manos'reef

manosdr

I live in Rethimnon Crete Greece and

I began my marine aquarium in January 2003 after 25 years occupation with various types of aquariums of fresh water, with big enthusiasm.
The aquarium was from glass with dimensions length 150 cm( 59 inc), depth 50 cm(19,7 inc) and height of 62 cm(24,4 inc).
The height of water is 54 cm (21,2 inc), that is to say total volume of water 405 litres(102 gal).
I placed tow big internal filters of Juwel Jumbo that is described below, because the aquarium is found in lounge and should because the aesthetics of space have
existed nothing obvious round the aquarium. Also was impossible because lack of space to be created sump/refurium.
I filled the aquarium with water in which I had put salt of Red Sea and after few days I put live sand with height 7 cm(2,75 inc).
After 15 days I began to place progressively live live rock, initially 50 kgr(110 lb) and progressively in 3 months I reached the 80 kgr(176 lb).
I studied enough how it should is placed the rock so that I create caves and openings in order to can the fishes and the others live be hidden but also exists
circulation of water and tried I do not create a lot of dead areas with null circulation of water.
PROFILE OF AQUARIUM
405 litres(102 gal) aquarium. Aquarium from glass 15 mm(0,59 inc) placed in the wall.
EQUIPMENT

CIRCULATION
Initially the circulation was from two internal filters 2000 l/h(500gal/h) and two pumps 300 g/h and 700 g/h respectively. Later I placed also other pumps behind the rock and front from this so that exists circulation round this so that I reach globally to have circulation 25 X water volume that is to say 2000 gal/h.
Finally they were placed 6 pumps in wavemaker Natural wave.

FILTRATION
Two filters Juwel Jumbo internally with pump each 250 gal/h the one (biological) with Siporax and blue sponges and the other (chemical) with phosphates-removal (Elimi-phos, Phosquard and Green-X) and active carbon Fluval.
In October 2004 I before placed sand-filter Otto-700 and from this it was connected external filter with carbon and blue sponge of that was pre-filter os sand-lilter.
Initially I used for Skimmer the Prizm of Red Sea however it was judged that it was insufficient for the size of aquarium and after operation of 15 months it was replaced
with the Skimmer Remora of Aqua C with pump Maxi-Jet 300 gal/h which improved considerably the quality of water.

LIGHTING
Two T8 2X40 watt one marine glo blue actinic and the other power glo 18000 kelvin, and 4X54 watt T5 Arkadia the three marine white 14000 kelvin and the other marine blue actinic.The two T8 turn on for 14 hours and the four T5 turn on for 12 hours that is to say turn on one hour after T8 and close one hour before the T8.

REST EQUIPMENT
For two years I use for denitrification Sera Denitrator. Also I use UV Tetratec 5 watt with pump 175 gal/h in operation 30 days of month.
Also I use Refractometer RHS-10 ATC for precise measurement of salinity.
Also finally I have in operation chiller Sfiligoi Super Flite regulated maintains the temperature the summer from 80 F to 81,5 F. All the equipment is connected with two simulators of tendency for protection from outage.
Finally I use Reverse Osmosis RO-MAN 6 stages with DI unit 100 gal/day.
Two 300 watt heaters with controller.

PARAMETERS OF WATER
Ca:370-400 mg/l Alkalinity:2,8-3,5 meq/l PH:7,9-8,1 NH3/NH4:0 NO2:0 NO3:0 PO4:0 KH:8-10 dkh Salinity:1025 Mg:1300 Temperature: winter 78,8 F summer:81,5 F.

CHANGES OF WATER
I change 20% of water each 30 days with water from 6 stages-DI Rev. Osmosis RO-MAN. I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt.

RESIDENTS
FISHES
Blue(hippo) Tang
Yellow Tang
2 Percula Clown
Yellow Tailed Damsel
Rusty Angel
Bicolor Angel
Mandarin Dragonette
Pseudochromis Fridmani
Gobiodon Okinawae
2 Gramma Loreto
Ecsenius Bicolor Blenny
Six Line Wrasse
2 Spotted Cardinalfish
Siganus Vulpinus(Foxface Lo)
Valenciennea Lofipinnis Gobby

INVERTEBRATES
6 Lysmata Amboinensis shrimp, 2 Lysmata Debelius shrimp, 1 Coral Banded shrimp, 1 Peppermint shrimp, 1 Debelius reef lobster.
10 Astrea conehead algae eater snails, 15 Turbo snails, 40 Nassarius snails, 20 Dwarf blue and 20 red leg Hermit crabs, 2 Diadema urchin, 1 sand sifting Starfish.

CORALS
SPS
7 species of Acropora
1 Montipora plate green
1 Montipora plate orange
1Montipora plate purple
1 Merulina
1 Hydnophora green
1 Heliopora
2 Seriatipora Hystrix purple
1 Seriatipora Yellow
1 Stylophora
2 Montipora Digitata
variety frags from acropora and montipora

LPS
2 Caulastrea
1 Tubastrea orange
1 Bubble Coral green(Physogyra)
1 Euphyllia Ancora green
2 Euphyllia Divisa
3 species Favia Brain
2 Galaxea
1Fox Coral
1 Cup Coral(Turbinaria)
1Open Brain
1Lobophyllia

SOFT CORALS
1 Blue Mushroom
1 Green Mushroom
1 Red Mushroom
1 Green flurescent Mushroom
1 Spotted Mushroom
2 Ricordia Mushroom
1 colony of Yellow Polyps
1 Snake Polyp
1 Star polyp
1 Tree Coral
1 Sinularia(finger leather)
1 Sarcophyton
1 Gladiella
1 Gorgonian blue
1 Orange Sponge

FEEDING AND ADDIVITES
One time the day midday feeding alternately with flake foods Prime reef, formula two, brine shrimp plus, and formula one the Ocean Nutrition, also a time a week Sera Granu Marin and krill.A time the week I use frozen krill,mysis and spinach.
One time a week I put Microvert,Chromaplex,Zooplex and Essential Elements of Kent Marine.
One time a week I put Strontium,magnesium and iodine.
Each 2 days I put Turbo Calcium and Super Buffer of Kent Marine and each 3 days I put Reef Buffer of Seachem.
Each 5 days I use Kalkwasser of Seachem.

LAST THOUGHTS
In my planning it is the placement of Calcium Reactor and two nanostreem with controller of Tunze.

Some photos...
panoramic7-1.jpg

panoramic8.jpg

spslps3.jpg

spslps2.jpg

acropora4.jpg

montiporaplate2.jpg

Thank you for your patient
Manos Foudoulakis

Nice mixed reef. I like how your fish are chillin in the acro - my chromis do that

This is one of the best (if not THE best tank in Greece)
Manos is a great guy and hobbyist, who runs with great care a rather low tech mixed reef.
As you can see the results are stunning and all the inhabitants are great, healthy and colourful

If I may say so, it should be definately TOTM in the near future

Reef Central has been a very inspiring site for all reef aquarists in Greece.You guys are doing an excellent job here!!
Manos raises the level off reefkeeping in our country and his reef tank speakes for itself !!!!

I have to say that I love your fox coral. I don't know why, but I just think that they are the neatest corals. Everything is doing marvelously, corgratulations!!

-Chris

I am impressed that your calcium/alkalinity supplementation with Kalkwasser is sufficient for this size of tank. Tank looks beautiful.

Back