Melev's Roadtrip

Following the iPhone's blue dot was what made this trip so easy to navigate. After my route was plotted, I just made sure the dot stayed on the purple line. If I veered off accidentally, it was obvious and I could quickly correct my course.

map_to_alba.jpg

The view driving to New Mexico was gorgeous. These pictures don't do it justice. The reds are vivid in the rockwork that rose on either side of the freeway.
toward_al1.jpg

toward_al2.jpg

toward_al3.jpg

toward_al4.jpg

toward_al5.jpg

toward_al6.jpg

Even the colorful traincars added to the picturesque scenery.
toward_al7.jpg

toward_al8.jpg

It looks like I'm about to drive off the end of the earth, doesn't it?
toward_al9.jpg

toward_al10.jpg

toward_al11.jpg

toward_al12.jpg

The rockwork structure is so interesting to study. Why that layer is so straight in the midsection, for example.
toward_al13.jpg

I resisted temptation twice.
toward_al14.jpg

toward_al15.jpg

This is the view from xXReefXx's front door.
toward_al16.jpg

Quyen lives in a gated community that my iPhone couldn't find. Google Maps doesn't know of its existence yet.
quyen1.jpg

quyen2.jpg

quyen3.jpg

He brought this Elegance coral back from Vietnam in his suitcase. He asked me to guess what it cost him, but I hadn't a clue. When he told me $2, I burst out laughing. What a bargain, right?!
quyen4.jpg

quyen5.jpg

The color of the tank was odd, but the corals seemed happy. It didn't take long to determine that the reason the water was so green was because his father overfeeds the Formula Two flake food. By looking at the tank from either end, you could see the deep green tinge.
quyen6.jpg

Great pics Marc. Barbara's install is very interesting. I like the RO/DI solution and find it interesting that the tank itself is right in front of a window. SHe has some really nice colonies in her system.

BTW, th eleg squeezers are really good for you, but they also have socks to help keep th eblood from pooling in your legs. As was already stated, the more you move around, walk, etc. the better your recovery will be and the earlier they will let you out. Also, taking very deep breaths will actually increase your O2 levels and help you heal faster.

I did 2 sets of 5 deep breaths every hour and brought my O2 level up 4 points during my 4-night stay.

The converted wet/dry sump had two small skimmers running in it.
quyen7.jpg

The frags were encrusted and polyped out.
quyen8.jpg

Frag tank.
quyen9.jpg

quyen10.jpg

A future frag system is plumbed into the main frag tank.
quyen11.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14488344#post14488344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
Great pics Marc. Barbara's install is very interesting. I like the RO/DI solution and find it interesting that the tank itself is right in front of a window. SHe has some really nice colonies in her system.

BTW, th eleg squeezers are really good for you, but they also have socks to help keep th eblood from pooling in your legs. As was already stated, the more you move around, walk, etc. the better your recovery will be and the earlier they will let you out. Also, taking very deep breaths will actually increase your O2 levels and help you heal faster.

I did 2 sets of 5 deep breaths every hour and brought my O2 level up 4 points during my 4-night stay.

Thanks for the information. I'm gonna take a break for a bit. :)

lunch.jpg

As Jonathan mentioned, deep breathing is a good thing too. If they gave you an I.S., use it. Want to earn brownie points? Walk and I.S. at the same time!

Tell someone to empty your linen bin. Don't make me come up there!

Their food looks much better than ours though. Enjoy!

Quyen told me about South West Reef Company... so I grabbed my iPhone and it plotted the course at 13 minutes away. Leaving me 20 minutes to peruse the store before they closed at 4pm.
swr1.jpg

swr2.jpg

swr3.jpg

swr4.jpg

swr5.jpg

Future cubbies, probably for invertebrates.
swr6.jpg

It was surprising to see so many tanks set up with HOB overflows instead of drilled tanks.
swr7.jpg

swr8.jpg

A black tubastrea
swr9.jpg

I like how each coral is priced.
swr10.jpg

Nice update!

I swear though, you kill me. iPhone, laptop and camera at the hospital. Now that is dedication!!!

I don't know how they got this Arrow Crab to stand next to his price tag, but as you can see...
swr11.jpg

Spock's future boyfriend. hehe
swr12.jpg

swr13.jpg

This is the new line of Caribsea sand.
swr14.jpg

swr15.jpg

Using a common carbinger's (sp?) clip, the door can be held open when working in the tank beneath.
swr16.jpg

swr17.jpg

Bubble Tip Anemone
swr18.jpg

Before I left, I bought a new bottle of Seachem's Prime. Annually, I get a fresh bottle just in case, as it can lock up ammonia, chlorine, nitrate... and in an emergency, it is best to have some on hand. A capful treats 50g, so this size bottle is more than enough in a pinch.
swr19.jpg

This was an awesome idea for a thread, and I hope you do another in the future, or someone takes up the idea on their next trip.

Sorry about your hospital stay, I'm glad everything is back to normal again though!

I am this close | | to dumping my Storm and getting and iPhone. I should have in the first place...but free work phone, vs. must pay for yourself iPhone....hmmm yeah your road trip has pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I love seeing other reefer tanks. It like meeting them. Thanks for letting us go along for the ride. I'll take those cookies if you don't want them. mmmmm

Here are the last of those pictures from the LFS. This tank is being lit with LEDs only.
swr_led1.jpg

swr_led2.jpg

The guy that assembled them was in the store, but they only told me after he was gone. I would have liked to have met him.
swr_led3.jpg

Then it was time to leave. Goodbye mountains.
leaving_albuquerque.jpg

final_leg.jpg

sunset.jpg

sunset2.jpg

sunset3.jpg

The drive home was relatively uneventful. It was night-time, and I did get to burn a few hours talking with Evan or Jessica. I arrived at home at 5am, after driving a total of 2,454 miles.

My nurses and doctor have been amused with my iPhone and laptop activity. What they figured I was doing was research on my condition, but since they are the trained medical professionals, why would I do that? I showed them some posts from this thread, as well as the pictures of the delicious food I've gotten to eat today...

The surgeon just came by and informed me that everything went perfectly yesterday, and that I'll be leaving by 5pm today. I could leave sooner if I was being driven home, but my car is here and they want all narcotics out of my system before I make the 5 mins drive to my door.

All the numbers are excellent, no trace of a fever, blood pressure is perfect, and other than my general soreness, I'm in great shape. It'll be nice to be home and enjoy my tank. I'll let my son lug around top off water for the next week though. ;)

Oh, one last screen shot from the iPhone GasBag app:
gasbag.jpg

It shows you the prices of gas nearby, and the best deal is in green. :D

leaving_albuquerque.jpg

Hey it's our mountains. :) Our mountains are3 called the Sandia mountains, it's a Spanish word meaning Watermelon. So the literal translation is Watermelon Mountain. Because it's red and green. :D

Looks like you went by pyramid rock in an earlier photo, very pretty isn't it. I love the red earth there.
It's interesting to see the area through someone elses eyes.
Glad your on the mend.

Welcome home Marc. Really enjoyed tagging along on the trip. Especially seeing all the other tanks and fish stores. Wow! I wish I had a LFS like the ones you stopped at.

Hope you're back to 100% quickly, I know how long it took me to recover from very minor sinus surgery.

Phil

Great road trip pics! Sounds like your GB surgery went very smooth. I had my GB out a few years ago. It was no biggie for me just another bump in the road. Glad to hear you are coming home and doing so good!!! Keep it up! :)

Back