Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice Marc!

It's interesting how a couple of the PAR values went up over time near the bottom. What do you think the reason that is?

I've been running the same combo of 250w bulb/ballast for a couple years now and love it..... well except yours are screw type, and mine double ended.....

I wish I could have been at the meeting!

Marc, as far as the corals are concerned is all PAR the same? I see that the 10,000K bulbs have a higher PAR than the 20,000K bulb even though they are much lower wattage. Is there any benefit to using a 20,000K bulb (to the corals, not to our eye) and if not wouldn't it make sense to use 250 watt ballasts all the way across and run all 10,000K bulbs? It seems like there would be at least some energy savings along with more PAR.

It does look like the 20,000K bulb PAR ratings are more even all the way down rather than the rapid drop off of the 10,000K bulbs. Is that the reasoning behind one over the other (other than the blue tint)?

Marc,
Your tanks looks beyond incredible. I think you are the perfect example of why mixed reefs are nicer than all SPS. INCREDIBLE!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14377591#post14377591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Padrino
Marc,
Your tanks looks beyond incredible. I think you are the perfect example of why mixed reefs are nicer than all SPS. INCREDIBLE!

+1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14376760#post14376760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rEd86
Great stuff Marc. I like the idea of measuring PAR around specific corals - especially the ones that are doing well. We'll have to figure out a way to log that info and build something that shows PAR ranges for corals. (and maybe flow data as well) If only you knew of someone that could do that stuff... :idea:

--Ed

That is something in the planning stages now. You know me, I'll get around to it. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14376833#post14376833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2farNorth
Very nice Marc!

It's interesting how a couple of the PAR values went up over time near the bottom. What do you think the reason that is?

I've been running the same combo of 250w bulb/ballast for a couple years now and love it..... well except yours are screw type, and mine double ended.....

The numbers going up a bit could be due to the exact position of the sensor, or perhaps nothing is blocking the light at that moment (coral growth moved out of the way)... although I saw a couple of numbers that were up that I can't explain. In those cases, I blame the vodka. :D

Keep in mind that when I recorded my numbers last time as well as this time, I took was I believed was the average number from the many that flashed across the screen. I watch the numbers for about 20 seconds, noting the highs and the lows, and try to get the closest to what seemed to be the middle number (or number that appeared the most frequently) and wrote it down. Perhaps that one entry (229; bottom left of the March 2008 chart) was just an incorrect logging.

It is nice to see that the PAR only dropped ~100 over the past 11 months, but the two Reeflux bulbs are really leaning into the pinks now, which is why I'll be replacing them soon. I'm getting tempted to install some 12,000K Reeflux bulbs that I've had for some time now, but that is a lot of blue that will probably drive me crazy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14376950#post14376950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pneumatic
I wish I could have been at the meeting!

Marc, as far as the corals are concerned is all PAR the same? I see that the 10,000K bulbs have a higher PAR than the 20,000K bulb even though they are much lower wattage. Is there any benefit to using a 20,000K bulb (to the corals, not to our eye) and if not wouldn't it make sense to use 250 watt ballasts all the way across and run all 10,000K bulbs? It seems like there would be at least some energy savings along with more PAR.

It does look like the 20,000K bulb PAR ratings are more even all the way down rather than the rapid drop off of the 10,000K bulbs. Is that the reasoning behind one over the other (other than the blue tint)?

Is PAR the same? Well, that's quite a discussion right there and it broke out during the Q&A section of my talk last night. PAR is a measurement of intensity, but these meters from Apogee are dialed in for a specific range of light - particularly sunlight. That means it is more precise around the yellows, and gets more inaccurate around the blue spectrum. When measuring electric light, it will do its best readings at 6500 to 10,000K (IIRC), but not so much at 20,000K. So would I believe every number it states under 15,000K to 20,000K bulbs like gospel? No necessarily, but it does provide us with some guidelines as to how much light is shining down. With this information, we can start sharing our results with each other and perhaps come up with some general standards for specific corals in the future.

The reason I have a 400w blue bulb in the center of two 250w white bulbs is because the blue light is weaker. If I had a 20,000K bulb that was 250w, it would be a darker shadow in the center of my reef. By using a higher wattage bulb, the goal was and is to have roughly the same amount of PAR across the entire tank. As you can see by the numbers, the 20,000K is significantly less intense, even with brand new bulbs.

We know that blue is more prone to penetrating a longer distance, based on all the video we've seen from the ocean. The brighter white / yellow (and red?) seem to drop off quickly after only 6-10 feet (guesstimate) while the blues keep things lit for a decent distance. In our tanks, we tend to use blue for aesthetics. In my own, I wanted this combination after it was explained to me, and have never regretted it. I've had this bulb color/wattage combination for over four years.

The benefit of 10,000K bulbs are growth. 20,000K bulbs make the corals look prettier, but growth is far slower because of the decrease in PAR.

I do enjoy a little energy savings in that each MH bulb only runs 6 hours a day, and those are staggered in a way that they light the tank for a total of 8.5 hours staggered. High noon (all lights on at the same time) is from 3:30pm to 7:00pm.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14377591#post14377591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Padrino
Marc,

Thanks. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14378698#post14378698 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

I'm getting tempted to install some 12,000K Reeflux bulbs that I've had for some time now, but that is a lot of blue that will probably drive me crazy.

