LoJack's 144 Gallon Reef Build

Is that a uniseal screwed onto the bulk-head? That's one thing I'd definitely recommend. It'll allow you to take the pump off to clean it in the future.

It looks like there is a uniseal already on it but I didn't think anything could be screwed onto the threads of a bulkhead because of the thread pattern.

This 1" ball valve will eventually lead to a filter sock ... its closed off right now and will be plumbed in after I have the socks in place. I didn't want it on my standpipes in case you wait to long to change them ... and they clog up ... this will prevent that from happening

a82dd8f1.jpg

2a4ef20e.jpg

And the return lines and the loc line

d904744e.jpg

f95e41f8.jpg

8c5ac7e5.jpg

f3ffd443.jpg

And while this is a horrible photo ... it shows where the tank is set ... and where it will be when all said and done. Still a lot of work to do however

79719e86.jpg

Well I continued on with a bit more plumbing today.

Here's the photo's

76d88392.jpg

cd908cdb.jpg

The rest of the standpipes in place:

67ad6033.jpg

Ball valve on the return pump

6118a1da.jpg

Standpipes after paint

dca4726e.jpg

return line plus standpipes

7177e067.jpg

78bf31ed.jpg

1f1a0d72.jpg

Return Plumbing

308222ca.jpg

Is that a uniseal screwed onto the bulk-head? That's one thing I'd definitely recommend. It'll allow you to take the pump off to clean it in the future.

It looks like there is a uniseal already on it but I didn't think anything could be screwed onto the threads of a bulkhead because of the thread pattern.

Yeah I've got a union that allows me to remove the pump for cleaning.

Its a 2" union on the inlet to the pump and 1.5" true union ball valve on the outlet of the pump.

Turns out the basement floor isn't level (I knew this already ... my corner tank is sitting about 1/8" off from side to side.

This one works out to about 3/8" over the 55" span. This normally wouldn't be enough to warrant me to do any kind of work at all ... because once the canopy is on, you won't even notice it ... and I know that the floor is out and stand is spot on.

However, With a 55" overflow ... 3/8" over 55" ends up being noticeable. I'm skimming like a tidal wave on the left, and barely skimming the right side at all.

I don't need to get it perfect ... I just need to improve it.

Pics of the process to follow (I'm draining the tank now ... this could take a while lol)

Alright ... stand is levelled, and tank is refilling!

Final water test before I start the scape and filling with RO

Well I made some more progress.

The plumbing is done and water tested, everything is good to go. I had one small leak at the outlet of the return pump, turns out I forgot to tighten it past hand tight. Snugged it up, and now I'm golden.

Here are a few shots of the final result.

Shots of the overflow box in action:

b26c033f.jpg

cd81cbd0.jpg

A bit of a panned out shot:

63b5abb2.jpg

And from the other side: Coast to Coast baby!

56794136.jpg

A quick shot of the standpipes

ec4b5871.jpg

The overflow and the returns. The loc lines are nice because I put individual ball valves on each one to help with finetuning flow depending on what corals are in which areas of the tank.

cac77482.jpg

0c06ecb8.jpg

The power of the pump (x4 outlets ... its deadly flow for a return pump)

ba83a902.jpg

And the sump as it is right now. More equipment to come, this is just to get everything started.

e532b452.jpg

Kept plugging along and started getting rock and sand ready to go. Finalized my scape.

I will provide quite a few shots. Cameras don't do a good job of showing depth. I took pics from different angles to show the entire aquascape as best as I could.

Here goes ... let me know what you think!

dc23102c.jpg

b89ecc0c.jpg

506aaf09.jpg

6cfc395d.jpg

From the left side of the tank. Everything is kept away from the glass to aid in cleaning. It also allows for much more swimming space for the fish. I love tangs ... and tangs love open area.

fb403973.jpg

And from the Right side:

45b7a11b.jpg

And a shot with some sand. Carib Sea Special Grade

7b95cc02.jpg

Well I started on my canopy.

I only worked on it for about 3 hours and made quite a bit of progress. I need to cut out the opening for the doors, and I need to put the trim on, but I got the framework and the pillar work completed.

I'm back to work starting tomorrow for 4, 16 hour days ... so I'll try and finish it up on Friday when I start my days off.

Here it is ...

Formed up the shell out of 3/4" Oak Plywood. I hate the idea of using plywood ... but you get the oak look without the weight. For a canopy with solid oak trim, I need to save weight where I can. Plywood was one of those solutions.

a6d93589.jpg

Building up the framework for the pillars

44d6843b.jpg

c99b55fa.jpg

a18cbce9.jpg

Cut the slots out of the back for the standpipes and the return plumbing.

ef87133a.jpg

The front pillars (very time consuming ... )

0215f9e1.jpg

048d71ad.jpg

263e681f.jpg

Some close ups of the pillar structure and detail.

66ba9f0e.jpg

8f72457e.jpg

921c8ffe.jpg

de98a6eb.jpg

Still a ton of sanding to do. The joints on the canopy are not nearly as nice as the joints on the stand ... but after sanding, filling, and staining ... they shouldn't even be noticeable.

And this shot I included because when I was trying to learn how to build these pillars ... this was the biggest question. How do you build up for depth? I'm not sure if this is how its supposed to be done ... but its how I chose to do it.

Also the reason for choosing plywood. All of the pieces in this photo are 3/4" solid oak flat stock and very heavy.

f5b8738d.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

With how fast this came along, I'm thinking on Friday when I get back to it I should be able to have the trim and the doors done, and then stain it and paint the inside the next day. I am getting close to being done with the construction aspect of the build.

The cycle of the tank is coming along nicely as well. I've got massive Ammonia and Nitrite levels on the go ... which is great.

Once done the canopy ... I'll focus on soldering up my LED's and heat sinks, as well as learning the dimmable drivers and lighting controllers that I'll be working with.

Stay Tuned!

Got test kits all parameters are

salinity 1.022
ph 7.5
Alk 300 ppm
calcium 450
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
hardness 1000 very hard

I'm gonna do another water change on Tuesday and check again I think my nitrates are from fish waste and are low. If everything is in check I'll buy some corals.

Looks great! Can't believe you said you're a rookie in the shop. That stand looks fantastic.

Thanks!

Got test kits all parameters are

salinity 1.022
ph 7.5
Alk 300 ppm
calcium 450
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
hardness 1000 very hard

I'm gonna do another water change on Tuesday and check again I think my nitrates are from fish waste and are low. If everything is in check I'll buy some corals.

Sweet. Seems random, did you post this in the right thread? lol

WOW. AMAZING job LoJack.

Thanks a lot ... I can't wait to get it all finished, doors on and stained and have the stand and canopy completed. Its been a very long project to say the least.

Back