Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
I decided to try my hand at Leopard Wrasses again. I got two Meleagris Leopard, both females, one about 6 weeks ago and a second one about 3 weeks ago. Both are doing very well. The first one is about 2.5 inches and the second one just over 3 inches. Both are eating well and is getting fat.

Was there any issues between them when they first saw each other?

Reading back a bit, I would always recommend keeping a new addition in an acclimation box for a couple of days if there are existing wrasses. Doing this and then releasing just add the lights are going out has left me with basically no issues in adding new wrasses.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Was there any issues between them when they first saw each other?

There were none. Now they are never too far apart. The larger one is quite a bit darker. The black spots are larger and the space between the spots are much thinner resulting a much darker fish. I will try to document t the change from female to male by weekly pictures.

Color differences between my two Macropharyngodon meleagris
Larger on his way to become male, I think
attachment.php

Smaller on her way to become female
attachment.php

I decided to try my hand at Leopard Wrasses again. I got two Meleagris Leopard, both females, one about 6 weeks ago and a second one about 3 weeks ago. Both are doing very well. The first one is about 2.5 inches and the second one just over 3 inches. Both are eating well and is getting fat.
In my 320 gal tank, It seem that the wrasses are never more than 12 inches or so from each other, a lot of time with in a few cm. Does this mean that I have a pair, and can expect the larger one change color soon? Are they too small for color change?
Here is a picture of my pair. Sorry I have not clean my glass for weeks.

attachment.php

I just got two of these as well. They were eating mysis at the fish store. One went strait into hiding and the other cruised the tank for a few hours before hiding.

Just got one of these on Wednesday. Female Mel. Currently in QT with 3 Tierra anthias.

I placed a small dish with sand from the display in the tank after the second day which she started sleeping in after the third day.

QT is hospital style. Got her from LFS and was eating their mix at the store. Power head, heater, off, lights, air stone. 1.025 SG.

I'm now on day 6. She eats Frozen mysis, cyclo, and Brine. Just dosed first prazipro yesterday. Behaves beautifully and even ate after prazipro. Now chases food in the power head flow. Eats even though the anthias are the more aggressive eaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I end up adding a third M meleagris to my tank. Was at Petco earlier today. They have a healthy on in their coral tank. Been there for about 1 week, eating and fairly fat looking, healthy swimming fish. Only have skin rough up snout. From experiences in the past, these injury is not too serious, at least the minor damage I seen. Previously my wrasse healed without problem. So I bough him for 40 dollars, minus a 5 dollars discount. This wrasse is lighter and bigger than my other two. Coloration are still as juvi or female. I hope one of my three wrasses will change sex soon. I love the colors of an terminal male M. meleagris.

Next month is my potters leopard wrasses first birthday, it'll make a year since being purchased.

28310850720_9cf3eaee2b_o.png

Ornate is at 7 months now

27978088854_899c55399a_o.png

I was able to get a picture of my Leopard wrasse trio and my Flame angel pair a few minutes ago. My smallest seem to have change from juvenile color to female color. All three are about 3 inches +/- .25. From looking at pictures of Meleagris males, I don't think any of mine start changing yet. I guess they are still too young. I wonder at what size do they start changing?
attachment.php

Last edited:
I was able to get a picture of my Leopard wrasse trio and my Flame angel pair a few minutes ago. My smallest seem to have change from juvenile color to female color. All three are about 3 inches +/- .25. From looking at pictures of Meleagris males, I don't think any of mine start changing yet. I guess they are still too young. I wonder at what size do they start changing?
attachment.php

Minh from what I know there's no guarantee any of yours will ever turn male, but there's a good chance, just have to be more patient with Macropharyngodon I suppose. Good looking group of fish, they look super healthy.

My tank is large. All three seem to be hanging around each other most of the time. You don't think one will change?
Do you have a male Leopard, of any species, in your tank?

My tank is large. All three seem to be hanging around each other most of the time. You don't think one will change?
Do you have a male Leopard, of any species, in your tank?

I'm not saying one won't change, just that unlike fairy wrasses these don't always turn male. Given time with a harem, it's much more likely for the dominant female to turn. This is just based off of posts that I've read from Evolved and other user's much more versed in wrasses than I am. I just have the two leopards in my tank and I'm not sure if either of them are sub-males or just females, the potters is only 2" long so possibly still just a juvenile.

I'm not saying one won't change, just that unlike fairy wrasses these don't always turn male. Given time with a harem, it's much more likely for the dominant female to turn.
Yup. :)
Most likely you will end up with a male, but there is no guarantee and the timing is largely variable.
I just have the two leopards in my tank and I'm not sure if either of them are sub-males or just females, the potters is only 2" long so possibly still just a juvenile.
Your potters is a male.
And I'd say your ornatus is sub-male, but that's one of the hardest species to judge.

Hi Folks... looking forward to adding 2 or 3 leopard wrasses to my 65 gallon tank, which already has a Canary wrasse. Would you recommend i introduce them to an acclimation box first, or should they go in display right away.

if you used an acclimation box - do you leave them in it for more than one day, and if so, would you add sand and feed them while in the box ?

finally - anybody had any issues with aggression between leopards and canary wrasses ?

thanks for your help!

Thanks Hunter, how do you sex the potters? Just wondering. :)
The pattern on the face is the easiest way to distinguish them; the other differences can be subtle (pattern on the body and the dorsal fin coloration).

The dots on the female's head connect into lines on a male.

Too soon to be called a success story but recently got two leopard wrasses and they are eating well. Here are some fun picks at feeding time

The autofeeder has a mix of nls small and medium pellets and some flakes.
A few pellets drop down first and we have a chase
48c5dbe5274725caad69c082f049eb34.jpg

Most pellets however stay at the surface so the bipartitus female 'piano' first starts banging the feeding station to get a few pellets to drop down
0f1d15d9f02ddae1dbd063d7162844a7.jpg

Sometimes the shrimp gets in there and releases some pellets
07dddd0ec482ef2b70d85f628dfdce37.jpg

Then she gets in the feeding station to get more pellets, and more pellets drop down to the other fish waiting below
a295e5c0a27ea4310c13180eff6f7584.jpg

Eventually, both leopards get in there
88049c6836ac9f72ed1358f89500bec7.jpg

fe3b86f7de00cfc2f6162c96228946f5.jpg

The ornatus leopard wrasse is gorgeous. Can't tell if it is a female or a male though. Do you spot the change in patterns ; perhaps she is transitioning into male
617dab6965be3187538b0315be86c37e.jpg

58ffacba1464e9dd711f7e82f27de503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kept a starry leopard wrasse female (bipartitus) for around 2 years. I got it from my LFS (Aquatic collection) and it went straight into the tank (no quarantine) It is fat and healthy, and eats like a pig. It is one of the fattest fish in my tank. I will post some pics later on :)

Back