LoJack's 144 Gallon Reef Build

And not only that, but I intend to add more rock. I just wanted to put together the main structure and shape of my reef. The skeleton if you will. It will get filled more, and I'll have a few smaller islands in the center and in the back when its all said and done.

514d04f4.jpg

Looks like your tank was used as a guitar amp in a previous life. That would explain the crack.

Build delayed slightly longer.

Tank builder just contacted me to tell me my starphire glass wasn't in this shipment ... so he will build the tank on Tuesday when the glass gets there. Slow go I guess. At least I'll have the tank I originally wanted.

Granted it will be 55" instead of 60". But this one is being built with black silicone and eurobracing like originally planned.

Will keep you posted

Sorry to hear that everything has been delayed- but at least you're getting the tank you initially wanted & you'll be happier with it in the long run.

Ugh, just heard from tank builder. Tank was supposed to be done by now, and the glass just arrived today. He'll have the tank built by tomorrow night and then I have a week before the silicone cures.

Will try and make some progress on canopy and lighting ... will keep you posted

Yup, I've had a laugh and said " yup, go figure" about a dozen times in the last 2 weeks haha.

Well I finally made some progress and have something to actually update.

I got my new tank home, and today, I finally got it down into the basement and drilled the holes for the bulkheads.

I meant to take more pictures ... but got caught up in the act of getting it done and forgot until I was finished.

Here is the best I can do for you:

A bit of plumbers putty to keep the water on the bit and keep the glass cool while drilling through it.

c8fc95a6.jpg

And then just some shots of the 1.5" Bulkheads and the 90's for the Beananimal Overflow:

768a8e70.jpg

58df469c.jpg

49231bcc.jpg

799a1b33.jpg

I'll also post the picture of the sump with the 2" Bulkhead for the Reeflo Dart. What a monster!

5caf8e56.jpg

e35f7439.jpg

243f1c9e.jpg

haha me too. It made for a very nervous drilling. I finally got it all the way here, and downstairs ... and then still had to drill the tank. There was still the possibility that something could go wrong lol. But all is well for now.

I'll be sure to keep updating ... I should be able to get a bit of work done on it now.

Well its not the color I wanted it ... but its just going to get covered in coralline anyway. I just wanted something to hide the plumbing and power cords in the meantime.

166da02d.jpg

6d2b9c07.jpg

I won't be painting the glass for the overflow though ... so it may look a little silly all said and done.

Made some more progress today.

I glued the coast to coast overflow (more challenging than expected) and I glued the baffles into my sump (Changed the plan on the fly)

So here are a few photos of trying to get the coast to coast as exact as I possibly could:

I used some clamps and a few pieces of wood I knew were square in order to get the overflow panels completely square:

373d443c.jpg

de64d9a3.jpg

And then a quick shot of the second piece going in place with a bit of weight to hold everything in place while the silicone dried. It needed a bit of adjustment during this process as it wanted to move a bit.

68d6d804.jpg

All good to go now:

d8d73269.jpg

And then a few of the tank after its back upright. Hopefully it does the trick!

f3dd72cb.jpg

888ad7e5.jpg

bab87001.jpg

That really sucks. It's to the point that it's almost comical.

There were times where I chuckled to myself ... but it was more of a creepy scary laugh than something I actually found funny.

But its good to go now ... and I just have to plumb it then fill it

Well I finally have a day off of work and I am taking a run at my plumbing.

I'm not very good with plumbing stuff, so its very time consuming for me. I'm also picky and anal so I find myself spending a lot more time on small details that don't matter all that much ... but after months and months of messing around, I want to get it just the way I want it ... since once its set up ... its permanent lol.

So here is a shot of my first stretch of plumbing. I plumbed from the sump to the inlet of the Reeflo Dart return pump.

I will continue to crawl along ... but photos will come sparingly because this isn't going very fast lol

f5f27a1c.jpg

ac48eba6.jpg

3cae034e.jpg

--Tyler

Back