Magnifica Split

OrionN

Moved on
I went out of town yesterday AM before the light on and came back last night after the light out. This morning, when the light come on, instead of having one Purple Tip Magnifica, I have two fully formed. Sometime in the last 36 hrs my Mag started and completed the split. I did not even see it until it is done. Often, when this happened in the past, the Mag would looks poorly, partially deflated, then split. I did not see him yesterday and the split started and completed sometime in 36 hrs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Magnifica2019072201PurpleTipSplitResized.jpg
    Magnifica2019072201PurpleTipSplitResized.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2
That's pretty cool and probably less stressful for you that it happened while you were gone.

I wonder if we see less mag splits because it's often more experienced reefers keeping them? Not to say as the inexperienced don't try but as sensitive as they are most don't make it long. Whereas bta are more forgiving and tolerate less then ideal. So while conditions allow survival they are not happy and it causes many splits. Just a thought anyways.

very cool - has it split before? How long have you had it? As others started I did not know they split like BTA's.

I had this one for a few years. I think 3 years. It is not one of my oldest Magnifica so I don't keep track of his captive age. I have other Magnifica split before , but not him.

I went out of town yesterday AM before the light on and came back last night after the light out. This morning, when the light come on, instead of having one Purple Tip Magnifica, I have two fully formed. Sometime in the last 36 hrs my Mag started and completed the split. I did not even see it until it is done. Often, when this happened in the past, the Mag would looks poorly, partially deflated, then split. I did not see him yesterday and the split started and completed sometime in 36 hrs.

attachment.php

Nice!
Unfortunately my mag still hasn't attracted any Zooxanthellae and by now it seems to be in decline since it also isn't really eating.

BTW, is that a Black Photon clown in the gigantea?

Very cool! I've had one mag since November, 2001. In all that time it has only divided twice. I have a purple base I've had for almost that long (I got it a couple of years after the first one), and it's only divided twice. So, it seems to be a rare occurence in captivity.

Thanks Everybody. Took him out. Chisel the rock with him on it and gave him to a really good friend. Hope he will live a long happy life there.

Back