How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

I need a couple of these regulators in my life. Looks like I can't get away with building one for any less than 500 though, based on ebay links currently up of the recommended brands in the original post.

Any new builds guys?

Not new, but will finally be getting mine running on my new build (300g). Between this thread and the Masterflex thread, I have what I think is one heck of a system to get going.

Geo624 Reactor modified lid for Masterflex effluent exit
Masterflex Peristaltic pump for effluent control
Alanle Special dual stage regulator with Burkett solenoid, and Hoke Needle Valve.

Not new, but will finally be getting mine running on my new build (300g). Between this thread and the Masterflex thread, I have what I think is one heck of a system to get going.

Geo624 Reactor modified lid for Masterflex effluent exit
Masterflex Peristaltic pump for effluent control
Alanle Special dual stage regulator with Burkett solenoid, and Hoke Needle Valve.

What tubing size are you using for your easyload head? i have the same head without the model number on it so i'm not sure of the tube size

thanks

What tubing size are you using for your easyload head? i have the same head without the model number on it so i'm not sure of the tube size

thanks

Mine needs the LS15 or LS24 which is the High performance tubing. I bought LS24. It matters on what the head needs. Does it say LS15 or LS24?

Mine needs the LS15 or LS24 which is the High performance tubing. I bought LS24. It matters on what the head needs. Does it say LS15 or LS24?

Mine doesn't say the size, i got L/S 15 but it seems a bit too big for it. I bet it would fit any other size except 15 and 24

This is my setup
191858C4-7E4B-475F-8390-E6CA44FCDABE.jpg

98EFC68E-9123-4414-AB0C-2B2255ECD569.jpg

Reagulator.jpg

I was overwhelmed by the great information that I got on this and other threads so I asked ct_vol for help. He gave me some good information that was specific to my situation but then I asked him if he would build me a unit.

He told me that he had a few projects going and that he would be willing to let me buy one of them. I told him what I was looking for and the price range that I wanted to work in. He gave me a few choices. I picked a dual stage stainless steel unit and we agreed on a price.

He told me how long it should take and he went off pulling it together for me. As he was doing his work, I decided to go with an Aquarium Plant digital regulator instead of a needle valve so he offered to send it on to AP when he got finish with his part.

He called AP to make sure that the fittings that he used would work on the digital unit. He got his part done as described and on budget and it arrived at AP without any issues.

Talking to the guy at Aquarium Plant, he felt that the ct_vol unit was a very good one. After talking to me for a while, he suggested that I get a remote unit that I could mount on the wall so I went for it.

The whole setup arrived and looks great! I have held off on posting this because it is taking a lot longer than I thought that it would to get other parts of my system finished. I wanted to show it working.

I decided not to wait on posting this and will add updates as I get the system finished. Anyway, I am very happy with what I got.

Thank you CT_VOL and AP

CaRxHardware.jpg

Reagulator.jpg

I was overwhelmed by the great information that I got on this and other threads so I asked ct_vol for help. He gave me some good information that was specific to my situation but then I asked him if he would build me a unit.

He told me that he had a few projects going and that he would be willing to let me buy one of them. I told him what I was looking for and the price range that I wanted to work in. He gave me a few choices. I picked a dual stage stainless steel unit and we agreed on a price.

He told me how long it should take and he went off pulling it together for me. As he was doing his work, I decided to go with an Aquarium Plant digital regulator instead of a needle valve so he offered to send it on to AP when he got finish with his part.

He called AP to make sure that the fittings that he used would work on the digital unit. He got his part done as described and on budget and it arrived at AP without any issues.

Talking to the guy at Aquarium Plant, he felt that the ct_vol unit was a very good one. After talking to me for a while, he suggested that I get a remote unit that I could mount on the wall so I went for it.

The whole setup arrived and looks great! I have held off on posting this because it is taking a lot longer than I thought that it would to get other parts of my system finished. I wanted to show it working.

I decided not to wait on posting this and will add updates as I get the system finished. Anyway, I am very happy with what I got.

Thank you CT_VOL and AP

CaRxHardware.jpg

That regulator is not stainless steel. The gauges are 2.5" in diameter. I suggest using a 2.5" cga320 nipple so the high pressure gauge does not rub against the tank's knob. Also this nipple is alloy aluminum. It's pressure rating is much lower than steel units.

It's a Smith Silverline 321. That's stainless and has 2 1/2" gauges. I agree with needing a longer nipple which I assure you is stainless as well, hence the SS stamp on the nut... AP made the box. No help there.

Appreciate the endorsement herring, though unnecessary. Just trying to help you out...

How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

It's a Smith Silverline 321. That's stainless and has 2 1/2" gauges. I agree with needing a longer nipple which I assure you is stainless as well, hence the SS stamp on the nut... AP made the box. No help there.

Appreciate the endorsement herring, though unnecessary. Just trying to help you out...

I see. From the picture the nipple looks like alloy aluminum. Stainless steel regulators have a 316 SS label on the gauge dials. Like the one shown in this link (zoom into the gauge and you will see it).
http://www.smithequipment.com/files/pdf/sgr/High_Purity_Corrosion_Resistant_Regulators.pdf

This regulator might be the brass version or maybe its gauges were swapped with non-stainless steel.

I have the same regulator and it's brass.
535ebdf10f3f30db6fcc8c3a2d1a2d83.jpg

Yeah. I don't doubt it was parted together, as I got it from a local weld shop. Their distributor had a few "gently used regulators" for sale. I got a nice SGT 500 and HPT 500 too. Still trying to get all the parts I need at the price I want to pay to finish them up though... Finally got the metering valves. :)

IMG_20140910_100540.jpg

For this one, did you just use a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" Tube adapter to go to your metering valve?

I hate to use bad English but that body sure don't look aluminum to me. You just can't beat that look! Before he shipped it, I looked up the prints on the shape of the body to make sure.

CT_Vol told me about the separate gauges before I decided on that build and the price. I had a choice.

That was just a dry fit just for the picture. It will be a while before I finish the fittings, clean off the Teflon from the bottle and put it together for real.

Thanks again.

Back