How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Hey guys, need some help with finding the last little bits!
Here is what I have so far.
I know I need a solenoid valve... can i get some help with finding one?
What else do I still need? Some kind of adapter to connect the elbow to the metering valve?

i-ddLxBpW.jpg

Last edited:
Which Hoke metering valve did you go with? Looks like 1315G4Y? Beside the solenoid, you'll need a 1/8" NPT to Tube adapter to connect from your elbow to metering valve. You'll need another tube adapter to go from your metering valve to bubble counter. The part #'s will depend on the size of your metering valve.

which hoke metering valve did you go with? Looks like 1315g4y? Beside the solenoid, you'll need a 1/8" npt to tube adapter to connect from your elbow to metering valve. You'll need another tube adapter to go from your metering valve to bubble counter. The part #'s will depend on the size of your metering valve.

1335g4y

Hi Alanle
I've just finished Masterflex pump forum an now found this one great reading
I live in Australia and would like to send you a Pm but not allowed yet I think I need more than 10 posts
I like the set up you made in post 195 the dual outlet one could you email me so I can get some more information from you its
deangraham@tpg.com.au
Regards
Dean

Hi Alanle
I've just finished Masterflex pump forum an now found this one great reading
I live in Australia and would like to send you a Pm but not allowed yet I think I need more than 10 posts
I like the set up you made in post 195 the dual outlet one could you email me so I can get some more information from you its
deangraham@tpg.com.au
Regards
Dean

I also live in Aus and I would dearly like to buy one of the high end units Alenle has for sale. But the problem is that the USA connector will not fit the Aus CO2 tanks and I have just about gone nuts trying to find an adaptor from USA to Aus thread.

Got any clues ?

I have the same situation with my current build. I plan to use SS-4-TA-7-2 to go from the 1/8" Elbow to my metering Valve.

https://www.swagelok.com/search/fin...7-2&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3

I also live in Aus and I would dearly like to buy one of the high end units Alenle has for sale. But the problem is that the USA connector will not fit the Aus CO2 tanks and I have just about gone nuts trying to find an adaptor from USA to Aus thread.

Got any clues ?

Know which CGA fitting they use for CO2 tanks in AUS?

Thanks!
And I just realized I probably can't use the bubble counter with that style hoke needle valve? The needle adjustment is on top.

You'd just have to add another elbow then use a 1/4" tube adapter with a 1/8" male NPT end.

Heliman
im guessing you would undo the gas stem tube and replace it with one from Australia i think they are the same thread in the regulator housing

I have the same situation with my current build. I plan to use SS-4-TA-7-2 to go from the 1/8" Elbow to my metering Valve.

https://www.swagelok.com/search/fin...7-2&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3

Know which CGA fitting they use for CO2 tanks in AUS?

Aus CO2 cylinders use AS 2473 Type 30 threads. It is ILLEGAL in Aus to fill any cylinder with an alternate thread form !! None of the locals will fill a US cylinder, but although is is easy to get an adaptor from Aus to USA thread, it seems impossible to got the other way...ie Aus cylinder to USA connector.

I had thought to replace the USA nut on the regulator with the Aus version, but I dont know what thread form is on the Regulator spigot ?

Aus CO2 cylinders use AS 2473 Type 30 threads. It is ILLEGAL in Aus to fill any cylinder with an alternate thread form !! None of the locals will fill a US cylinder, but although is is easy to get an adaptor from Aus to USA thread, it seems impossible to got the other way...ie Aus cylinder to USA connector.

I had thought to replace the USA nut on the regulator with the Aus version, but I dont know what thread form is on the Regulator spigot ?

They are 1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread). You'd have to find some kind of adapter.

Randy

Thanks for your input.

I am wondering whether it would be possible to undo the connector spigot from the USA regulator and replace the NUT only with an Aus version and re-connect to the regulator ?

I can easily get a spare nut from any number of old AUS regulators available. I am a bit reluctant to spend best part of $AU 1000 on a super regulator set-up and then be incapable of connecting to my cylinder !!!

I would be as well. Besides the nut, you also have to take the nipple in consideration. The CGA 320's here in the US have a flat orifice. Other gas types have specific nipples to match their tank mount. Can you get a picture of the AUS CO2 tank valve?

Here is what the US CGA 320 version looks like.

cga_320.jpg

Randy

It looks like the Cylinder tap is the same for both USA and Aus

Photos of Aus cylinder and regulator fitting

Attachments

• CO2 cylinder.jpg
    CO2 cylinder.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
The opening on your CO2 tank valve is significantly larger. Looks like the nipple on your regulator fits into that opening, where as it is flush on our CGA 320 nipple. Do you guys not have regulators, metering valves and solenoids you can just configure like the ones posted here?

ct_vol
Randy
your right i just had the Swagelok rep from my area over to my house gees very smart man hes putting together a quote now for me
we dont have much in the way of second hand high quality regulators so new it has to be
Lets hope there top of the line dual stage stainless steel high purity one does
im thinking there metering valves are good
so i hope there regulator will be also ??????

Last edited:
The opening on your CO2 tank valve is significantly larger. Looks like the nipple on your regulator fits into that opening, where as it is flush on our CGA 320 nipple. Do you guys not have regulators, metering valves and solenoids you can just configure like the ones posted here?

There would be only microscopic demand for an extensive range of components from which to build a high-end Reg. set-up similar to some of those we see on the Forum...dont forget, we are only 20 odd million people spread over a vast continent, only a few of which are interested in Marine aquariums. Sure, we can get complete reg. units from China that fit the Aus cylinders, but these are poor performers and dont last, albeit they are cheap as chips.

Added to the rules here about filling " foreign" cylinders, we are more or less trapped into the Chinese regs. Hence my quest to try to modify a high- end USA unit to fit Aus cylinders.

Looks like it is not gonna be practical....pity. I will see some jobbing metalwork Companies to see if I can get a one-off fitting machined....but that is gonna be costly !!!

Thanks for your help

Looks like it is not gonna be practical....pity. I will see some jobbing metalwork Companies to see if I can get a one-off fitting machined....but that is gonna be costly !!!

Thanks for your help

Do you know what size the port is on the Chinese regulators? Really, the only thing you can't use on the American regulators is the Nipple/Nut. If the AUS nipple is slightly larger, you could tap the American regulator to accept the AUS nipple. I would have this professionally done, but if you know a good machine shop it shouldn't be expensive.

I'm still looking for suggestions on where to pick up the Burkert solenoid kit.
I sent an email to a Aquarium Plants a few days ago about the ones they offer and have yet to hear back.

Back