OMG it is sooo HOT today

Well, 116 here yesterday. My garage tank has been sans chiller since May. It's been averaging 84 degrees or so during the 100+ degree days streak we've been having, and regularly hits 86.

Yesterday it hit 88.5! So, my fish don't seem particularly bothered (2 black ocellaris, an orange ocellaris, sailfin tang, banggai cardinal, golden angel and mcculloch's dottyback (Cypho purpurescens)), and so far, my corals haven't melted either (frogspawn, various ricordea, weed xenia, a couple remaining colonies of zoanthids and a large, much-abused purple-tipped acro.

So, reef soup soon, or will it all survive?

Kevin

the entire state of CA is sold out of fans!!!!!!!! Went to Kmart, Costco, Target, Rite Aid, Homedepot.... No fans... all I saw were really small fans and huge $200 fans, everything else was sold out

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796604#post7796604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NicoleC
It's not good to clip/shave long haired dogs. Their coat insulates them from the heat as well as the cold. I didn't believe it as first, but it makes sense since they don't sweat.

Before I knew this, I buzzed angus down one year and he was SO miserable that year.

[/i]

Dogs do indeed sweat. Check your dogs paws (the webbing on the bottom of the foot) they'll be some what moist/wet when out in the sun. My dog leaves some barely visible footprints on the ground.

Then again some dogs are like my Dad, they never SWEAT!!!

Breathing hard with their tongue out is the only other way for them to cool down.

Some vets reccomend to cut the dogs hair but not shave. Shaving will completley mess with the dogs skin, increasing the chances of skin cancer when out in the sun.

What kind of dog nicole? My dog is lucky I convinced my Dad to let him in the house :D

Man its hot....Its so hot the damn pool is closed because everyone decided to take the day off how lame.

all reefers in so cal should have a battery powered air pump (or a really good girlfriend with an air hose) and a few frozen bags of rodi water just in case. remember when we had those so-called "rolling black-outs" a couple ago? we went 6hrs w/o power. i learned the hard way.
Anemone.
do you sill have the octopus i sold you last year?? not sure if you remember, but you drove along way to pick it up from me.

The lightning storm was small-but neat to watch this morning. It is a chilly 93 degrees in Fullerton right now and humid as hell. Yesterday I had to turn the AC set at 80 degrees off because I was getting the chills from going outside and coming back in because it was so hot. Anyone catch the show on Global Warming, by the way what is the half life of carbon dioxide anyways? Sure makes me wonder how the unusual weather is correlated with high CO2...But at least my new chiller I plumbed onto my 100 gallon is working-thou my eyes where seeing double when I opened my electric bill!?$!?$ And I set up a new Nano tank this weekend for my seahorse and the thing was all the way up to 86 degrees with the lights on and 83 with them off! Those Nano cubes should come with a warning label on them. I hope all of out livestock makes it though this awful heat wave. We had one black out yesterday but it only lasted a mater of seconds like the flicking on and off of a light-maybe some one hit a transformer? Who knows but I better dust off the generator just in case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7795333#post7795333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fmellish
We have ceiling fans in every room, and for some reason they have no impact on this type of heat. We have all the fans on and all the windows open, and normally that cools the house down, but it just feels like a sauna in here. THe rain made the air thick and sticky.

I don't even want to lay my back against anything. I just want to sleep standing up in the backyard.

Josh

OKSOOOOOOI want to know how sleeping sanding up in the yard was. Now, I have one for you. A client moved into there new home yesterday. MOM and Grandkids slept on a couch, outside, so hot, she woke up about 2AM with a STRAINGERS hand on her forehead!!!!!, sHE YELLED AT HIM AND SAID "I DON'T KNOW YOU, GET OUT OF HERE"It was people that live in the apartments behind them. Figure they where trying to see what freebees they could get, with most everything in the back yard. They are getting new carpet Tuesday:eek1: Scarrrrrry Where at 101F but only 23% humidity

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7798579#post7798579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralcat
Where at 101F but only 23% humidity

Be sure to tell people around in the neighborhood to water their grass at night. Or will be living in the rainforest soon with 75% humidity.

Dogs do indeed sweat. Check your dogs paws (the webbing on the bottom of the foot) they'll be some what moist/wet when out in the sun.

No webbing, he's a Belgian Groenendael. Better suited to a show-covered field than So Cal.

And yes, some dogs do sweat on their feet. Nobody is shaving their dogs' feet, though!

For working dogs out in this hot weather, some are lucky enough to have one of these:
http://www.helpingudders.com/CoolingVests.htm

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG. Had to add water, lots of water to the pond, so low, neither of the pumps were working!!!!!! 103 now, STOP DAMMIT

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7798407#post7798407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by july865

Anemone.
do you sill have the octopus i sold you last year?? not sure if you remember, but you drove along way to pick it up from me.

No I don't. It did well for about 3-4 months, then died. Don't know if it was something I did, or the fact that they are very short-lived, and may have been well into adulthood before you or I got him. Spent a lot of money on hermit crabs for a while there though.

Kevin

CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE, 104F IN THE SHADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Nicole all dogs have webbing between their toes as do humans on their hands.

Wow, I should get one for me instead!:D

Sam

Thanks for this thread. Apparently I only *thought* I was hot :D

I'm feeling much better about the extra $$$ I spent to have a condo on the ocean. Twelve inch thick exterior walls. It's only 82 degrees inside with no a/c.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7799210#post7799210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefpeep2004
Thanks for this thread. Apparently I only *thought* I was hot :D

I'm feeling much better about the extra $$$ I spent to have a condo on the ocean. Twelve inch thick exterior walls. It's only 82 degrees inside with no a/c.

I lived in Marina Del Rey for 25 years before I bought this house in Cerritos a little over a year ago. I sure do miss living a few steps from the ocean. I never had to worry about a/c then and never had a/c till I bought this place. There was no way I was going to pay 1 mill for a small run downed shack there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7796971#post7796971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NicoleC
Tons of thunder and lighting and a tiny bit of rain here. Several times the power flickered, but the power is staying on so far.

Wierd weather. And I have to drive to San Clemente today.
Wierd weather indeed. We went to the beach this morning and stayed for only a half hour. Lighting and thunder plus a sudden downpour quickly got us out of the water, off of the beach and back home in a hurry.

Only upper 80s here near the beach but still darn humid. Feels like I'm back in Texas!

it got crazy hot 109 in burbank and 101 here at my place in LA... thats just NASTY....

Anemone.
sorry to hear that. i am going to get a small shipment of TBS soon. if i get one, i'll give it to you.

Back