How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

You sure the bubble counter is filled with a fluid so you can actually see the gas going through it?

PlanetAquariums 171g (60x30x22) - RoyalExclusiv Dreambox - Bubble King Double Cone 200
**Total system volume - 225g**

How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Seems you are getting CO2 into the reactor. Are you saying you don't have any bubbles in the bubble counter? Maybe a picture of the setup would help?

Posted before you added the pix.

Are you sure the bubble counter has fluid in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 24V 2506. I ordered a 24V AC adapter for it and noticed it only has 2 wires. Does the 2506 require a ground wire to function properly?

Terrific info on how to test a used dual regulator, Also, it's good to know that a single stage regulator dumps gas when the tank gets low, thanks alanle.

Couple questions.

How important is a check valve?
Any problem using polypropylene tubing for CO2?

Terrific info on how to test a used dual regulator, Also, it's good to know that a single stage regulator dumps gas when the tank gets low, thanks alanle.

Couple questions.

How important is a check valve?
Any problem using polypropylene tubing for CO2?

check valve is very important. Your feed line to the reactors are adding pressure. I'm assuming the feed line (input) pressure is greater then your effluent (output) therefore it needs to go somewhere, which can be your CO2 feed. You don't want salt water getting into your valves/regulator when the CO2 pressure drops lower then the input of the water.

Great queston on the poly tubing. I'd like to know as well.

check valve is very important. Your feed line to the reactors are adding pressure. I'm assuming the feed line (input) pressure is greater then your effluent (output) therefore it needs to go somewhere, which can be your CO2 feed. You don't want salt water getting into your valves/regulator when the CO2 pressure drops lower then the input of the water.

Great queston on the poly tubing. I'd like to know as well.

Instead of a check valve, could the needle valve could be placed higher than aquarium?

Polypropylene has excellent resistance to CO2, just not sure if it's a bad choice for another reason.

Instead of a check valve, could the needle valve could be placed higher than aquarium?

Polypropylene has excellent resistance to CO2, just not sure if it's a bad choice for another reason.

No. You need a check valve. What kind of needle valve do you have? Just buy a nice check valve from mcmaster and connect it to the output of the needle valve.

The needle valve that came with my regulator was junk, so I replaced it with a Dwyer air meter which is not much better for fine adjustment. Anyway, I did get water in the Dwyer so I placed it above the aquarium, which solved that problem. I have a hard time trusting any check valve. In my mind, it's not if they fail but when.

Anyone know what brand the Airgas Y12 regulators are? Looking for some internal parts but I don't know who the real manufacturer is.

Thanks.

I have 2 spare systems available. These were built for a show and I don't need it anymore. Regulator is a dual stage GO (rebranded from Swagelok). Clippard solenoid and stainless Parker needle valve. All parts are new.
653193fd43d6b8f2e7565ec30157372c.jpg
f027a32ea2ffe169c93c678c15aaf65d.jpg

Hows this for a metering valve?

182351372281 I have an offer of $45 on it.

Then i have an offer on this reg.

Hows this for a metering valve?

182351372281 I have an offer of $45 on it.

Then i have an offer on this reg.

Reg looks good but be aware that it is not stainless but nickel plates brass. It will be fine for our use.

Metering valve looks to be correct.

So how do I get the metering valve connected to my fitting? I feel like I need an additional connector but I'm not sure what kind of connector?

I have purchased a CP brass regulator. In getting the metering valve and solenoid, should I keep all the metals brass or is is OK to mix brass and stainless steel? Thinking there could be issues with galvanic corrosion?

Hello, I stumble across this tread on accident and have read all the way through it. It has made me want to build a regulator for you Co2 setup. I have been on ebay looking and came up with this for my first build.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291860296916?ul_noapp=true.
I'm not trying to get a highend regulator right now, just something that is better than my current one which is rusted out and not even sure if it works.

Back