Power outages

juniorrocketdad

Hello
As many of you the north eastern United States is getting pounded by blizzard like conditions right now and it's likely we will loose power, unfortunately my new generator won't be ready until next week so that's convenient, anyway for my reef tank I have 6 marine batteries and an inverter, and a battery backup to run my 34 gallon and a 55 gallon, what other precautions should I take to prepare for the storm

Key is to buy the generator well ahead of storm season; and periodically run it so it actually works when you need it. Should last years unlike, apparently snow shovels. I can never quite figure out why hardwares stores sell so many ahead of snow storms. What happened to the ones that got bought before the prior storm. I know I keep mine from year to year.

Full House Generator powered by natural gas. But if not, battery operated air pumps and blankets in winter.

I had several folks after Hurricane Andrew tell me they had very few losses and were without power a couple weeks. They credited it to the tank being full of live rock, and battery powered air pumps. And I suppose lots of D batteries. Another thing to consider
is those sterno heat thingies for keeping food warm, but if using a blanket that could be risky, be very careful. If you put a couple under the tank in cabinet it should be fine.
Also for short term, heat packs are an option as well. Tape them to outside of tank, under the blanket. Or you could do like Paul B said, fill your tank with Firefish, Fire Clowns, Fire Coral, etc..... LOL

Generator. No need to go the full-house generator route, if all you need to power is the tank pumps and refrigerator. I use a Kipor 2000 watt inverter generator, and a manual transfer switch for the circuits I care about. This sort of generator is a lot more efficient - 5 gallons of gas will keep it going for nearly a week.

Back