Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Odd the Cole Parker site lists 24 tubing to be
11627e5958d0fe08cf9787110be74f0b.jpg

17ml/min per that doc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for that info and yes minimum should be 17ml/min. Cannot get it below 30

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Doc says 17 at 6 rpm. Lowest he can go is 10 RPM. Could be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hit the nail on the head.

His pump is a 10-600 RPM motor, not a 6-600 RPM. That head flows at 2.8 ml per revolution with LS24 tubing. At 10 RPM minimum on his pump, that is 28 ml/min minimum with LS24 tubing on that pump.

LS-15 tubing is 1.5 ml per revolution which would get him down to a minimum of 15 ml/min. Seems a change of tubing is in order if the target flow is below 28 ml/min.

What is the PSI, bubble count and effluent pH of your reactor? The flow rate may be just fine.

Tank Alk and is it raising or falling?

Hello all. Been lurking for a long time - thanks for all the contributions along the way to this thread. I'm getting going on my CaRX after a year or so gathering dust beneath my work space.

Reactor: MTC Procal
Masterflex: 7550-30 | 40mL/min
CO2: aquariumplants.com bubble counter | 12psi at 4 seconds/bubble
pH monitored by APEX in line via the feed to the effluent chamber

I wanted to monitor how the pH varies in the reactor prior to starting to make sure my setup is in order.

I've set the bubble counter to cycle at a pH of 7.3. With that setting, pH swings from 7.31 down to 7.13.

This pH swing seems rather large. Should I be making adjustments to tighten this range? I'm considering starting at 6.9 but I do have zeomag loaded also. Just want to make sure I don't make mush before I get things going in earnest.

Thx in advance for the assist!!

Attachments

• phCRx-thefuz-02jan2018.jpg
    phCRx-thefuz-02jan2018.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey neighbor, same CaRx running reborn at 6.6 - no mush. I adjust the bubble rate to maintain 6.6 without triggering the solenoid. More stable that way.

You hit the nail on the head.

His pump is a 10-600 RPM motor, not a 6-600 RPM. That head flows at 2.8 ml per revolution with LS24 tubing. At 10 RPM minimum on his pump, that is 28 ml/min minimum with LS24 tubing on that pump.

LS-15 tubing is 1.5 ml per revolution which would get him down to a minimum of 15 ml/min. Seems a change of tubing is in order if the target flow is below 28 ml/min.
Thank you for the breakdown and They have emailed me back and yes with ls24 it's 2.833 ml/min so that is why it cannot go below 30.

What is the PSI, bubble count and effluent pH of your reactor? The flow rate may be just fine.

Tank Alk and is it raising or falling?
Ph in reactor was 6.45 at 30ml/min effluent and tank was at 9.1 dkh.
I raised the reactor ph to 6.7 and my tank is sitting at 8.3 just where I want it.

Hey neighbor, same CaRx running reborn at 6.6 - no mush. I adjust the bubble rate to maintain 6.6 without triggering the solenoid. More stable that way.

+1
The Apex should only be reporting the steady pH not controlling it. Adjust the bubble rate or PSI to get to a stable number

Expecting too much or is this normal? Trying to figure out why my ph is going up even though it's not even hitting 6.5 ph. I thought it was the ph prob so I replaced it 2 days ago. Only thing I can think of is my cheap needle on my reg that's causing it to fluctuate. This morning's report. Running geo 818, m/f 7551-00 with head 77201-60 size 17 tube.

Apex setting off < 6.4 - 6.9 > on

Any help would be appreciated.
3c926a9f2af907715c6949079d336dc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Depends on the amount of co2 you are releasing into reactor it's fluctuating but looks normal to me. Think your solenoid isn't going on and off and is constant on position. Looks dialed in correctly.

Expecting too much or is this normal? Trying to figure out why my ph is going up even though it's not even hitting 6.5 ph. I thought it was the ph prob so I replaced it 2 days ago. Only thing I can think of is my cheap needle on my reg that's causing it to fluctuate. This morning's report. Running geo 818, m/f 7551-00 with head 77201-60 size 17 tube.

Personally as long as it seems stable in the long term I wouldn't worry about it, but it certainly is *possible* for the pH to be more stable. Considering your masterflex is probably doing its job I'd have to assume the only aspect which isn't perfectly consistent is the co2 regulator, which is probably the culprit.

But if your alkalinity is staying stable I'm not sure it really matters how perfect your regulator is at dosing co2, as long as it is good enough, and your weekly
pH graph looks pretty darn stable to me.

But for comparison this is my masterflex + carbondoser electronic regulator:

VEYW9wN.png

The jump in the middle is when I adjusted the setting, but otherwise if I leave everything alone the pH in the reactor is normally rock solid, only going up and down a minor bit with the natural rise/fall of the tank's pH throughout the day.

Here is mine after a slight adjustment sure to alk intake

3953ed080b4f09ab44ceec51a9a5d176.jpg

Is your controller is shutting the Co2 solenoid off and on? If so, you might be pushing too much Co2 into the reactor. You want just enough Co2 to keep the reactor pH right in the sweet spot so the controller doesn’t have to shut the Co2 off.

Those charts look better then mine. Lol. I would like to dial it down since my alk is dropping at a steady pace. I have a dual stage reg and if I need to get the carbon dose box as a add on I will. From the Jan 1,2,3 day readings has been 8.3, 7.7, 6.8. I have been manually add soda ash to keep it up. The last time I added sode ash was on the 3rd but forgot to test yesterday. Todays reading on alk is 7.3. I'll have to monitor the drop.

Is your controller is shutting the Co2 solenoid off and on? If so, you might be pushing too much Co2 into the reactor. You want just enough Co2 to keep the reactor pH right in the sweet spot so the controller doesn't have to shut the Co2 off.
It's only turning off once it hits 6.4. The numbers will go 6.6 and then shoot up to 6.9 then start to come back down.

Fluctuation of a few 1/100 seems pretty good to me. Since you are "œzoomed" in on your numbers, looks like a lot of fluctuation, but zoom out a little and it probably looks like a straight line.

It's only turning off once it hits 6.4. The numbers will go 6.6 and then shoot up to 6.9 then start to come back down.

Use the compare tab in the CaRx pH grap and overlay the temp on the pH graph. Temp has a direct impact on pH so if your temp is going up and down by even 1 degree, your pH will follow.

If your flow rate is consistent (which it should be with a masterflex) then your Co2 rate is fluctuating (low Co2 pressure in the tank could cause that) or the rise and fall coincides with temp or something else. Could even be something electrical in the tank that is turning on and off. Probe wires should never be run parallel to power wires for example.

Back