Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

Hi,
Can someone please help me identify this, I have a couple of the on the same rock. It looks like the are very shy, anything that move around them they quickly retract to their hole.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368378610.399539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368378789.198364.jpg

Quick question, will hermit crabs start eating my macro (coraline) algae? I used to have so much of it in my tank, now it seems to be slowly disappearing. Where the algae used to be i now see what appears to be little claw or scratch marks. My hermits have been great so far just eating microalgae and leftover fish food. If it isnt my hermits, what else likes to graze on coraline algae?

Quick question, will hermit crabs start eating my macro (coraline) algae? I used to have so much of it in my tank, now it seems to be slowly disappearing. Where the algae used to be i now see what appears to be little claw or scratch marks. My hermits have been great so far just eating microalgae and leftover fish food. If it isnt my hermits, what else likes to graze on coraline algae?

Hermits not that I have ever heard. Ya got asterina stars? Tiny little off-white stars that multiply by splitting?

Yes, i have asternia stars. They have never been a bother. Plus theres distinct claw marks on the rock where the algae was. Im thinking since my microalgae is subsiding and i cut down my feeding, maybe the starfish and or hermits are munching on my coraline? I havent seen any other crabs in my tank, so i feel like the hermits have to be the culprits.

After sushi answered I looked it up and she is right, some do eat it. I guess particularly the red leg and electric blue legs. So it is probably both because that is what the asterinas will eat as well.

I just have regular hermits, blue leg I guess. I also get claw marks from time to time. Asterinas leave white/empty spots with no marks.

Thanks for the info guys, i do have the electric blue hermits and one large red guy. The large red hermit is great and was cleaning all my microalgae. I think since food is less abundant now theyre moving on to whats available. Should i throw them in my sump for awhile? Or is this not a serious issue?

Alright will do sushigirl. I thought i was overfeeding before but ill just keep it up. Also whats the best way to get rid of vermatid sbails and hydroids? They seem to be hard to pull out with my forceps.

You can use super glue gel to seal the end of the vermetid's tube. Hydroids are much tougher to get rid of. If you can remove the rock they are one, you can use a lighter or blow torch and torch the area they are on. (do it outside and steer clear of the fumes)

You can use super glue gel to seal the end of the vermetid's tube. Hydroids are much tougher to get rid of. If you can remove the rock they are one, you can use a lighter or blow torch and torch the area they are on. (do it outside and steer clear of the fumes)

Lol i like the idea of using a blowtorch, hehehe.
flamethrower.gif

Is there any specified amount of curing time for the superglue? How long should i wait before returning the rock to my tank?

Back