Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
We need to change this poll. We certainly can keep multiple species of Leopard Wrasses. We should be able to vote multiple times.

We need to change this poll. We certainly can keep multiple species of Leopard Wrasses. We should be able to vote multiple times.

Yup, and there are a bunch of species missing. Lapillus, Moyer, Vivienne, Kuiters, pakako, ornate .... just off the top of my head.

I have two pairs in separate tanks. In both cases the larger has mostly turned male. Seems to get stuck, perhaps the fish version of a cross dresser :lol:

I have two pairs in separate tanks. In both cases the larger has mostly turned male. Seems to get stuck, perhaps the fish version of a cross dresser :lol:

So i had two melagris, one became male in a month, then died 18 months later, my female is still female 4 years later.

I had three blue star, the LFS had 4 tiny (1.5" babies), i bough two, then bough two more 3 days later. Only 3 survived (the first 2 and 1 of the second), but the larger of the first two became male, and the third one in a matter of days of being separated from the group was pre-male, as the male would pick on him. I sold off the larger male and one of the females after 2-3 years so number 3 was left and once the big male was gone she changed and has been male for the last year or so

I also have a potters leopard around 4 years, he has taken his time going make and you can only tell as the colors deepened.

All these fish still live together, so there is little rhyme or reason IME

That’s because I mis-spelled it. Pakoko .... I suspect it’s probably just a regional variant of meleagris.

So after having a failed attempt at purchasing through LA, I decided to go through my LFS for 2 wrasses. I've had good success with other fish from this store. He happened to have an ornate and a meleagris, both females I think.

The mel was definitely eating frozen mysis in the store and has since I got her home. The other wasn't, but both looked in very good health, so I took both.

My QT is set up with live rock, a bit of cheato I took from the DT sump to help bring in some pods, and a 2" sand bed. I did not TTM, afraid it would be too much stress.

My plan is to use the QT for 3 to 4 weeks, and provided they remain healthy and there are no signs of ick, I'll move them to the DT. I have dosed Prazi this week (got them Friday) and will likely do that one more time at least.

I've ordered some more pods to make sure I keep the population up in the QT for the ornate. Should be here by Friday. In the meantime I'm shaking a bit of cheato over the QT, and feeding a bit of mysis when I see them out.

Few questions:

1. How should I handle lighting or day/night cycles? Should I worry about that too much? They get some light from my DT, but I'm mostly running blues to help combat algae right now. I turn the overhead room light on when I get home, but timing isn't very consistent.

2. How much/often do y'all dose prazi in just a QT setting? (I'm used to twice during TTM).

3. Is there any concern if they're staying in the sand for a couple days in a row?

So after having a failed attempt at purchasing through LA, I decided to go through my LFS for 2 wrasses. I've had good success with other fish from this store. He happened to have an ornate and a meleagris, both females I think.

The mel was definitely eating frozen mysis in the store and has since I got her home. The other wasn't, but both looked in very good health, so I took both.

My QT is set up with live rock, a bit of cheato I took from the DT sump to help bring in some pods, and a 2" sand bed. I did not TTM, afraid it would be too much stress.

My plan is to use the QT for 3 to 4 weeks, and provided they remain healthy and there are no signs of ick, I'll move them to the DT. I have dosed Prazi this week (got them Friday) and will likely do that one more time at least.

I've ordered some more pods to make sure I keep the population up in the QT for the ornate. Should be here by Friday. In the meantime I'm shaking a bit of cheato over the QT, and feeding a bit of mysis when I see them out.

Few questions:

1. How should I handle lighting or day/night cycles? Should I worry about that too much? They get some light from my DT, but I'm mostly running blues to help combat algae right now. I turn the overhead room light on when I get home, but timing isn't very consistent.

2. How much/often do y'all dose prazi in just a QT setting? (I'm used to twice during TTM).

3. Is there any concern if they're staying in the sand for a couple days in a row?

I'd just get a cheap shop light and clip it on the QT set to the same time as your display.

I've never had much luck with prazi and leopards. I've done much better injecting flagyl into the mysis they were eating every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. When I just used prazi I've have quite a few just waste away even while eating well.

I'd just get a cheap shop light and clip it on the QT set to the same time as your display.

I've never had much luck with prazi and leopards. I've done much better injecting flagyl into the mysis they were eating every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. When I just used prazi I've have quite a few just waste away even while eating well.
From intern parasites right? Not the prazi, itself?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Is there a fish product for Flagyl like prazi that your using or can point me too? I tried a quick Amazon search.

Not sure. I've bought it from SeahorseSource in the past but now I just go to the feed store and thin it with water.

So update. I lost the ornate a day after posting. I think it was just lack of eating (should have left at LFS), but I did dose prazi the day before. Had been hiding in the sand for a couple of days, and was on top dead one morning.

The other is still alive and well. Eating frozen, and pods I've tried to keep in the QT.

If she stays good this week, it'll be about 30 days come Sunday, so I'm thinking of dosing Prazi one more time and then moving her to the DT shortly after.

Then I get to decide if I want to try for another leopard or 2 or just go straight to a mandarin in a few months.

Ugggghhhhhhh

Came to check this morning and found her dead. [emoji853] I may just have to forgo leopards for awhile.

Tried to politely get her out of the sand last night as I hadn't seen her in over 48 hours. She was alive then, but reburied. Not sure what happened over night.

I wanted to have just one species of Leopard Wrasse in my 360, but ended up with 2 species. All doing well now.
2 negrosensis (juvi.), 1 meleagris (juvi.) and 1 potter (male). I hope my Negrosensis mature and turn female then male. The coloration of adult Negrosensis are stunning, both female and male.
I think I eventually will remove the Potter and Meleagris.<table class="tborder" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="5" border="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" width="75%">
</td><td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">
</td><td class="alt1" title="Votes" width="12%" nowrap="nowrap" align="center">
</td><td class="alt2" width="13%" nowrap="nowrap" align="right">
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" width="75%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

I wanted to have just one species of Leopard Wrasse in my 360, but ended up with 2 species. All doing well now.
2 negrosensis (juvi.), 1 meleagris (juvi.) and 1 potter (male). I hope my Negrosensis mature and turn female then male. The coloration of adult Negrosensis are stunning, both female and male.
I think I eventually will remove the Potter and Meleagris.<table class="tborder" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="5" border="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" width="75%">
</td><td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">
</td><td class="alt1" title="Votes" width="12%" nowrap="nowrap" align="center">
</td><td class="alt2" width="13%" nowrap="nowrap" align="right">
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" width="75%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

How long have you had the Potter's? I've actually had much better luck with Choati than Potter's. All I want in my 210g for wrasses is a Choati and Potter's but so far I'm 0/3 with the Potter's. They will be doing great one day and then I suddenly never see them again.

I had him since June 2018. The only survivor of the 4 I ordered from LA. in 6/2018.
1 of the 4 was DOA and the two female died shortly after that.
attachment.php

I had him since June 2018. The only survivor of the 4 I ordered from LA. in 6/2018.
1 of the 4 was DOA and the two female died shortly after that.
attachment.php

Gives me at least a little hope. I just ordered 2 more but one came with a damaged mouth. Both are eating though. I ordered a few thousand amphipods so I'm hoping those will get at least one of these to survive. They were a bit expensive for Potter's but I don't see they very often anymore.

Back