Proenca 10g Office Soft Coral Paradise

proenca

Nano Reefer
Well, here it is ! My build diary :)

So I asked here in my office if everyone was ok with me installing a nano tank and .... big thumbs up !

specs so far ( 23rd March ) :

/// TANK
Blau Aquaristik 10g / 37l , rounded corner tank

/// FILTRATION & WATER MOVEMENT
Tunze 9001 Skimmer - bought from Germany, on transit. will install when arrives
Eheim Liberty 200 HOB - chambers are empty and will be used as a chaeto fuge
Tunze Stream 6020 for circulation
Eheim 50w heater

/// LIGHT
1 x 18w PL for the Eheim / Chaeto fuge (already here)
1 x Aquabeam Mini LED 500 HD Reef for main tank ordered, should arrive in next few days

/// ROCK & SAND
13 lbs ( 6,5 kgs ) of ultra premium Pukani live rock
4 lbs of ( 2kgs ) of fine sand (tried live sand but was backordered badly )

so thats the hardware part, I'm waiting for the rock and sand, and after that, its a go :)

ideas for the tank :

- gsp for the back of the tank
- zoa, mushroom and ricordea heaven
- some lps - brain, acans, etc
- single fish - gramma loretto or a clown
- couple of lysmata shrimps
- cuc crew of astrea snails + blue leg hermits

upgrades ( yes, because every reefer dreams on upgrades, so its only natural that I start doing so eheheh ) :

- auto top off to keep salinity consistent
- sump for bigger fuge
- time - want to try a couple of croceas as well, but need a good 6 monhts to 1 year mature tank for that

So .. thats it :) Tomorrow will start posting pictures and showing progress !

About my choices : LED was a priority - last time I've kept reefs, I had 4 x 400w MH over my last main tank. LED was a distant dream. Now, want to keep a good light system with low temperature impact - afterall, nano tanks the swings ( pH, temperature, salinity ) are far more dealier than in a larger tank. bought a skimmer because I'm an old guy and running a tank without a skimmer is just alien to me :) however, I will try - the idea is to start with a skimmer and progressively make a transition to a sump with fuge and remove the skimmer. for now the skimmer will help with filtration and also by removing the top layer of the oily stuff. Fish are to be kept at minimum so maintenance is ... a tiny bit easier. Soft corals and Shrimps are to be abundant.

Worries : algae control. always had big tanks and therefore always had lots of tangs to keep algae in check. planarias and other pests also worry me - had also six line wrasses and mandarin fishes to keep those at bay but in a 10g, the tank wont provide enough food ( pods ) for those. So those are a nono. salinity swing : I do not have a RO here in the office, so I've made a deal with the LFS that they will bring 1.5g ( or about 5lts ) for already made saltwater with a good salt, about 3 times per month.

So pictures !

First lesson that nano reef tank is teaching me : space is VERY limited. In my head, everything fits. Now, I have my doubts. Between HOB ( which takes quite a bit of space ) , heater and pump, the back part is crowded. And I'm still waiting for the skimmer. We will see.

Live rock arrangements, empty tank :

tumblr_o4kih3Oaom1szoqjso1_500.jpg

Top view is something like this :

tumblr_o4kionc0vd1szoqjso1_540.jpg

Filled with RO water made with Tropical Marine Salt ( TMC ) and I'm quite happy with the flow of water. HOB is now with sponges, will leave them for a couple of days ( over the easter period ) to collect floating debris - after that will turn it into cheat refuge

tumblr_o4kionc0vd1szoqjso2_540.jpg

And.... here it is ! Everything completed, cycle is now underway ( or so I hope :) )

tumblr_o4kionc0vd1szoqjso3_540.jpg

It does make me bit nervous leaving the tank at the office and not be able to check it. Who knows ? Maybe I will install a webcam ehehehe.

But so far, I'm quite happy how the water pretty much cleared straight away - sand was already washed and rock was cured.

LED lights did not arrive yet ( perhaps tuesday ) but so far, it is cycling and will not need them

About me : I've keep every freshwater ( well, a lot ) fish since I'm 10 or 11... Then moved to marine tanks, then reefs, coral propagation, clownfish breeding.... then planted tanks and discus breeding. after a pause, I'm back in reefing - nano's. Its amazing how after all this time ( 9-10 years since my last reef - a 300g ) so many things have changed - and the nano/pico reef is a whole universe in itself. so excited to be back and to explore everything again ! nano aren't really just smaller tanks - whole new considerations to think about !

Great start.......I will be following , I'm also thinking of a softie coral setup for my tank...Digging the pukani rock...Good luck

Great start.......I will be following , I'm also thinking of a softie coral setup for my tank...Digging the pukani rock...Good luck

cheers mate :)

Nano is quite different from the larger tanks I had - its just a different set of challenges. Space is premium :D

I'm very happy with the Pukani rocks - they are very very light for their size - meaning that they are very porous and therefore ( or so I hope ) have very good filtration capacities.

Now, the longest month of every aquarium keeper starts - waiting for the cycle to be done with it :)

Sooooooooooooooooo here we go ! Tank updates !

- removed the Eheim filter HOB
- removed light for the "would be fuge"
- instaled Aquaray 500 LED fixture
- instaled Tunze 9001 skimmer
- instaled Tunze Nano ATO water replenishement system.

so now waiting for a few frags.

FTS :

tumblr_o5479lNI811szoqjso1_1280.jpg

and.... CORALS TIME !!!

Bought a few and few friends shared a few frags.

Bought a few fantastic Zoo's - small frags but full of colors :

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso1_1280.jpg

these are quite vivid yellow ( iphone picture, doesnt do justice )

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso6_1280.jpg

eletric blue with orange center

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso7_1280.jpg

krypto green

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso8_1280.jpg

and of course, an Acan. where is a nano without an acan :)

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso5_1280.jpg

this was a gift. i said no 30 times but my friend said it would be fine, a beautifull montipora. start opening those gorgeous pink polyps 30m after it was introduced. gorgeous.

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso4_1280.jpg

lovely discosomas

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso3_1280.jpg

eletric green favites, really cool ( also a gift )

tumblr_o5a6z3pUnQ1szoqjso2_1280.jpg

can't wait to see the corals settling and starting to grow. idea is always to buy small frags and let things grow. i'm trying to resist the temptation to buy medium sized corals :)

I'm digging the tank!!! Cannot wait to see how it grows out! !!!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hi there,

So quite a few changes and updates so far :

- ditched the HOB : was a lovely idea but either I will have a skimmer OR a HOB turned into a HOB - not both, its unfeasable on a 10g nano ( space wise )

- have to get epoxy - montipora and blastomussa took a fall during last weekend and montipora slept inside a bit ricordia the whole weekend and the blasto touched the sarcophyton perhaps the weekened as well. reason ? the CUC, they knock stuff over if not properly attached

- quite a few friends sold and offer me a few frags, so things are much nicer now : about 7 colonies of zooanthus, 3 types of ricordeas, red actinodiscus, a lovely montipora and a great candy cane coral. all doing lovely

- CUC went in and doing a great job at tackling the small patch of algae here and there : 2 x astreas, 2 x ceriths and 2 x fighting conch : the later are formidable to watch, they move A LOT and eat A LOT but men... they do knock everything over lol

- did my usual 30% water change ( 3-4 gallons lol ), and move some corals placement. still trying to figure the best place to be but so far, they look fine.

proof ? video .)

And a couple more updates :)

added : couple of Lysmata Ambonensis
rearranged : coral placement. zooanthus colonies moved to the left, ricordeas to the right

everything else is peachy :)

Back