Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bl_lb_compared.jpg

Looks like your tank is being invaded by UFOs..

Nice reflectors Marc!...

and thanks for posting pics after the split...

thanks for the reply re ALK back on the closed thread - I am stepping it up gradually - I really know that the purple tipped was not getting fuzzy for quite a while - probably still I guess just a coincidence - my pinpoint was reading 8.4 when it was 8.1 according to 2 independent new tests - I have only recalibrated in my head.

Be nice to see your tank before after, next to each other with the new install of reflectors - but I am sure there is a big difference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202344#post12202344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
They are much heavier than the first set of reflectors I'd purchased. I don't know how much exactly, but the aluminum rack was bending under the pressure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202347#post12202347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
wow! those are nice!
Hey whats that under the reflector? Perhaps a component to Evans secret project?

That's a project for someone in Abilene. ;)

Evan's secret remains untold.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202360#post12202360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbui2
seems that Evan was helping you unpack :D. you have a lot of top down boxes needed to be finished. RS did a great job with packing materials, are there any glass on the fixtures?

Yes, of course there is glass. I cleaned them on both sides.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202396#post12202396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smoothdog
Looks sweet!

How many facets do those things have!? You can see the bulb from like 30 different angles in that one shot.:thumbsup:

Three bajillion. I counted them twice. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202415#post12202415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbui2
great pics, pendants are heavier but more durable. now that's a big difference from your other reflectors. will you secure the IC ballast before you send them to the chair :D?

LOL - All the ballasts will be relocated once the reflectors are in place.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202951#post12202951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Reefer91
damn those reflectors are nifty! i need to get me some of those :D

Yes, you do. I've been holding off forever because I didn't want to spend the money, but now that I spent it twice in one week, I think you should too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12203310#post12203310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adddo
Silly question perhaps.. but arent those the same kind of reflectors as the other ones you bought?

And, im no metalworker but wont the aluminum get heated up and bend (break) after a while with the lights shooting directly at it?

Looks great tho :)

They are similar, but more awe

- wait for it -

some.

The aluminum rack is from my old lighting. That will be removed entirely. This is just temporary at best.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12203367#post12203367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
Reflectors look nice. I would be interested to see the difference in par... But I'm pretty certain the results are going to be nice;)

I'll let you know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12203662#post12203662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kar93
Reflectors are looking great!:thumbsup:

That's what I said. Twice. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12203860#post12203860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bklynmet
Looks like your tank is being invaded by UFOs..

Nice reflectors Marc!...

and thanks for posting pics after the split...

They are nice and big. And should last forever.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12204151#post12204151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnb
thanks for the reply re ALK back on the closed thread - I am stepping it up gradually - I really know that the purple tipped was not getting fuzzy for quite a while - probably still I guess just a coincidence - my pinpoint was reading 8.4 when it was 8.1 according to 2 independent new tests - I have only recalibrated in my head.

Be nice to see your tank before after, next to each other with the new install of reflectors - but I am sure there is a big difference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12202344#post12202344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
They are much heavier than the first set of reflectors I'd purchased. I don't know how much exactly, but the aluminum rack was bending under the pressure.

Sounds like you need to actually calibrate that probe, for real this time. How are the rest of the parameters now?

Here you go - not ideal but close:

A few weeks ago
fts_0310.jpg

Last night
bl_lb_all_on.jpg

Sweet new lights & tank! whats the HUGE coral you got on the far right side? cant remember the name right now..

Looks incredible, Marc. Difference in tank shots is literally night versus day. Congrats on the new reflectors and like Hop, waiting to see what the PAR values are!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12204761#post12204761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kentanner11
Hey Marc did you use the same bulbs in your old fixtures or did you use new bulbs with the new reflectors?

I'm using old bulbs with new reflectors to avoid cooking my livestock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12204885#post12204885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
who made those fixture and reflectors?

These are LuminBrites. I posted the link earlier:
http://www.reefspecialty.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_28&products_id=231

dwarf angel

dwarf angel

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12205683#post12205683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'd like to add a dwarf angel, but worry about the risk of nipping. Maybe I'll add more chromis to beef up that school again, or more anthias. Or perhaps a few Royal Grammas, as that can be interesting.

Marc - I had a Potters Angel for about 1.5 years and it never touched any corals. I don't have any SPS, but it left LPS, zoas, and the other softies alone.

From what I've read, the only downside to some of the pigmy angels is that they seem to have a short life expectancy in captivity.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12205887#post12205887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
Is that the whole fixture it came with?

Everything you saw one page back is what it came with, including some eye hooks to hang them. The bulb is not included, nor the ballast.

Re: dwarf angel

Re: dwarf angel

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12206788#post12206788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FroMan
Marc - I had a Potters Angel for about 1.5 years and it never touched any corals. I don't have any SPS, but it left LPS, zoas, and the other softies alone.

From what I've read, the only downside to some of the pigmy angels is that they seem to have a short life expectancy in captivity.

How short? Do you have more information specifically?

Marc, those are by far the best looking reflectors I've seen in the aquarium trade. The look every bit on par with some of the high end parking lot HID reflectors I've seen professionally. :thumbsup:

And the difference between those 2 photos is awesome! I'll have to check those out, wouldn't one look great hanging over my 20 gal? :lol:

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back