marine magic dosing pump review

Ditto, that's my one gripe with this product, is the programming interface. The first time I didn't hit save on each page and had to re-program 35 steps for each pump. Super annoying.

On a side note, I noticed the ReefAngel dosing pumps use these same housings. I have a RA now, so I may try to hack these so I can use the RA to set the dosing schedule for easier programming, or I may just end up using RA's pumps since they are only about $60/ea.

The 12v backup should work but I would check first to see if it's protected against reverse current that might flow from the AC converter, maybe you'd need to add a diode or maybe I'm just tired hehe maybe someone else will chime in on your question

I am interested to see how you go about being able to schedule/program with a RK, or RKL (I'm assuming this is what you are using for a web app) Please link a thread to this one, so we can follow along :)

Or has anyone tried this battery backup? It is a 12v battery backup. Usually used on routers. Has a 5.5 mm plug. The doser is 12v. What size is the plug?

I have this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3433230&csid=_61

It works fine... the marine magic has an A/C adapter.... only problem I has was getting the adapter to fit in the small area I had (this back up has 2 plugs that are for back up power) It should run my main pump (700gph little giant) and the Marine Magic for about 30 minutes. I got it because I have power blips that last between 1 and 15 minutes... sometimes longer, but I don't have the $$ for a back up generator.

The noise. Well, two of my pumps on the triple are dead silent. However, the third which runs the most, Cal, is squeaky and can be heard. It is not horrible, but a little annoying. I'm sure there is a fix, but not sure what. You can't just squirt some oil on the rollers or it won't pump. I recommend the pump to everyone. I'm very happy.

have you tried pushing the pump head of the noisy pump on better? mine would be a lil loud but pushing the head on better seemed to fix it.

Well six months after adding this, my tank crashed. It's the only thing I changed so I feel it contributed to the crash.

My tank is now recycled. I'm planning to start dosing, but may or may not cOntinue using it.

Can anyone give pointers on a good starting point for it in regards to speed and frequency? Approx 100g total volume.

You need to adjust dosing properly to the needs of your tank. Remember that the dosing unit wears with use and the amount supplie will vary with time.

Also your Tanks needs will change when adding or removing livestock.

The auto doser helps you maintain the levels but you still need to test your parameters at least on weekly bases to understand what is happening in your tank.

You need to adjust dosing properly to the needs of your tank. Remember that the dosing unit wears with use and the amount supplie will vary with time.

Also your Tanks needs will change when adding or removing livestock.

The auto doser helps you maintain the levels but you still need to test your parameters at least on weekly bases to understand what is happening in your tank.

I understand that. What I need is help to set a start point because I don't know.

Once a day. 4 x? 16x each? Know what I mean? I'm sure speed one at once a day is not sufficient, so what would be a good place to start ?

I do 3x a day with offset times for Ca and ALK so they dont affect each other... this seems to be enough for me...

for example I'll run pump C (calcium) 3x a day first I'll run for 6seconds@speed 4 to prime the line in case it got air bubbles or something then I'll run the same pump for 12 seconds@speed 2.... this takes up 6 spots on the dosing unit for pump C...

I have one pump I run vodka and run it once a day.... for Ca and ALK I do as above with different settings since I have different concentrations if you do AB dosing it would be easier...

anywhere can i find any documents or video on how to set this up ? i plan to get this doser. where can i get this online ?

I do 3x a day with offset times for Ca and ALK so they dont affect each other... this seems to be enough for me...

for example I'll run pump C (calcium) 3x a day first I'll run for 6seconds@speed 4 to prime the line in case it got air bubbles or something then I'll run the same pump for 12 seconds@speed 2.... this takes up 6 spots on the dosing unit for pump C...

I have one pump I run vodka and run it once a day.... for Ca and ALK I do as above with different settings since I have different concentrations if you do AB dosing it would be easier...

Priming run. That's a good idea.

Thanks

I've got my Marine Magic pump for sale if anyone is interested. I never ended up using it as I took down my tank. Comes with a replacement pump head. $170 shipped. PM me if you are interested. You can save 3-4 weeks on shipping.

So.... in everynes experience.... Is it worth it? Do they hold up well? should i buy one or save up for the ferrari? wich is almost 3x more ....

What precautions or Preventions should i take with the unit? I see some have troubles with friction and maybee to pre-grease or maintain this aspect could be vital. What lubricant should be used and where?

Thanks Guys :p

I've had mine for over 1.5 years now I would say and its rock solid, never changed any of the hoses out and it still doses perfect for my 12g nano!! Which is very sensitive to changes.

i found all tubing are flatten and dosing rates are increased (almost doubled) . Can I just change the tubing ? or i need to change the pump head as well. On marine magic website, they recommend to change the pump head every 18 month....but i have no idea where to find those parts.

Back