Lanthanum chloride

I have read a lot of this thread, however not every post. Several posts lead me to think some people are over dosing their tanks with LC. When I workied in the aquarium industry some customers had issues while dosing LC. A manufacturer said you should never dose LC without knowing you Po4 levels first. If there is no or very little phosphates LC may bind with and percipate out calcium, if bad enough producing cloudiness. The Ca participate can kill sensitive fish like wrasses and others by clogging their gills. I have used it with good success, however I always dosed at half the recommended dose. I have seen no mention of it possibly binding with calcium before.

Last edited:
It actually binds carbonate not calcium in lieu of of phosphate. Both the lanthanum carbonate an lanthanum phosphate precipitants can clog breathing appartuses when it's not carefully pre filtered. Free unbound lanthanum can also enter the tank when it's not dosed slowly to high flow

tmz
Clearly you know more about the chemistry involved then I do, so I stand corrected. Thank you. The real point is it can kill our fish if over dosed.

yes that's the point. Fish and filter feeders too. It needs to be dosed slowly in high flow and then filtered for precipitants. Cloudy water in the tank is a bad thing.

ends to a means.... again

ends to a means.... again

I still get asked in PMs (and otherwise) if I still use LaCl3.
The answer is yes.
When administered properly, (diluted) in front of micron (or sand) filters, LaCl3 is safely used on other (higher forms) of life: dialysis in humans, swimming pools, penguin displays etc.etc.
It can be safe to use in reef aquaria.
But administered improperly, it can be very unsafe.
Not a big surprise.

I won't comment on the other methods people use to administer lanthanum chloride because that's not how I use it.
Caveat emptor!

Screenshot_2016-12-27-17-12-42-800x450_zpstwxnjgnz.png

Last edited:
Gary...
I treat my total water volume of 120 gallons with 3 to 4 milliliters of lanthanum Chloride (SeaKelar Phosphate remover for Spa) mixed in 2 quarts of RO/DI water once a week. I drip the lanthanum Chloride and RO/DI water into a 5 micron sock, that process normally takes 4 or 5 hours. When the solution has been exhausted, I remove the 5 micron sock. Does the process sound "ok"..?
I had quite a bit of green algae on my rock, the rock was gotten from Reef Cleaners. Most of the green algae has receded over the last few months, but not entirely gone. I haven't been able to get a phosphate reading from my Hanna Phosphate checker, only 0.00 I know the phosphates might not register if their high.
I'm beginning to think my problem is really with the dry rock I used.

I found this reactor and decided to give it a shot. Along with reactor i ordered what they claim is pure 100% Lanthanum Chloride (1000ml). I plan to run a slow water flowand do 20ml LC mixed in 1 gal of RODI water dose the diluted mixture say 6ml per day. 6ml will also be cut into smaller dosing quantity. Probably 0.5ml every 2 hrs.
Reactor will flow out to a BRS canister with a 5 Macron sediment filter then into sump with a 5-10 macron filter sock.
here are few pics of items i purchased. (havent installed them yet still waiting on few items to arrive)

Attachments

• lanthanum-chloride-solution-250-ml.jpg
    lanthanum-chloride-solution-250-ml.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2
I am also interested in where the reactor was purchased.. I saw the pictures on Google, but could not find the reactor.

And also, you guys that are dripping into the neck of your skimmer, how exactly are you doing so? Did you cut a tiny hole in the top? I'm asking because I have an iv bag that I could use to inject a dilute of ro/di with LC. I just don't know where to inject the solution..

From note 5

Hey guys. I bought this lanthanum reactor from a company in Spain. The reactor is $260 plus $30 for 2 bottles of pure lanthanum chloride 500ml each plus $49 for shipping via ups.
Company is http://www.derkroon.com

Go figure, Europe, is again on the cutting edge of the saltwater hobby.

some of our best equipment for this hobby comes from Germany and true Europe is ahead when it comes to this kinda technology.
This reactor and website has been up and i first found them back in 2014
(my original post)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22877174#post22877174
i was going to order back then but my mother passed away and some family issue came up to where i was not able to.
anyways, i hope its good quality reactor and does what it claims.
stay tuned.

Great job, keeping some of us amateurs in the game!!!

I'm still trying to figure out why I can't measure my phosphates with the Hanna checker. I know I have at least some in my tank.

What model checker r u using. Regular phos checker will not read ultra low and will give u 0 while they make a checker for phosphorus ultra low which can read ultra low just have to convert the reading to phosphate. ( a simple chart)

Ha......I thought I had the right one! Thanks for your help. This hobby can be so frustrating.
Again thanks for your help
Ed

Back