How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Ideal valve is usually 1/8 female npt. The part you listed is a 1/4 tube. It wont fit. You need a 1/8 female npt x 1/8 female npt.
Something like this

Whats up everybody! First I want to say thank you to Alan who has been a huge help this last week. I read this thread and decided to go with a two stage regulator and I haven't looked back since lol I am, however, in need of some more assistance. I finally received all the pieces I needed and figured out that my metering valve male thread is too small and wont fit into my elbow coming out from my solenoid. The metering valve is a 1/8" male npt to a 1/4" female npt. I got this elbow because my metering valve is described as a 1/4" angled valve Swagelok ref. number SS-4MA. Any help in understanding where I went wrong would be much appreciated. Thank You.

IMAG0008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Luis,

Sorry I missed your previous PM. Here are the parts you need to complete your system.

1/4 tube x 1/8 male NPT <----Click here
This one goes on top of your needle valve to attach the bubble counter.

1/4 tube x 1/8 male NPT elbow <----Click here
Attach this elbow to your output of the solenoid.

1/4 tube x 1/4 tube nuts <----Click here
Attach this piece in between the elbow of your solenoid to the input of your needle valve.

This is how it looks like after you connect the needle valve to the elbow of your solenoid.
3DBECAA5-1188-4404-9FC6-C544D2E24D4F.jpg

Bubble counter attached to needle valve.
IMG_20140829_094611.jpg

Last edited:
Since my ideal has a female npt I thought a male 1/8 npt to 1/4 tube would work like this?

What is the model of your solenoid and what type of ports does it has? You can attach this fitting to the output of your ideal needle valve then run the 1/4 OD CO2 tubing from there.

The SS 4MA comes with Swagelok Tube Fittings. The SS 4MA2 is NPT. You're going to have to get a Swagelok Tube/NPT adapter... Hope that helps. :)

I'm having some issues with my new (new to me ) regulator. I've never used one of these dual stage regulators before so maybe what I'm experiencing is somewhat normal?

I bought a dual stage Matheson 3122A and performed the leak tests which it seemed to have passed.

IMG_20150324_170621275_zpseobzayvi.jpg

I built the rest of the regulator using the Burkert solenoid and Swagelok metering valve and connected everything to provide co2 to my calcium reactor. I've checked and rechecked for leaks. Here's what's happened:

I set the working pressure to 30 psi and set my bubble count. I checked on the setup a couple hours later and found that the working pressure had dropped to around 29 psi and the bubble count was way down. I figured maybe the diaphram expanded a little bit or something. I slightly turned the regulator knob to set the working pressure back to 30 psi and reset the bubble count.

All's good for around two days until I noticed a slower bubble rate and the working pressure is back to around 29 psi. This time I don't fiddle with the regulator but rather reset the bubble rate as I'm thinking the working pressure just has to settle in and balance with the entire system.

So now things seem to be working well until after a couple days I notice the bubble rate exceedingly fast and notice that the working pressure has crept up to 31 psi. I reset the bubble rate.

After a couple days the working pressure creeps back down to around 29 psi where I once again reset the bubble rate.

And once again, after a couple days, the working pressure goes back up to around 31 psi. I want to check for leaks again so I simply shut off a john guest valve that connects the co2 output into the calcium reactor. I then turned off the co2 tank supplying co2 to the regulator. So, essentially, if there are no leaks through the regulator, Burkert and metering valves, bubble counter, and tubing into the reactor, I'm thinking that the working pressure gage should remain at 31 psi.

I checked the setup the following day, and the working pressure gage had risen to 35 psi. So I don't know what's going on. Three days after shutting the John Guest valve and having no co2 supplied from the tank, the working pressure gage still reads 35 psi.

Maybe the regulator has problems around the 30 psi range. So I increase the working pressure to 40 psi and set the bubble rate. The exact same thing happened with the working pressure rising and falling.

Is this a bad regulator? Do they all fluctuate slightly and you have to find a "sweet spot"? I would think if there was a leak in the diaphram that the working pressure would continue to decrease, not bounce up and down? Are these regulators repairable? Unfortunately, the return period has expired.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Any large temp swings near your rig? Maybe your tank/regulator is near your HVAC unit and when the furnace kicks on it affects the psi? That's the only other factor I can think of since it looks like your system is in your basement...