[/B]

Melev,
I thought the same thing when I switched from 10k reefflux to 12k's, just way too much blue. After the 12k's burned in, it was a nice white color with a touch of blue. I think it would be a nice color combo with the 20k's and the actinic.

I mixed up my slides. Sorry about that. My son noticed that the image posted above was one with the flow off, which meant the distance to the water was 1" further away. So, to correct it, here are the two images that should be compared.

Here's March 2008
par_wflow_new_bulb.jpg

Here's February 2009
280g_par_numbersSM.jpg

The bulb on the right was brand spanking new, barely burned for one hour. The middle one and the one on the left were less than 30 days old. So realistically, two bulbs are 12 months old, and the right MH is 11 months old.

The water clarity could be better due to running carbon, and having less PO4 and NO3 in the water. I don't know.

Interesting Marc, I would have thought there'd be alot more PAR lost in that period of time. I recall reading an article not long ago that did PAR testing on certain bulbs to show when it really was necessary to replace the bulbs. I run Phoenix 14K bulbs and have always replaced them at the 12 month mark. According to that article, the Phoenix bulbs held their PAR for a longer period of time and it said you could go as far out as 16-18 months. I dunno though, wish I could remember where I read that article.

So overall with your current bulb combination and ballasts are you happy with the way the Reflux 10,000Ks look over your tank. It's sometimes difficult to tell with pics how the tank looks in person. Right now I'm running dual 175w Hamilton 10,000K bulbs. Yesterday I picked up my new 250W IceCap Ballasts and I have to get bulbs. I'm on the fence right now and don't know which way to go. My 175s are running on PFO magnetic ballasts. I'm bumping up to dual 250s because the 175s just aren't giving the 120 enough light.

I see your par ratings are pretty good even at the bottom of the tank granted you are using excellent reflectors and I will not be. I'll be using for the time being the good ole' spider reflectors of yesteryear at least until I can save up to buy Lumenbrights.

Open to your suggestions!

this is going to be a tough week without marc's wealth of knowledge. i fugure i should not post anything until he comes back i wouldn't want to miss your opinion or suggestions.

Safe trip!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14394405#post14394405 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ziggy953
So overall with your current bulb combination and ballasts are you happy with the way the Reflux 10,000Ks look over your tank. It's sometimes difficult to tell with pics how the tank looks in person. Right now I'm running dual 175w Hamilton 10,000K bulbs. Yesterday I picked up my new 250W IceCap Ballasts and I have to get bulbs. I'm on the fence right now and don't know which way to go. My 175s are running on PFO magnetic ballasts. I'm bumping up to dual 250s because the 175s just aren't giving the 120 enough light.

I see your par ratings are pretty good even at the bottom of the tank granted you are using excellent reflectors and I will not be. I'll be using for the time being the good ole' spider reflectors of yesteryear at least until I can save up to buy Lumenbrights.

Open to your suggestions!

If you have the IceCap e-ballasts, getting some Reeflux 10,000K bulbs will be fine. I really do like their color, but after about 6 months they tend toward looking somewhat pink. So you may want to give that some thought.

Ushio bulbs tend more toward yellow, requiring VHO actinics to balance it out. The Reeflux bulbs cost less, which is why I use them. XM is another good bulb choice.

Thanks for that chart you made.Ive always been told that 8 to 10 months was the max.I need to start using our clubs par meter more often.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14398605#post14398605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
If you have the IceCap e-ballasts, getting some Reeflux 10,000K bulbs will be fine. I really do like their color, but after about 6 months they tend toward looking somewhat pink. So you may want to give that some thought.

Ushio bulbs tend more toward yellow, requiring VHO actinics to balance it out. The Reeflux bulbs cost less, which is why I use them. XM is another good bulb choice.

I do have the IceCap e-Ballasts. Thanks for the input, I'm not sure I want to see things turn pink after 6 months, though I usually change my bulbs at the 8-10 month mark anyway. I don't know. Right now I'm using Hamiltons which I believe are very similar to XM bulbs. I may just go with them again.

Thanks again for the input.

Hey Marc
I've been lurking along lately, too busy to do much more. I did use your wooden spoon trick last week, though Texas spoons are apparently smaller than Alaskan spoons. I had to shave the handle down first. :D Still looking for a wide mouth funnel, but it was pretty slick anyway. Since I only have a 50 gal system I deviated slightly by filling the canister with clean saltwater instead of DI. A full canister of DI would lower my salinity noticably.

Enjoy the trip, I'm enjoying vicariously through your posts. :thumbsup:

Phil

You are right that some wooden spoons (and forks) are thicker than others. I just dig through the collection to find one that fits.

The wide mouth funnel should be available where they selling canning products in your supermarket.

Saltwater or RO/DI water is fine. Either works.

I hope to be home by Sunday night. I hope my reef is okay. I have never been away this long, and trust me when I say that I think I've pushed my luck about as much as is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back