thing.

Ugh, damn fuge overflowed again resulting in 20 gallons of RODI being introduced into the system. 1.020 salinity. Mixing water now to slowly bring it up.

I really, really need to get this upgrade done as I have failsafes planned to be built in for this type of thing.
Can you set a maximum on time on the ATO output so it will not stay on long enough to cause this before turning off. Also if possible have it send an alert if the maximum on time had been hit.

Can you set a maximum on time on the ATO output so it will not stay on long enough to cause this before turning off. Also if possible have it send an alert if the maximum on time had been hit.
It’s a 20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute hooked to a float valve in the sump.

Not sure how you would backup a mechanical valve.
Oh, sorry. I’m going to not have a remote fuge plumbed into the system for the upgrade.

Good news is, nothing looks terrible. LTA is not happy but, everything else seems okay.

Well, I have 8 active/live outlets in the fish room on one 20 amp circuit.

The plan is for a total of 12 outlets in the fish room on two 20 amp circuits.

So, the first step is complete. Step 2 will be to have the other 4 fish room outlets in-line with the 8 outlets that will be facing the family room type area. I would have gotten that done today too but, I grossly overestimated the amount of wire I had. Need about 25 more feet to finish off but, I’m done for the night.

I’m getting a 50 gallon frag tank from a local reefer in a bit here so I’ve got to go pick that up soon. And, with Mother’s Day tomorrow, I likely won’t make any more progress.

Hopefully next weekend I can finish the other circuit and, at least, begin demo on the old wall.

First pic is the live dedicated fish room circuit and the other two are the combo fish room / family room circuit.

Good to see you are keeping the outlets high, big plus in a fish room. I actually mount them to the ceiling in mine.
I did two 20 amp circuits in my fish room and wish I would have done more. My basement is not really fully heated and it takes allot of heaters to heat the water in the winter here. I thought about using a electric heater but most are 1200 or 1500 watts and that is almost a circuit itself.

Good to see you are keeping the outlets high, big plus in a fish room. I actually mount them to the ceiling in mine.
I did two 20 amp circuits in my fish room and wish I would have done more. My basement is not really fully heated and it takes allot of heaters to heat the water in the winter here. I thought about using an electric heater but most are 1200 or 1500 watts and that is almost a circuit itself.
Yep, I’ll have (2) 20 amp circuits for the fish room for a 120 with 40 gallon frag tank. I can always add more if I need.

We’re a bit south of you. My basement doesn’t get cold enough to warrant additional heaters…the tank heaters suffice.

Finished the electric last week. Demo’d the old wall today. Probably will start drywall next weekend.

Still trying to figure out where to move the cat stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6608.jpeg
    IMG_6608.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Since I hate drywalling I thought I’d offer to pay my adult son (construction worker) and his unemployed friend to do the drywall a couple weeks ago. They agreed. Here’s a pic of them working on the drywall last Saturday and today…just like they said they would🙄

Attachments

• IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Well, two weeks in a row they said they were going to do the drywall and two weeks in a row they’ve ghosted me. If we weren’t taking the boat out today, I’d work on it myself and keep the money.

Well, two weeks in a row they said they were going to do the drywall and two weeks in a row they’ve ghosted me. If we weren’t taking the boat out today, I’d work on it myself and keep the money.
I was on a site last week and there were 4 old timers ( I mean seriously old hurting units) doing stonework on the house. I said you guys need 2 young labourers. The guy said "nobody wants to work, It's a real problem." These guys were fossils and that skill is going to die with them unless these kids figure out they're not all going to be Youtube stars.

Well that’s disappointing, I know, but I’ve finished a basement by myself before. It’s (drywall) a lot more work than you think…assuming you haven’t done it before. As much as it sucks to be hampered by the delays, it’s probably a good idea to just wait and have them (or someone else) do it for you. You might be able to find some guys who could knock it out in a few hours if you know of any new construction going on near your house.

Back