Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete - it works with the MH. I tried flipping them off today, and couldn't stand looking at my tank. So they are definitely filling a need.

NanoCube-boy - those are VorTech pumps. You could put one on your 12g, but the flow pattern is so strong with the MD-40w that I wouldn't recommend it. These can move up to 3000 gph. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12223747#post12223747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
NanoCube-boy - those are VorTech pumps. You could put one on your 12g, but the flow pattern is so strong with the MD-40w that I wouldn't recommend it. These can move up to 3000 gph. ;)

that would be fun to watch, for about 3 seconds:eek1:

wow marc that actinic pop looks crazy on camera. i know all too well that a camera is completely incapable of capturing the true brilliance of actinics, so I wish I could see it in person :)

Is there any camera out there designed to capture light in the actinic range?

I could set the white balance to adjust for the blue somewhat, or use Photoshop to alter it significantly. All the above pictures are as close to what I'm seeing in person to give people an idea of what it looks like with the new lighting setup.

Marc
The tank looks awesome with those new reflectors up and running! If I every get around to upgrading my tank size I'll be using the same.

Just please tell me there's some kind of stop on those hangers to keep them from sliding off and into the tank! :eek1:
Along the same vein, those wires they're hanging from look awfully wimpy. I typically spec 1/8" aircraft cable for hanging pendants. It's available in Stainless too. If your local electrical shop doesn't have some Aircraft Spruce and Specialty does.

And exactly how many buckets of food do you feed each night? :rollface:

Phil

The brackets definitely needs stops. Heck, a wedged chopstick would do the job nicely. :D

The wire is very tough; I've had it for years but I do think I need some type of stranded stainless steel cabling. What I had on hand was fine, but the clamps were for 3/16" (so I'm guessing my stranded was 1/8") and the wire could move back and forth even though it was clamped down completely. That was annoying. It just has to hold for a week. It just has to hold for a week...

I feed a small amount of mysis and cyclop eeze every night. If you happen to purchase food from Dominos Pizza, they will bring tiny side dish containers with jalapeños. I put a few pieces in that container and thaw it with tank water prior to feeding the tank. It has to feed the suncoral polyps, the dendro, the angled tank, and then my reef. Slightly more than this image.

suncoral_food.jpg

I use the free plastic condiment cups you get at like McDonalds. Grab a stack everytime I go =) Use them once and toss them!

I just got a tiny stack of itty bitty ones for this week's trip so my son knows how much to feed each night. Hopefully my reef will cooperate with my absence.

Dang, I'd have though Spock alone would gobble that little bit up in a heartbeat! Maybe I'm grossly overfeeding....??

Phil

Spock loves food, but I don't give her as much as she'd like. She gets a half a sheet of Nori twice a week, which she shares with Crown Royal and the rest of the excited fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12223980#post12223980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Slightly more than this image.

suncoral_food.jpg

LOL! "Slightly more"? I've watched you feed double to triple that easy for years Marc. I think you may be misleading them a bit.

Are you only talking about for you angled and suncoral tanks ONLY here? Because I could believe that.

Also, you can just go to your local grocery store or liquor store and buy jello shot cups. They are exactly like what Marc uses and come with sealable tops. They are very inexpensive.

Last edited:
WOW!! those new bad boys sure do light everything up real well, and the vho's look to be adding a nice touch even at the mounting height. Looking at the tank from the side do you notice a visual difference with just the actinics on because they are in the front?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12220740#post12220740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
The Toadstool is getting over 300 PAR where before it was about 165.

Is that with the same bulbs, i.e. almost double the par solely due to the reflector? If so, I know what I'm going to start saving up for.:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227398#post12227398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
sorry for the silly question but I missed it before,

what were the old reflectors again?

he had spyders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back