My 10G nano Project Underay - Lots of Pictures!!!!!!

ashkeenon

Well my time has finally came after much deliberation and different planning. I have decided to go with a 10G nano with a built in sump behind a false wall and a custom stand and hood. Anyway heres the tank its a 18"l x 12"w x 12"d

marine_log_1.jpg

I want to do something along the lines of this 5.5 AGA setup

Plan_1.jpg

I am having a spot of trouble figuring out how to do it in my setup and have drawn up the layout if some one could give me some help on making it work that would be great

Plan_2.jpg

Thats all for now

Ash

I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank as well but i'm running a modified AC500 filter/refugium. What kind of skimmer are you planning on using?

I have some little up dates nothing much but thought i would share them.

I have cut off the glass canopy supports and took off the black trim along the top. It actually came off really easy. I have ordered some gloss black 5mm acrylic for the false wall and will get the glass baffles when i figure out the sump.

Picture after the glass supports and trim was taken off

marine_log_2.jpg

heres a picture of my little dog Fabio in the tank

marine_log_3.jpg

and some wood for the custom stand. I plan on building the stand this week once i have drawn up the plans and cutting list sizes etc.

marine_log_4.jpg

Will keep you posted when i do some more work

Ash

Hi wav3form

I plan on using the Tunze DOC 9002 nano skimmer. Reason for choice is for its compact size and performance according to the website but would like some opinions from anyone who has experienced or no about it heres a picture of it

Plan_3.jpg

Ash

Yeah they seem to be not to badly priced as well about £80 here in the UK but that will have to wait untill next month££££££

good size as well only 2.5" deep ideal for behind the false wall or nano tanks but would like to find out about performance and stuff.

Ash

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7582935#post7582935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ashkeenon
Yeah they seem to be not to badly priced as well about £80 here in the UK but that will have to wait untill next month££££££

good size as well only 2.5" deep ideal for behind the false wall or nano tanks but would like to find out about performance and stuff.

Ash

I'm not sure too many people have this skimmer so feedback might be few. What kind of fish/coral do you plan on keeping. Cute dog by the way, is it some kind of daschund?

Yeah hes a minature wire hair dachshund i plan on keeping a clown and a Mandarin Goby maybe one more but not sure about the bio load would be happy with those 2. Not sure on the corals but would like to be able to keep a range of different corals probably meaning i would need a MH lighting system and tank circulation but welcome to some suggestions for corals as im new to the hobby and dont know much about them.

Ash

Hey wav3form

What's the dimensions of your 10G tank and what you plan on doing with yours it good to have some ideas.

Hi

I have just drawn up the custom stand i will be making sometime this week, however a bit stuck on the canopy design any suggestions.

NANO_Stand-Layout1.jpg

what sort of paint is relevent for sealing the inside of the stand as i might be keeping an auto top off in there some day.

Ash

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7582980#post7582980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ashkeenon
Hey wav3form

What's the dimensions of your 10G tank and what you plan on doing with yours it good to have some ideas.

It's a standard AllGlass brand 10 gallon. 20x10x12

Right now I just have some black "ultra reef" brand sand (10 pounds) and I painted the back glass with satin black krylon fusion. My AC 110 filter is ready to go and i'm just waiting on my 70 watt bulb from fostersmith so I can get some rock and start cycling the tank. I don't think you absolutely need a MH light setup but I figure I may as well start with one since I'm sure i'd upgrade to it eventually. I'm doing the DIY MH setup with the regent fixture.

I'm just going to keep some zoos, a clown or two and the standard shrimp/hermit crab/snail cleaning crew. It's my first reef so i'm keeping it simple for now. I don't have any ideas for a stand yet, I may just get a piece of furniture like a wood filing cabinet or something and use that.

Do you have any idea about the layout of the built in sump behind the false wall as im not sure what ive drawn up will work.

mandarin goby wouldnt be a good choice unless it eats food you give him, usually they only eat live pods

Yeah, you need a big tank for a mandarin, even if you had one that ate prepared foods a 10 gallon is still small. I would say atleast a 70 gallon to keep one. Of maybe a smaller tank if you had a big fuge.

Hi nodbugger

the trim wasnt supporting the walls as it was just on the front and back sides in two seperate parts, they wasnt siliconed on either and just slipped off more of a decoration i think.

Ash

I have been looking at some ice cap MH ballasts but im not sure what Watt to go with for a 10G either a
70w
150w
175w

Any suggestions on what size to go with as i want to be able to keep sps corals etc later on so be as wel as getting the lighting right first time around.

Ash

Hey ashkeenon, I love that tank stand. I think you should just invert the same plan to make the hood. Basically just go from the glass, the canopy will hug it just like the base and then cap it off with nice crown molding. Design the top to open completely, and be hinged in the back. Your lighting would attach to the inside bottom of the lid. I dont have photoshop or a CAD program so I cant drop a diagram. Hopefully you can visualize the idea.

-Odd

Back