Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

He just came back from the doctor's and his weight is up and his BP is up and he will be eating rabbit food and fasting for several weeks to get things back under control.

The whole "treating yourself" thing is a trap and quickly leads back to bad health. Don't do it. Make your mind up now that you are going to live clean, if not for yourself then for your family's and friends' sakes - and your tank's. It's the salt that restaurants pour into everything that really kills, long before the fats do.

Been there. Ate that.

Dave.M

Joe,
Wow......... I dont know what to say that hasn't already been said on here by other reefers. My heart is heavy for your loss and I couldn't even imagine what you are going through. Im fairly new on here and read the whole tread to see the build but Kelly's story brought tears to my eyes. May God bless you and your family during this difficult time. I know you may never be the same but it will get better. Kelly may not be here physically but she is still here in spirit and you should feel here every time you sit down to admire that tank. I can just picture her sitting on the live rock just like she was sitting on the bare bottom at the start of the build.

Now I have some questions on the tank because Ive only had fish only tanks in the past and Im getting ready to set up a 300 gallon FOWLR. What type of base rock did you use and where did you get it? It looks like you started out with just a few pieces of live rock but as the year went by the base rock turned into live rock as well. Im wondering why you went with the live sand when most reviews I see on here say its a waste of money because eventually all sand turns live after time? Will I need special lighting for the live rock if I don't have any corals? I have many other questions but i will ask them in the question newby area.

Last let me say that your tank is one of the most beautiful home aquariums Ive ever seen. Im not sure if its the solar lights or what but the water looks crystal clear. Your choice in fish accent the reef with a perfect spectrum of colors.

Joe,
I just stumbled upon the journey of you and your wife's tank. The tank is beautiful but your beautiful wife took center stage of this thread and it was so heartwarming. I was heartbroken to hear of her illness and then her passing. I couldn't help but shed a tear. I can honestly say that it was heartwarming to see her spirit never diminish and how brave she was, and also your standing by her and taking care of her every need. You are a great man. The fact that you kept the tank going when you were so busy shows the steadfastness and bravery that both of you showed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for letting us into your life a little bit. You and your wife have been a blessing to all who have seen your tank's progress. God Bless.

-Will

Rest my Love, for you are no longer in pain, never again will you need another hospital visit, pain medication or chemotherapy. You are now a healthy beautiful angel.

I will carry the bond of our love for the rest of my days. Thank you for being my friend, girlfriend, best friend, fiancé and wife. I will think of you often and talk to you daily, for I know you will be near. I love you, I adore you, and cherish you, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

We started dating on 10.22.1988
We were engaged on 10.22.1992
We were married on 10.22.1994
We renewed our wedding vows on 10.22.2011

Rest in Piece My Love- Kelly Marie Palermo "“ December 5th 1968 "“ 10:22 pm June 2nd 2013

I'm so sorry for your loss. I read from page 1. This made me cry and made me realize how lucky I am to have my significant other. Thank you for making this build thread.

Thank you everyone!

Joe,

Now I have some questions on the tank because Ive only had fish only tanks in the past and Im getting ready to set up a 300 gallon FOWLR. What type of base rock did you use and where did you get it? It looks like you started out with just a few pieces of live rock but as the year went by the base rock turned into live rock as well. Im wondering why you went with the live sand when most reviews I see on here say its a waste of money because eventually all sand turns live after time? Will I need special lighting for the live rock if I don't have any corals? I have many other questions but i will ask them in the question newby area.

LCDR - the rock is from Marco Rock in Miami, ended up costing about $1 a pound with shipping. I went with live sand because I got a great deal on it. On the lighting I think you should be fine with some T5 lighting, I'm not an expert on that.

I can't get over how natural everything looks in perfect harmony. More than any other tank, this looks so much more like the reefs I've snorkeled and surfed over in the Pacific.

I can't wait to see pictures of this tank in 2 years. Great job.

Amazing tank, just read through 26 pages of posts and am blown away by everything. So sorry for your loss I can imagine the strength it takes to overcome losing your partner. Moorish idol has been on my list fr a while. Glad to see him doing well

Back