Melev's Roadtrip

Gall darn it!

Sorry to hear you are in the hospital. I'm certain that all will be fine and you will be back to "casting your reef" soon!

Thanks for all the great photos! Something tells me that you have dozens maybe even hundreds of more pictures waiting in the wings.

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14484940#post14484940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm out of surgery and recovering now. :)

Woo hoo! That's great! I hope it is a quick recovery.

Glad to hear you are doing better Marc.

BTW those mountains in Flagstaff are the San Francisco Peaks. An old now extinct volcano that blew it's top. Ski area on the backside.

This is great news, when do you think that you will be getting out? You have been away from your tanks a long time now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14484940#post14484940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm out of surgery and recovering now. :)

Good to hear! Hoping for a speedy recovery. Did you get the morphine button? I love the morphine button, it makes the stay seem so much shorter!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14486459#post14486459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
Good to hear! Hoping for a speedy recovery. Did you get the morphine button? I love the morphine button, it makes the stay seem so much shorter!

:lol: yep, and the dilaudid button is even better. about 5x as good from what i hear. that's the one they gave me after having the open cholycystectomy.

also, hop, who knew you were a prophet?
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14345102#post14345102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
I see your going close to tinidad... No surgeries planned I hope:lol:

heal up quickly marc, you've got to get back and make sure that garage door is getting closed at night ;)

Ahhhh...the morphine buton. I was on a 5 minute plan. :eek: I can't believe you posted Marc. We got so many warnings about not having valuables that my wife wouldn't let me have the laptop with me! :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14486961#post14486961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
Ahhhh...the morphine buton. I was on a 5 minute plan. :eek: I can't believe you posted Marc. We got so many warnings about not having valuables that my wife wouldn't let me have the laptop with me! :(

Marc's devoted...or nuts I'm not sure.

Hope you're healing up. :D

Thank you all for the well wishes. I really appreciate them and it is very encouraging. So here are a few pictures, because you know 'if there aren't pictures, it never happened.' :lol:

inbed.jpg

Flowers from my parents
flowers.jpg

This is 3G, my son's gift to me when he visited me.
3g.jpg

And look - real food at last! I got this for breakfast this morning, and hadn't had any solid food, nor liquid food, since Monday night.
food.jpg

I'm sore of course, and have four cuts on my belly where they went in laproscopically (sp?). The gall bladder was removed, and from what I've been told so far, there were no issues. I requested not to receive blood, and hope that was honored. You just never know what might be in it.

I feel almost human again. After breakfast, I took a shower and did three laps around the hallways, which they said was important. They keep giving me shots (daily) in my belly to avoid blood clots. The IV has been disconnected since last night, and the leg squeezers are off as well now. :)

Glad you are feeling better!

For that particular surgery, you should not have needed or received any blood products. It would be unethical to give you any when you were under if you said no in the beginning.

If you need blood in the future, you can always ask friends/family to make a donation for you(assuming they match).

Stay out of the bed as much as you can, walk as much as possible, pay attention to the dietary recommendations, and get back home!

Thanks Robb, that sounds like reasonable advice. I think I'll let my son do the heavy lifting for the next couple of weeks.

So back to the road trip, right? From Mark's place, we went to Barbara's house. She's not an RC member, but looking at her tank you'd think she was. She's got a gift for growing corals very quickly, and her livestock was healthy and happy.

barbara1.jpg

barbara2.jpg

barbara3.jpg

barbara4.jpg

barbara5.jpg

barbara6.jpg

barbara7.jpg

The Maroon clownfish hosts in the GSP.
barbara8.jpg

barbara9.jpg

Their RO/DI was installed in-wall in the guest room, taking up very little space. It will eventually get a nice cover.
barbara10.jpg

A small frag tank was in the back room of the home, whichwas full of aquarium-related gear.
barbara11.jpg

Calcium reactor, kalk reactor, external pump, and more...
barbara12.jpg

I saw another dirty skimmer. Next time I'm going to make each person I visit clean their skimmer before I leave. :lol:
barbara13.jpg

Aluminum angle iron holds the MH fixture to the canopy top.
barbara14.jpg

A decorative cocktail table...
barbara15.jpg

...with an ulterior motive. What a neat idea to hide the RO/DI reservoir for top off.
barbara16.jpg

Marc, I'm very glad to hear you are recovering and all went well! Only you would have your picture taken while in a hospital bed just to post it on RC. Well I guess nobody can say NPNP to you!

Seriously though I'm glad you are doing well.

From Barbara's, we drove to Don's (amburatur) home to see his tank. Don "the human compass" navigated me through the various streets to his door. He and his wife were very kind people, and were excited to talk about their tank. The firs thing you notice is how quiet it is. It is silent.
don1.jpg

don2.jpg

don3.jpg

don4.jpg

don5.jpg

Good surface agitation.
don6.jpg

Electrical section is accessed from the end of the stand, which also was designed so the sump could slide in.
don7.jpg

The bucket in the back is for top off.
don8.jpg

They dose two-part solution via these two 1-gallon slimline jugs from USplastics.com
don9.jpg

The Tunze skimmer was working well, and Don said it worked better than his previous (much larger) skimmer.
don10.jpg

After visiting for a bit, Don's wife packed me a very nice snack pack for my drive to Albuquerque. I hoped to make it there that night, but I opted to stay at the Red Roof Inn to get some rest. I didn't want to take any chances driving sleepy when I still have almost 2 hours to go.

Wow - I was mentioned in one of Melev's threads!

Now I can check that item off of my bucket list. :)

Marc - it was great to have you in our home. We were very happy to get to meet you in person.

Back