Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
I recently shut down one of my smaller tanks that had been home to six leopards and I also took most of the water out and then sifted gently through the sand and got them all out. Three went into my big display and three were sold. Three that I kept are all doing fine.

Wierd to lose them once they are eating. I had a male blue star progressively lose weight even though it was eating and ultimately die, but I ascribed that to some kind of underlying disease.

I've had a female meleagris for well over a year now in my 40 breeder. Eats everything including flake like a champ. I had my LFS hold her for a month in one of their frag tanks to increase my chances of getting one that did well

Quick question. Just added a female bipartitus into my 2 yr old 75g reef. Because I have crushed coral, I made a 3 inch sand bed around 12 inches long, 4 inches wide barriered by rubble on one side of the tank.

Surprisingly it hid under a live rock for only the 1st 2 hrs, its been swimming around for the past 6 hrs. Now my lights are fading and it is hovering on the opposite side of the sand really low. Will it eventually find the finer sand section im assuming? I hope it does before lights out, but i doubt it.

Well, it didn't find it and ended up burrowing in the crushed coral. Crossing my fingers it will be ok. When I got it from LA, its upper lip looked a little "chapped" as well, dont know how the beak is supposed to look..

Why not trap them instead of digging them out of the sand? I'm pretty sure I could catch my leopard with my hand but I know I could have him in the trap inside of 15 minutes.

Speaking of digging them out of the sand...

Anyone done TTM on a leopard wrasse? I can put a dish of sand in each tank, but I usually transfer in the morning before lights are on - I'm thinking I will have to dig him out of the sand for transfer, but is there an easier or less stressful way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of digging them out of the sand...

Anyone done TTM on a leopard wrasse? I can put a dish of sand in each tank, but I usually transfer in the morning before lights are on - I'm thinking I will have to dig him out of the sand for transfer, but is there an easier or less stressful way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have for a few transfers on some potters before they died. Not sure what killed them.

Also I DO believe stress will kill these fish. I moved my large established ornate into a temporary holding bin with sand, but it was so disoriented that it ended up dying. Perfectly healthy before this ordeal.

Did you provide a dish of sand, and dig it out for the transfer?

yes i did provide a dish of sand but i didn't need to dig it out since you can do transfers any time of the day so long as each transfer duration doesn't exceed 72 hours. i just needed two plastic containers and a bag of sand. after each transfer, i threw away the sand, cleaned the container and let it dry.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428

^^ that's the link for ttm.

Ive always read of people putting tupperwares of sand on bare bottom tanks working for Leopards. So I figured id create 2 sections of my tank (back corners) and remove my crushed coral and add reef grade fine sand. One section is 12x5 inches, the other is 6x7, both arund 2-3 inches deep.

Long story short, unless I guide her towards that area (1st 2 nights she slept in the fine sand)at night, she ends up always burrowing in the crushed coral.

Granted its only been 1 week, but I would think she would find those sand areas after sleeping there but obviously that assumption was faulty. Also, it was faulty that I assumed that tupperware idea would work in a crushed coral tank like it did with barebottom...

Any thoughts on what i should do? Initial gut is that i should give it another week and it will eventually find the finer sand..

Leopard Wrasse Primer

Ive always read of people putting tupperwares of sand on bare bottom tanks working for Leopards. So I figured id create 2 sections of my tank (back corners) and remove my crushed coral and add reef grade fine sand. One section is 12x5 inches, the other is 6x7, both arund 2-3 inches deep.

Long story short, unless I guide her towards that area (1st 2 nights she slept in the fine sand)at night, she ends up always burrowing in the crushed coral.

Granted its only been 1 week, but I would think she would find those sand areas after sleeping there but obviously that assumption was faulty. Also, it was faulty that I assumed that tupperware idea would work in a crushed coral tank like it did with barebottom...

Any thoughts on what i should do? Initial gut is that i should give it another week and it will eventually find the finer sand..

These leopards are smart. I had a large ornate that recently died (I'm thinking stress induced cuz it was established in my tank) while in a holding bin during my upgrade. I put a red party cup full of sand in the bin, but not for him. It was for my new tank to seed the new sand. He managed to burrow himself in the cup and slept with his out the whole time until he died.

Point being they manage to find it somehow. I say watch it carefully and give it some time.

Jbdvdhp,

That's what im going to do. But you are emphasizing my point, in a bare bin with one cup of sand the wrasse can easily find it since there's nowhwere else to bury. . But will it find it if it also has 100+ other spots to burrow itself?

I've never bothered to prophylactically treat any of my leopards. Observation in my invert QT has proven satisfactory in all case. Pretty resistant fish to skin parasites. I've had about 25 over the years, and while some have not survived acclimation, none have come in with observable ich.

another one of my leopards that completed prophylaxis/qt and has been happy as ever was transitioning and it happened quick over a couple days and got video of it for my reference. sorry for the poor video quality.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvi6XcxB2yg" frameborder="10" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video.. on Day 6, my female bipartitus is officially eating Hikari and PE Mysis. She is also finally comfortable parousing throughout the whole tank.

But she still decides to burrow for sleep in various places, 75% of the time in my crushed coral section. So far no abrasions but hope that it will eventually decide to settle in a fine sand spot.

Back