Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12211943#post12211943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hal
Why the glass shield? Is splatter really an issue?

It is to me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12212129#post12212129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
It is to me.

If you wouldnt point your returns to shoot out of the tank you wouldnt have that problem Marc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12212223#post12212223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bmwaaron
If you wouldnt point your returns to shoot out of the tank you wouldnt have that problem Marc

I love the surprised look on visitors' faces when I turn on the pump from the safety of my fishroom. :D

lol. His fish just love him so much the occasionally squirt some water towards the light, probably saying I need sleep! You kept the light on past my bedtime last night because wanted someone to stare at the tank all night.

I do have an issue with NO3. That's why you read about me working on various solutions.

Re: Re: dwarf angel

Re: Re: dwarf angel

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12207192#post12207192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
How short? Do you have more information specifically?

I can't find the specific reference I had bookmarked. I may have deleated it after my potters passed last year.

From what I can recall most are wild caught and don't acclimate well and can be very picky eaters. It took me about 2 weeks to get the potters my wife wanted to start accepting flake or nori.

What I was able to dig up in a few minutes.......

Michael's Marine Fishes has some comments about environment and acclimation (you probably wont have problems there).

http://www.waquarium.org/MLP/root/pdf/MarineLife/Vertebrates/PottersAngelfish.pdf
http://www.rcthawaii.com/angel/1.htm

I found a couple of threads, unfortunately they don't say a whole lot.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=674762
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1161672
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1063758

The new reflectors are hanging over the tank now, but askew. I need to do a little cord management so as to be able to point them where I want them. It isn't exactly what I want permanently, but it is close for now. Since I'm heading out to Southern California in a couple of days, I just had to do what I could for now to keep the tank lit and avoid tripping the breakers.

It seemed that the new reflectors were so heavy that within a couple of days the aluminum rack was bending to the point that the metal was touching the VHO bulbs. Plus the Icecap fans were leaning on it as well. Yesterday, the breaker would trip, killing half the power to the tank and resetting my Aqua Controller II back to Jan 1, 1996 @ 00:01:00 - very annoying to say the least. I had to get all this stuff off the tank and up in the air where it couldn't cause trouble.

I'm fighting a killer headache right now, but I'm going to proceed with the VHO install now. I'll post some pictures later.

The most recent pictures are deceptive. I was testing out some ReefLux 12,000K bulbs before the new reflectors were installed.

The suncoral tank had a blue LED that really added some saturation to those pictures of the Pom Pom Crab.

Now that all might lights are hanging over the tank, I'll be able to take some pictures to share with y'all later today.

Just finished looking at your website and reef logs Marc, good lord you're busier than ever.... how do you ever find time for anything???

Your tank is looking great from the last time I viewed your pictures!

Honestly, I skimp on sleep from time to time. There's too much that needs doing to be wasting it on shut-eye. ;)

Pictures momentarily....

I've got more space now...

I've got more space now...

The first thing I did was cover up the tank again. Then the lighting was all taken down, making room for the new hanging system.

pink_cover.jpg

Once everything was out of the way, I measured the wall where I needed cleats, and patched any holes. The cleats are made of MDF and were painted, then brackets were attached to each one. Each reflector hangs from its own bracket.

new_cleats.jpg

I was planning to use some really nice wire to create a hanger for each bracket, but the wire tightening system was the wrong size and Home Depot was closed. So I opted for something else I had handy. Each loop was secured through the eyelets, creating a triangle that is 3 3/4" tall.

lb_wire_hanger.jpg

Each glass panel was cleaned once more of any spatter, then hung on their brackets.

lb_hanging.jpg

The next problem was what to do about the actinic supplementation. As discussed earlier, the plan is likely to swap them out for T5 bulbs, but I'm working with what I have on hand before my trip. The two end caps were a little too wide to fit under the furdown wall, so I created new VHO standoffs. :)

vho_old_endcap.jpg

vho_new_endcap1.jpg

vho_new_endcap2.jpg

With the new combo bracket, I was able to wire up the two 6' bulbs to an IceCap 660 that I've had on the shelf for a long time. The same ballast can be used for the T5s later.

vhos_installed.jpg

Once that was done, I had to start relocating the ballasts. The VHO ballast can screw to the wall without any worries, as it has a huge aluminum heat sink. The IceCap 250w E-ballasts might run hot, so I made some small standoffs to put between the ballasts and the sheetrock. These are 1/2" tall pieces of 3/8" tubing.

ballast_spacers.jpg

ballast_spacers2.jpg

Ballasts on the wall

icecap_ballasts_on_wall.jpg

And the 400w still has to find a better spot, or perhaps I'll replace it with a E-ballast. This one is big, hot, and very DIY. It doesn't really fit my fishroom compared to all the other nice gear. If I got a Coralife Dimmable, I could dial in the 400w bulb as needed to get the right PAR.

400w_ballast_temp.jpg

Now I've got tons of space! I love it. :inlove:

lighting_done_open.jpg

lots_of_space3.jpg

lots_of_space2.jpg

lots_of_space1.jpg

With the canopy in place...
lighting_fishroom_closed.jpg

All the lights were tested briefly around 6 am to make sure they'll come ion later today. I'm sure my reef would love some consistent lighting after all that it has been through for the past week. Plus I want to make sure everything works for the next 48 hours before I catch my flight to Orange County.

It's a relief to have this up, and the fishroom feels much cleaner now.

Nice job indeed, especially if you had a headache going on! (I gets migraines). I love the DIY acrylic VHO mounts on the spot thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back