Mo's 6ftx8ftx3ft SPS Reef Tank

Hi,

It's a custom built one, just like Chingchai's!. It's from the same manufacturer.
The only trouble is, I couldn't get to grips with setting it up and it came with a 10 degree offset. on the temp, so it drops or raises the temp by 10 deg C at a time!.

I need to have the settings changed, but Thailand is a long way!.

I have an air conditioner in the room, which controls the tank temp at 25 deg C. It's been doing the lot since last July, without any issues, so I didn't push with the chiller, but I need to get it running as the back up!!.

It has a titanium heat exchanger. It's very powerful!.

Maybe Chingchai could translate for me, so I could get the settings programmed??....

Mo

Thanks for this info, i have noted this before when using similar units on swiming pools, i too use airconditioning but it is proving quite expensive however and i am thinking about going a similar chiller route however for peace of mind it would have to be very accurate temp control with failsafes as a 10 degree offset would be devastating to a reef.

Thanks Guys,

My aircon unit is an inverter model, which apparently is far more cost effective than a standard ac or a chiller. The compressor comes on just enough to keep the room temp at 25. At that temp, it's not a lot of work for the ac even though it competes with my lighting.

I have a big unit though!.

Mo

WOW! Love it! Saying "great job on this" is a HUGE understatement. Oh. I have to run and attend to my 46 gallon tank now.

Amazing ceramics work.
Did you cure those before use? and did they leach any phosphates or nitrates. I'm going with 50% ceramics on my new tank and can't cure the big pieces due to space constraint, do you think I can get away with some non cured ceramics or will it have a big effect?

LOL your neighbors must hate you for walling of most of one side of their back yard :p. Hope you give them free passes to visit the aquarium.
That is an amazing build thread. Did you actually go to Germany for the ceramic build pics? So right now you can access the fuse box, what happens if you gain weight and cant shimmy down the sides?
-I am curious as to why you tinted the sides of the tank since no one can see it since it is covered by the ceramic plates. Just seems like an unneeded expense, albeit minor compared to everything else.
-Was getting the ceramic custom built cheaper or more expensive than using liverock? This is the first I have heard of using it.(note that i am aware LR doesnt come in neat wall blocking plates)

Truly lost for words other than.......FREAKIN' OUTSTANDING!!!!! Best wishes with her!

That rockwork is crazy cool. Beautiful tank!

:beer:

WOW! Love it! Saying "great job on this" is a HUGE understatement. Oh. I have to run and attend to my 46 gallon tank now.

Thanks mate!.

Thanks David.

Wow
Great job Mo
I am sure Ching chai and Steve Weast will be proud of this amazing tank

I wish they would be, but still a long way to go... They obviously were big inspirations and deserve awards from the reefkeeping community for what they have done to help us all. :hb2:

Amazing ceramics work.
Did you cure those before use? and did they leach any phosphates or nitrates. I'm going with 50% ceramics on my new tank and can't cure the big pieces due to space constraint, do you think I can get away with some non cured ceramics or will it have a big effect?

Thanks Maroun,

I ran an adsorber called Silicarbon, which came with the ceramics.
I also did an RO fill and ran the pumps full to thoroughly rinse the rocks for about a week, before the salt fill.

The rocks certainly leach silicates, but running a decent phos remover should deal with it.

I think you need to be a little more patient setting them up than with Live rock though. Don't just cycle and throw a load of SPS in, unless you have lots of live rock, which you can remove later as the ceramics go live....

Mo

LOL your neighbors must hate you for walling of most of one side of their back yard :p. Hope you give them free passes to visit the aquarium.
That is an amazing build thread. Did you actually go to Germany for the ceramic build pics? So right now you can access the fuse box, what happens if you gain weight and cant shimmy down the sides?
-I am curious as to why you tinted the sides of the tank since no one can see it since it is covered by the ceramic plates. Just seems like an unneeded expense, albeit minor compared to everything else.
-Was getting the ceramic custom built cheaper or more expensive than using liverock? This is the first I have heard of using it.(note that i am aware LR doesnt come in neat wall blocking plates)

There has always been a wall there. In fact it was a driveway and garage before., so no additional length of wall has been added. Luckily, my neighbours on both sides are great!.

The ceramics are glued to the glass and also would be visible through the glass. The light getting through would also generate lots of algae on the glass, so the tint stops you seeing all the glue etc behind the rocks and also prevents significant algae growth behind the rocks. It keeps everything clean looking.

The ceramics were slightly cheaper than liverock.

:thumbsup:

Mo

Back