Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
My 4 wrasse come in a medium box, each only about 1 quart of water, maybe a little more. The whole box only weight 10 lbs so the total amount of water cannot be much more than a gallon. My friend ordered a Flame wrasse, much smaller. Came with about the same size box with more than a gallon of water for the 1 wrasse.
I think if you just order one wrasse, he will come with enough water. I keep this in mind next time I order fish from LA.
I meant I wanted a medium size, since ive read larger adults have a harder time acclimating to captivity

My large Potter was eating up Mysis like no tomorrow this evening. I think he will be just fine. The two smaller one also eating well. I am not sure how I am going to get them out of my QT system. Maybe they will be trap out. I will start to leave the trap in the tank and will start to feed them in the trap. Hope this will help when the time come. I also will put a nice fine sand container in tuber ware in the tank. If any of them go to sleep there, they will wake up to a new environment.

My large Potter was eating up Mysis like no tomorrow this evening. I think he will be just fine. The two smaller one also eating well. I am not sure how I am going to get them out of my QT system. Maybe they will be trap out. I will start to leave the trap in the tank and will start to feed them in the trap. Hope this will help when the time come. I also will put a nice fine sand container in tuber ware in the tank. If any of them go to sleep there, they will wake up to a new environment.
The eagle has landed.

For the first few minutes it laid on its side, but quickly stared swimming all over. Had to go back to work, but got the Nest cam watching!
097208c8cb1dc2fdbf2d5efe2757cbc8.jpg
595581efe94734aeb2925b3f023aaf48.jpg

They were doing great, no evidence of any problem so I tried to get them to my DT. The 3 Potter really overload my QT system and they all cleaned up all my pods. I have total of 7 wrasses in a 40 gal QT. One large Potter, two medium Potter and two small China, one small Melanurus, and one small Biocellatus. I just got to get some wrasse out to DT.
They all went to hind in the sand. I saw where 1 of the China, one Female Potter and the Male Potter go into the sand so I caught them. By the time I got the three fish, the water was cloudy enough to go search blind for the rest so I have to stop. I will have to get them another day. At least I got three wrasse our of the 7 in QT.

Here are pictures of the the two Potter I got into DT this afternoon

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I meant I wanted a medium size, since ive read larger adults have a harder time acclimating to captivity
You have a good point....mine I would say was a med....about 3 inches...I was happy with the size...my LFS was worried it was bigger than I wanted, but I liked the size...sometimes really small ones or larger don't acclimate as well. I have never ordered online....so if you ask for a med they send you whatever size they have?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

The eagle has landed.

For the first few minutes it laid on its side, but quickly stared swimming all over. Had to go back to work, but got the Nest cam watching!
097208c8cb1dc2fdbf2d5efe2757cbc8.jpg
595581efe94734aeb2925b3f023aaf48.jpg
Wow! Looks great.... actually a good size. Nice looking too!!!!

You have a good point....mine I would say was a med....about 3 inches...I was happy with the size...my LFS was worried it was bigger than I wanted, but I liked the size...sometimes really small ones or larger don't acclimate as well. I have never ordered online....so if you ask for a med they send you whatever size they have?

No. Live aquaria only lets you order what is available. I knew I got a large, it's all they had.

I would not worry to much. My large one, 1/2 dead when he arrived Tuesday really gorged himself the last 3 days. Eating really well

No. Live aquaria only lets you order what is available. I knew I got a large, it's all they had.
They send either the size we order or larger, which is not as good IMO. To most people an to LA larger worth more, which seem to be not the opinion of most wrasse lovers. I ordered 4 medium and got 2 medium and 2 large. I am sorry that one of two male died, but if he live, I would have to do something other than put him in my DT. I can put him in my 65 gal tank, but I am already have too many fish on that one.

So turns out I definitely have a Male Potters. Has that red marking on its dorsal.

The past 24 hrs it has started eating a ton of Hikari Mysis. I've fed it 6-7 small meals today.

My only hope is that it finally finds the sand. Past 2 nights it's been sleeping under the chunk of chaeto.

Also, did your new ones chase their reflection relentlessly? In the mornings mine has been calm, but from 3pm-8pm it paces back and forth non stop.
5860f84f8eb7a3f7a8b776e24a2e39c2.jpg
633e53c031c3682f09c8fa596ff120f5.jpg

Wrasseperts,

Good news is it found the sand last night after trying to hide under the cheato unsuccessfully.

Bad news is it keeps relentless chasing its reflection on the glass. My QT is a 20L only. I'm wondering if I should hurry and do my Prazi dose so I can move it to the DT?

My lighting is very subdued already.

Wrasseperts,

Good news is it found the sand last night after trying to hide under the cheato unsuccessfully.

Bad news is it keeps relentless chasing its reflection on the glass. My QT is a 20L only. I'm wondering if I should hurry and do my Prazi dose so I can move it to the DT?

My lighting is very subdued already.

Try covering 3 sides with black paper.

Right now one side is covered with it. I'll try 3.

But should I be concerned that the pacing will lead to bigger stress issues? He is eating mysis. But then goes back to zooming.
Yea I would try covering 3 sides. My potters never chased his reflection, but I don't QT my leopards. Eating Mysis is a good sign. I feed Hykari Mysis too, and all my Wrasses love it. I used to feed PE Mysis, but it seems my fish like Hykari better.

Yea I would try covering 3 sides. My potters never chased his reflection, but I don't QT my leopards. Eating Mysis is a good sign. I feed Hykari Mysis too, and all my Wrasses love it. I used to feed PE Mysis, but it seems my fish like Hykari better.

You could always try switching the QT to an opaque rubbmaid tub.

Day 3 it found sand. Day 4 it was back sleeping between rocks.

Its eating well with no external, visible issues for now. So far this morning its cruising around like it should, hopefully by afternoon it's not pacing again.
3eebc6582c573c16ecc9645f7969cc6b.jpg
634269b90baef70b8a30a66b334b1885.jpg

Quick update. Still eating non stop but I'm concerned.. not just because it's just pacing rapidly for 2-3 hours a day.

But at night it chooses not to sleep in a sand Tupperware and constantly looks like its rubbing its beak into the floor.

This morning, the beak is starting to look a little rough. So I think I'll be transferring this 4 inch Male into my DT very soon.

So I dosed Prazi this morning and after 72 hrs its leaving QT. I may pull it earlier and risk a partial prazi treatment since Indont know how many more nights it can keep rubbing its beak up.

Experts? Pulling early the best decision?

Back