I need a "majano anemone" eater

What about a black longspine urchin? I hear that they munch on hair algae, etc. Anyone have any experiences with them eating small, pest anemones?

Also, I'd like to know if they eat the anemone and actually get RID of them or if they just eat parts and leave the rest to regenerate...

Hi, a very old thread however I have a "majano anemone" and need to get rid of it before it spreads.

IMG

My tank is only 3 weeks into first cycle so considering removing the affected rock, put it in salt water and treat it. Been to 2 LFS and both have recommended Red Sea Aiptasia x.

One also had a a chocolate chip starfish which has been mentioned above so a consideration although they eat coral so would need to think carefully before I buy and not sure if it would be the answer?

Can anyone help?

Hi, a very old thread however I have a "majano anemone" and need to get rid of it before it spreads.

IMG

My tank is only 3 weeks into first cycle so considering removing the affected rock, put it in salt water and treat it. Been to 2 LFS and both have recommended Red Sea Aiptasia x.

One also had a a chocolate chip starfish which has been mentioned above so a consideration although they eat coral so would need to think carefully before I buy and not sure if it would be the answer?

Can anyone help?
take rock out and torch the anemone

Mine are gone and I had a bunch. I solved it with getting a Matted File fish and going after the ones I could get to with Kalk paste.

Cannot find one in my tank now. I also used a Majano wand.

I know this isn't practical for most people, but I went to Long Island, NY and collected a school of twin spot butterflies (Caribbean orphans) and proceeded to feed them, rock by rock, my mojano covered live rock. They picked them clean, and a year later, not a single one has grown back!

Hi there.....

My tank is being plagued by majano anemones. They are every where, even places where i cant reach. I know that i could take up all my live rock and try to remove them manualy - but this would just be such a major job for me.....
Many of them are in such little holes in the rocks that i couldnt be sure of which or which not i have removed them entirely if i hat done it by hand....

So PLEASEEEE tell me that there are some sort of creature out there that will eat this pest anemone !!! I have been told that a Copperband Butterfly maybe could do the job for me but is this true.........

Thanks in advance -
The owner of 50-60 Majano anemones....
Brian - Denmark...

I am surprised no one mentioned FileFish yet! I just added a matted filefish for Aiptasia and Mojano (I only have 2 small ones). He hasn't touched it so far, it's day 3 now. Will report back if he eats them but other people have had success with it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216639

I have majanos and my matted filefish eats them. I QTed the filefish for a couple of weeks and added liverock with majanos on them, and they all slowly disappeared. However, now that the filefish is in my DT, the problem is that it prefers the food that I feed my tank. I am worried that the majanos will grow faster than the filefish will/can eat them. Only time will tell if it can actually take care of all of the majanos.

I have majanos and my matted filefish eats them. I QTed the filefish for a couple of weeks and added liverock with majanos on them, and they all slowly disappeared. However, now that the filefish is in my DT, the problem is that it prefers the food that I feed my tank. I am worried that the majanos will grow faster than the filefish will/can eat them. Only time will tell if it can actually take care of all of the majanos.
X2

Torch = heat. Try a Bernzomatic.

Kleins butterfly. My tank was infested, overgrown with them. I purchased one, and after almost a week, they were all gone. Now, it eats anything I feed the other fish. Never touches my LPS's. I have a rock with some in my other tank. I am going to put it in the tank with the Kleins and see if it will take care of business again.

Decided to take rock out of tank and move to a bucket of saltwater.

Placed in a boiling bucket of water for 10 mins and then moved to a bucket of RO water and now sitting in my shed in saltwater. Did this in the garden as I have read threads where rock give off a toxin and can be poisonous.

Will put back into tank tomorrow, hope rock hasn't died as might trigger a mini cycle.

Kleins butterfly. My tank was infested, overgrown with them. I purchased one, and after almost a week, they were all gone. Now, it eats anything I feed the other fish. Never touches my LPS's. I have a rock with some in my other tank. I am going to put it in the tank with the Kleins and see if it will take care of business again.

A Kleini Butterfly wiped mine out.

I put that one rock that had mejanos on it from my 90g into my 150g that has my Kleins butterfly. They were all gone within 30 min. And he still ate my Mysis and flake food later in the evening.

Back