Red Bugs at the Diver's Den

Rickyrooz1

Acropora Nut
I was scrolling through Live Aquaria's Diver's Den tonight as I do most nights and noticed a few Red Bugs on the DFS Ultra Fox Loripes Acropora listed in the Aquacultured Corals Section. I thought the idea behind buying from the Diver's Den was not only to purchase WYSIWYG corals and fish but also quarantined and pest free corals?

Yikes, Id hope that is just some kind of debris or something.
Ive bought many across from Divers Den and never had ANY pest issues whatsoever.

I also always dip them, or any coral I buy in Coral Rx before adding them to my display.

Ive been able to avoid any acro pests this way. Including AEFW.

Well, hopefully no matter where you are buying your coral you are still dipping and quarantining the coral as often as possible. You would think they would look at their images before posting them though. :)

It's unrealistic to expect retailers to have the same ability to qt that hobbyists do, that's why it's our responsibility to qt. I've never seen it mentioned on their site that divers den corals are guaranteed pest free, do you have a link?

It's unrealistic to expect retailers to have the same ability to qt that hobbyists do, that's why it's our responsibility to qt. I've never seen it mentioned on their site that divers den corals are guaranteed pest free, do you have a link?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=377

"SPS Quarantine System
The blue raceways are used to house and quarantine new SPS corals so that they can be dipped and monitored to ensure that they are parasite and disease free before we introduce them into our main systems. These raceways are run on their own independent filtration system and have their own protein skimmers, chiller, calcium reactor and sump filled with filter socks and live rock rubble."

Isn't divers den just a retail outlet for Quality Marine?

This is true that they do guarantee healthy disease free corals.

Several months ago I was shipped several corals during a bad winter storm, they got too cold and two of my SPS that arrived had completely necrosed, one dead fish, and a nepthea that was pretty much nothing but mushy tissue.
They refunded everything no questions asked.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are all garbage. When I call to inquire about a piece I get someone out in the coral house to answer a few questions. I usually ask how long they have had the coral in their possession, and its current condition, lighting, flow, etc...
I bought a 400$ Red Hyacinthus Aussie table from them 6 months ago. Still looking wonderful and growing very nicely.
They had the table in for 3 weeks BEFORE listing it.

Sorry, but it's very realistic. I'm fairly certain that any Live Aquaria facility has many more resources (including those to facilitate proper quarantine) than any hobbyist on this forum. People order from LA, and pay a premium price for livestock. It is very reasonable for hobbyists to expect disease and pest free animals when they arrive at our door. If not, what is the benefit of paying 3-4 times as much as it would cost from a fellow hobbyist?

Sorry, but it's very realistic. I'm fairly certain that any Live Aquaria facility has many more resources (including those to facilitate proper quarantine) than any hobbyist on this forum. People order from LA, and pay a premium price for livestock. It is very reasonable for hobbyists to expect disease and pest free animals when they arrive at our door. If not, what is the benefit of paying 3-4 times as much as it would cost from a fellow hobbyist?

You need to compare apple to apple, LA can be compared to a LFS not to a reefer who as only a tank and thats all.

Those place have eay much overhead than you think and asking LFS or wholesaler to QT everything pest free is unrealistic, they would need 3-4 times the tank system and run 2-4 batch behind to hold them for 1 month

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=377

"SPS Quarantine System
The blue raceways are used to house and quarantine new SPS corals so that they can be dipped and monitored to ensure that they are parasite and disease free before we introduce them into our main systems. These raceways are run on their own independent filtration system and have their own protein skimmers, chiller, calcium reactor and sump filled with filter socks and live rock rubble."

I stand corrected, if it says it on their site then they'd better stick by it. Any of their other frags showing them? Who knows how infected they are it could be huge...

Those place have eay much overhead than you think and asking LFS or wholesaler to QT everything pest free is unrealistic, they would need 3-4 times the tank system and run 2-4 batch behind to hold them for 1 month

Yup, space is money and expecting a store to lose a lot (a whole lot) of money with 30 days of dead retail space over something the end user should be doing is beyond unrealistic. LA should've known better than to make that claim, now they're stuck eating it.

Back