How to keep an Idiot busy...150DD

Wow, one of the best planets I've seen! I hope mine looks like that someday! Do you dose any coral food or trace elements to keep such bold colors?

Wow, one of the best planets I've seen! I hope mine looks like that someday! Do you dose any coral food or trace elements to keep such bold colors?

The crazy thing is that the colors of Patrick's reef are even more vivid in person. I was in awe of the deep, bright, and rich color pallet of his corals.

The crazy thing is that the colors of Patrick's reef are even more vivid in person. I was in awe of the deep, bright, and rich color pallet of his corals.
Thanks for the compliment, it's always nice to show off my tank to another reefer who can appreciate the work it took to get there.

Sometimes I do. I've tried reef energy, seachem fuel, KZ aminos coral vitalizer b-balance and pohls extra. They definitely help and the extra seems to work the best but only if you have 0 nitrate and phosphate. didn't see any change from the b-balance or when I dosed any of them with p04 above .04.
What seems necessary is having very stable alk. My dosing pump has been pretty dialed in for awhile now and keeps alk at 8. And strong enough light in the right spectrum. When running my AI's with only blue and white leds it wasn't cutting it. When I added the t5's it made a world of a difference in a few weeks. And I don't over clean my water. Passive activated carbon and no gfo no vodka vinegar. My p04 stays under .08. I do run a 55 watt UV for water clarity that helps with light penetration and fish health but that doesn't matter. The magic ticket seems to be fish poo. I feed my tank every time I look at it which is a lot. And I think this for 3 reasons, my colors got a lot better when my tank was fully stocked. The colors in my frag tank aren't as good and that water is supplied from the sump in a way that it is much cleaner than the display. When I did a 3 day lights out for cyano and didn't feed the fish my sps colors shifted and my scroll coral bleached.

These deep dimension tanks are really awesome. I've been lusting over a 300DD for awhile now. Just a bit worried about the ability of my floor to hold the thing up.

These deep dimension tanks are really awesome. I've been lusting over a 300DD for awhile now. Just a bit worried about the ability of my floor to hold the thing up.
Aren't they? I got to see a 300dd fowlr in person and it was impressive. Looked like it was more than double my tank for some reason. I supported my floor with a 4x4 header to keep it from sagging over time. One of the 4 joist it covers was higher than the other 3 and hasn't moved yet.
IMG_2773_zps3de24a18.jpg

So I've been learning how to use this dslr so I haven't been updating. In the past few months I've let my calcium drop to 300. When I started bringing it back up I started losing my scans and some chalices. Not sure if it was tied together or coincidental. I've also started running cheato in a fuge and am now trying to run activated carbon again although just passively. Things have grown in nicely and I'm pretty happy with things overall.

Patrick your shots are sick man I love that reflection shot I need to come over and see this beast in person we can talk tanks and cameras lol

Thanks for the compliment, it's always nice to show off my tank to another reefer who can appreciate the work it took to get there.

Sometimes I do. I've tried reef energy, seachem fuel, KZ aminos coral vitalizer b-balance and pohls extra. They definitely help and the extra seems to work the best but only if you have 0 nitrate and phosphate. didn't see any change from the b-balance or when I dosed any of them with p04 above .04.
What seems necessary is having very stable alk. My dosing pump has been pretty dialed in for awhile now and keeps alk at 8. And strong enough light in the right spectrum. When running my AI's with only blue and white leds it wasn't cutting it. When I added the t5's it made a world of a difference in a few weeks. And I don't over clean my water. Passive activated carbon and no gfo no vodka vinegar. My p04 stays under .08. I do run a 55 watt UV for water clarity that helps with light penetration and fish health but that doesn't matter. The magic ticket seems to be fish poo. I feed my tank every time I look at it which is a lot. And I think this for 3 reasons, my colors got a lot better when my tank was fully stocked. The colors in my frag tank aren't as good and that water is supplied from the sump in a way that it is much cleaner than the display. When I did a 3 day lights out for cyano and didn't feed the fish my sps colors shifted and my scroll coral bleached.

your tank is very impressive.

have you read the sps feeding thread by biggles in the SPS forum?
the coral don't seem to feed on fish waist at all. not criticizing in the least, just asking for discussion.

Back