I'm having some issues with my new (new to me ) regulator. I've never used one of these dual stage regulators before so maybe what I'm experiencing is somewhat normal?

I bought a dual stage Matheson 3122A and performed the leak tests which it seemed to have passed.

IMG_20150324_170621275_zpseobzayvi.jpg

I built the rest of the regulator using the Burkert solenoid and Swagelok metering valve and connected everything to provide co2 to my calcium reactor. I've checked and rechecked for leaks. Here's what's happened:

I set the working pressure to 30 psi and set my bubble count. I checked on the setup a couple hours later and found that the working pressure had dropped to around 29 psi and the bubble count was way down. I figured maybe the diaphram expanded a little bit or something. I slightly turned the regulator knob to set the working pressure back to 30 psi and reset the bubble count.

All's good for around two days until I noticed a slower bubble rate and the working pressure is back to around 29 psi. This time I don't fiddle with the regulator but rather reset the bubble rate as I'm thinking the working pressure just has to settle in and balance with the entire system.

So now things seem to be working well until after a couple days I notice the bubble rate exceedingly fast and notice that the working pressure has crept up to 31 psi. I reset the bubble rate.

After a couple days the working pressure creeps back down to around 29 psi where I once again reset the bubble rate.

And once again, after a couple days, the working pressure goes back up to around 31 psi. I want to check for leaks again so I simply shut off a john guest valve that connects the co2 output into the calcium reactor. I then turned off the co2 tank supplying co2 to the regulator. So, essentially, if there are no leaks through the regulator, Burkert and metering valves, bubble counter, and tubing into the reactor, I'm thinking that the working pressure gage should remain at 31 psi.

I checked the setup the following day, and the working pressure gage had risen to 35 psi. So I don't know what's going on. Three days after shutting the John Guest valve and having no co2 supplied from the tank, the working pressure gage still reads 35 psi.

Maybe the regulator has problems around the 30 psi range. So I increase the working pressure to 40 psi and set the bubble rate. The exact same thing happened with the working pressure rising and falling.

Is this a bad regulator? Do they all fluctuate slightly and you have to find a "sweet spot"? I would think if there was a leak in the diaphram that the working pressure would continue to decrease, not bounce up and down? Are these regulators repairable? Unfortunately, the return period has expired.

Thanks for any help and advice.

It sounds like you have a clog somewhere in your co2 tubing (post needle valve) or you have a small leak in your post body. To isolate the problem from the co2 tubing, just run the system on it own without the co2 tubing/ca reactor attached. If the problem still persists then you know something wrong with the reg or the post body.

Thanks for the replies. You know, I thought about that, the fact that the rig is in the furnace room. But the temp swings just aren't that big, in fact it stays a pretty constant 70 in the room. Also, my jbj regulator was in the same location for the last 5 years and I never had issues with changing bubble rates.

I'll start trouble shooting to look for a clog. I may just dissamble the post body and carefully reassemble again.

Thanks again!

Very good deal for a pair of swagelok s series needle valves. You can share the other valve with another member. Dont keep it if you dont plan to use it.

Anyone diffusing co2 to 2 ca reactors? This is a brand new stainless steel Victor SGT500 dual output dual solenoid system.
127f3c616e93686db20b8042ca2c5272.jpg

d844ae62fb1c77fb7f07e1943ca6afcf.jpg

73acd80a53cfffa8712fd4ba4b1c7b60.jpg

All parts are brand new.

I want to get an e-mail warning from my system controller, when the liquid runs out in the CO2 tank.

Is there a way to add a digital sensor that does that? Perhaps I could just unscrew the high pressure gauge and put it between the gauge and the regulator body.

If there is one, is there a better place to put it or is there a gauge that is mechanical but also has the digital sensor build into it?

What type of aquarium controller are you using? The way I would do it is set the alarm on my Reef Keeper to go off if my solenoid remained open for say 12 hours straight. Then you'd know you would either have an empty tank or need to increase your bubble rate. I believe you can do the same with an Apex...

If I had to do it over again I'd likely go with an Apex, but I'm happy enough with my Reef Keeper. Neptune seems to trump Digital Aquatics in customer service hands down. I can say from experience that DA has never gone out of their way to help with any technical issues I've had.

I'm also looking at ReefAi but it's not available yet. It is feature rich and I think that the programmability will be powerful but how easy will it be? It will be a while before I can put water in my tank so I have some time to wait and then decide.

Back