Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12220866#post12220866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by huge1day
I might have missed it, but what meter are you using to get your par readings? Would you have a link where to get one?

Bart

Got my sticker today.

I'm borrowing a meter from a friend currently. I started taking measurements a week ago and talk about it in my Reef Log (on my site). I'll be doing more measurements of the new lighting next week, swapping out bulbs as well.

very nice work.

"If I got a Coralife Dimmable, I could dial in the 400w bulb as needed to get the right PAR."

do you mean a coralife dimmable MH ballast? I thought dimmable mh was still just a wish???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12220967#post12220967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acropora nut
Marc ,
The tank look's awesome.:eek2: :thumbsup: Huge difference...
Mike

Thanks Mike. And thank you again for shipping them out so quickly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12221276#post12221276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
very nice work.

"If I got a Coralife Dimmable, I could dial in the 400w bulb as needed to get the right PAR."

do you mean a coralife dimmable MH ballast? I thought dimmable mh was still just a wish???

No, it's real. Coralife had the dimmable MH ballast and the price isn't too bad compared to the one that doesn't dim. I think it costs $20 or $40 extra. At MACNA Houston (2006), we saw the ACLS ballast ($1000 each) that can run any bulb, any wattage, and does all kinds of crazy dimming. It'll simulate cloudy days, thunderstorms, etc. But at a price.

One of the things I was discussing with Jim (bubbletip2) is how you can dim your ballasts down when you get new livestock, and then raise it up gradually over the next few days to allow the coral to adjust over a period of days. He likes how you can dial in each ballast to create even PAR in the tank, since not every bulb nor every ballast is alike, even if they have the same name brand and were ordered at the same time.

wow Marc thats some exciting stuff.

maybe in a few years it will be commonplace to have dimmable MH lighing.

you wouldn't happen to know a vendor selling the 400w coralife dimmables would you? for some reason I only find coralvue. also only ACLS I can find is the infinity XR6 packages from aquiumobsessed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12221385#post12221385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bleedingthought
:)

Sorry, I forgot to answer that post. I've never had a fence on top, and had a fish jump from time to time. Tucker jumped, but landed back in the display before I could grab him. And Dole jumped several times. I think about the 5th time rescued him, he got brain damage from the hard landing, and died some time last year.

You'd think all that food I put in there would keep them happy and in the water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12221395#post12221395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
wow Marc thats some exciting stuff.

maybe in a few years it will be commonplace to have dimmable MH lighing.

you wouldn't happen to know a vendor selling the 400w coralife dimmables would you? for some reason I only find coralvue. also only ACLS I can find is the infinity XR6 packages from aquiumobsessed.

Whoops. :eek: I've been thinking Coralvue all this time and typing Coralife - my mistake. ReefSpecialty has the Coralvue Dimmables.

ah ok.
only thing that stinks about the coralvues is they can only really dim between 65%-110% (least thats what ive read). I can certainly see the value for light acclimation like you mentioned above, but for me the real coolness is wanting the full smooth sunrise and sunset. guess Ill have to just wait for the prices to come down some and then i'm there!!

I need to put a cover over my 20g holding tank. I lost one of my percula clowns a few days ago :( and those two were getting along so well I'm pretty sure one even changed into a female. didn't stop the male from finding a cold deathbed on the kitchen floor tho.
maybe it was just a bad relationship.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12221457#post12221457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by huge1day
What brand and model is the meter. I am still interested in one and don't know where to start looking.

Bart

Apogee; Model QMSS - www.apogeeintruments.com - 435-792-4700 (Utah)

par_meter.jpg

sensor_underwater.jpg

I probably could. The trick is finding the perfect shipping container. Maybe one of those FedEx triangular boxes, or a long round tube.

Marc

Are those the Large or the mini reflectors?

At the height you have the reflectors, what type of coverage area do you estimate you get?

These are the large LuminBrites. They are 20 x 20 x 9. The minis are 16 x 16 x (8, I think).

The coverage is very good currently, with some spill over into my fishroom. However, because of the furdown wall shoving the lighting back 8", I'm not surprised by that. I may tilt them later to spill the light more directly into the reef, but I just had to get them up and running as quickly as possible.

I have one small colony RTNing and it probably has to do with the intermittent light my reef has endured over the past 8 days.

Here's a picture of the actinic period only. The VHOs are about 11" off the water, and as you know now, in the front of the tank.

actinics_only.jpg

I forgot to mention that the other day when Evan was here, he saw me feeding my tank. To my shock, he stated that I didn't overfeed my tank that time. And that's how much I feed every day. Anything you've heard is obviously a blatant exaggeration. ;)

man those atinics are giving me the blues:rolleyes:

actually it looks like your getting great coverage, even the upper back. looks good, so I suspect you're just going to leave them there.

Hopefully I can. I'd really prefer to use them. It is a very clean look. I'm pretty sure these are old bulbs, although I have no idea when they were replaced last. Newer ones would be brighter ones. :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back