Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse strange behavior

Halo_003

I picked up a multicolor Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse last weekend, it and a green reef chromis are currently undergoing tank transfer treatment as a preemptive against getting ich in my DT. I've read all over that wrasses in general are very active and skittish fish. The one I have is wild caught and in excellent health so far as I can tell, nothing wrong with it. And basically since I got it it has been hiding in the PVC fittings in the bottom of the bucket I'm using for TTM. The owner of my LFS told me that it would be very shy for the first couple of weeks even in QT, so I sort of expected that.

However, what strikes me as odd is that the wrasse is so... social? It will literally let me pick it up so long as it stays in the water (we're talking to the extent that it was sitting in my hand an inch below the water line so I could check it for any symptoms, which I saw none of). If I pull my hand out it does the normal fish out of water thing. Is it normal behavior for it to let itself get handled like that? Obviously I'm being extremely gentle with it, but I've never had a fish that was okay with being touched, let alone held.

Well that is interesting, I've heard of some gobies etc that will perch in your hands but never figured a wrasse would. I was concerned it was some kind of sign of illness, but I'm glad it isn't. Here's what I'm talking about, crappy cell phone photo though.

IMG_20140613_230916968_zps72ae509c.jpg

It will just hang out in my hand, making no real effort to get away. I thought it was strange. Thank you though, I'm glad to clear that up! :fun2:

My C. laboutei has swam into my hand on occasion. Not to the extent your is doing of course. Also, you may know this but he looks rather skinny. If possible, feed 2-3 times per day to get him fattened up :)

my lubbocks is very social as well, always out and about, jumps rite in the middle of everyone at feeding time, loves black worms lol

I had one that was a cool fish. He was a little to aggressive in quarantine with other halichoreus wrasses for my liking. I ended up putting it in my fowlr instead and although it was never bothered by anyone, it put itself in an upper corner of the tank and never would even look at food. I suspect feeding time was a little too crazy for him. I ended up giving him to a friend, and I think he still has him.

I don't think its all that strange he lets you hold him in there. He has probably learned there isnt really anything he can do to get away from you in such a small space. I TTM a bunch of wrasses and they were much like that toward the end of the ttm process. First one, not so much. But I guarantee once he's in your display, he won't come over looking for a hug. lol

My large Earls is really tame like that but only when he knows he's getting fed. I've had new wrasses act that way when being picked up but it was more of a playing dead type of behavior.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I purchased a fairy wrasse today, not 5 minutes in my aquarium it was swimming in my hands and calmly allowing me to breech the water surface...sorta how a cat or dog would lay in ur lap. It was really touching and possibly becoming my favorite fish.

Well that is interesting, I've heard of some gobies etc that will perch in your hands but never figured a wrasse would. I was concerned it was some kind of sign of illness, but I'm glad it isn't. Here's what I'm talking about, crappy cell phone photo though.

IMG_20140613_230916968_zps72ae509c.jpg

It will just hang out in my hand, making no real effort to get away. I thought it was strange. Thank you though, I'm glad to clear that up! :fun2:

That fish is VERY skinny.

Back