Progress: my 1/2 anniversary of SPS addiction

Yeah I am so lucky, there are lot of great reefers and LFS here in Bay Area.
If you are looking for collection of SPS, why not looking for some frag packs for sale here or in other website, right now seems LPS is in bull and SPS is in bear market, I saw some abosutly nice packs from SPS collector at very good price. You may pay a big lump sum but it should come out much cheaper than buying individually.

Few more shots:

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6794.JPG

So you ditched the Radium Galaxy combo and went bact to T-5?

I have to agree I should have stay longer with the setup, the reason might just due to my ignorance, after I switched to Radium/Galaxy/LumenMax elite setup, about 1/3 of my sticks turn brown or do not have same coloration as good as before. I was thinking my sticks were used to broader spectrum they got under T5, but in fact later on when I read more about lighing and I realized above combo put a tons of light, even these are 250W Radium. So the real reason for brown out could be too much light than before, esp. for areas direclty under reflectors.

I was certainly not patient enough, I only stayed about 2 month with the setup and switch back to T5.

Ryan,

Are you using 1 or 2 MP-40w? Also, how far above your tank is your light?

Two MP40W on right & left side, anti-sync mode open at about 75%. I have say one is enough for current state of my tank without too many colonies.

Right now my reefbrite LED & T5's are about 4" above the water.

looking good chief, the clam is relle nice from the previous pictures,Did you take the last three pictures?Very nice

looking good chief, the clam is relle nice from the previous pictures,Did you take the last three pictures?Very nice

Thank you man, how is your tank doing? You have some amazing coloration on your sticks when I saw your previous tank thread, I hope my sticks look same good as yours some day.

Yes I snapped these pictures, with borrowed macro lens from my friend.

Since then marco lens is on my buying list, as well as PAR meter (lesson learned from my failed switch to radium). Man this hobby is a ridiculous hole on the wallet!

hah yeah your telling me the hobby is a never ending search for personal success. i fought off the urge to go back to t-5 and with the reeflux 12k i dont have as vibrant colors as a radium would give but my purple on the tri color is alot more darker and les pastel looking it contrast nicely with the greenish tint on the coral. I can seem to master coloring with my camera so i cant show some colors that are relle there. I need to get back so of the corals : / i think it was the corals themselves and time that made the corals look decent. hows the sps doing any grow alot or change color that you can get with a camera? I like sps hah not many sps to buy over here so not much comes and goes over here,

Glad you like your lighting, I believe reeflux 12K are good bulbs many ppl use them with good result. In my upgrade, I am goona try 10K DE MH with heavy blue supplemental from blue+ T5s & LEDs. I have seen some of the best color were produced by 10K, I have to give it a try. I just hope the 10K MHs are not too strong for T5 & LED to mix some blue in. Worst case I can run for 1st year and change to 14K later, I will probably not do 20K since Radium is not available in DE.

I agree with you on Camera, but Macro Len is an exception, it is almost like magic, it shows the details that can not be captured by naked eyes (I guess human eyes can not focus on that distance) in that sense, I consider it a must.

Last edited:
Beautiful tank, Ryan! I am in the process to migrate mine from mixed reef to SPS and is trying to setup my tank suitable for SPS, like getting a new skimmer and new T5. How long is your T5 photo period? Do you dose vodka, GFO and GAC?

Thanks!

8 Hours, I have 1 reefbrite LED on for long viewing hours, about 12 hours a day, ramp up with another reefbrite LED, and then followed by 4X T5s for mid-day full lighting. So the full light consist of 2 RB and 4 T5 for 8 hours. Someone measured the PAR the RB put about 60% - 70% more PAR than a ATI T5 on individual reflector. I don't have PAR meter but I observed faster growing of my Acros since I introduced the RBs.

I use to dose vodka but has stopped because of cayno issue, I have GAC 7/24 in a bag in sump, no GFO. I daily dose few drops of MB7, that help my skimmer on exporting nutrient. With this method, the NO3 is normally at 5 and PO4 at 0.03. I feed the tank on heavy side.

Many saying my level is better than ULN, I will sit tight and keep things as is and see what kind of coloration corals get in long run.

Ryan, thanks for the quick reply and enough info for me to chew on. I wish I had room in my canopy for additional led. My canopy is fully packed with 5 T5. Very surprise to know RB has so much PAR. I had a crash in April and I am still working hard on lowering my nutrient and waiting for a new swc skimmer delivered. A lot of improvement since the crash though but not good enough to stock more SPS.
Thanks for the info again. Wish I could achieve 1/5 of your success.:wavehand:

wow, what a transformation for the ora bellina.. I could see green developed on the polyps and the hairy extension.. haha I want one know too!!

This is just a personal preference thing, but I think if you scraped the back glass clean, it would give your tank the appearance of more depth. It would also help your coral stand out. But thats just me.... :0)

wow, what a transformation for the ora bellina.. I could see green developed on the polyps and the hairy extension.. haha I want one know too!!

Thank you and yeah it is a nice piece.

This is just a personal preference thing, but I think if you scraped the back glass clean, it would give your tank the appearance of more depth. It would also help your coral stand out. But thats just me.... :0)

I absolutely 100% agree, the problem is short of time has to prioritize on make the tank running stable & other regular maintenance. Plus the tank is kind of shallow from back to front, I have some corals laying between back glass & rocks, end up some encrusting on glass.

IMG_6764.JPG

What is this coral called? I think it looks absolutely amazing!

Thanks, it is ATL sand dollar monti.

Back