Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

I'd be very happy if my DC-1 was producing like Jonny's but after 6 weeks, still pulsing like an old steam engine. You can see it below the needle wheel and in the bubble column height at the cup. Sometimes, I can get the pulsing to subside for a while but it returns. Anything over level three. As I've posted before, it appears like a cavitation or as if the pump wants to pull more than the structure will allow, sucks more air than it can handle and ...burps? Cutting back air at the muffler can smooth it out, but skimming performance goes out the window. 6 weeks on and best I can get is tea. Hope parts arrive soon...this is hard on the reef and inmates.

Jeremy email this today:

The only response that I have received is that they believe that they can solve the issue with the venturi and silencer. Still waiting on test results and estimated time of arrival.

---

Honestly sounds like it'd be easier to return it all for a refund and buy a new one...

I'd be very happy if my DC-1 was producing like Jonny's but after 6 weeks, still pulsing like an old steam engine. You can see it below the needle wheel and in the bubble column height at the cup. Sometimes, I can get the pulsing to subside for a while but it returns. Anything over level three. As I've posted before, it appears like a cavitation or as if the pump wants to pull more than the structure will allow, sucks more air than it can handle and ...burps? Cutting back air at the muffler can smooth it out, but skimming performance goes out the window. 6 weeks on and best I can get is tea. Hope parts arrive soon...this is hard on the reef and inmates.

Marc, is your skimmer sitting flat on the sump? Have you tried raising it somewhat, but ensuring there is enough space between the body and the floor?

Marc, is your skimmer sitting flat on the sump? Have you tried raising it somewhat, but ensuring there is enough space between the body and the floor?

It sits on egg crate fixed to a PVC stand. And, I've held it above the stand with no change to this condition. There is nothing inhibiting water flow into the venturi.

The original theory about break in for this condition was all wrong. I understand the issue related to "seasoning" the plastics and the implications to the bubble column being able to adhere waste particles, though I wonder if German made skimmers suffer even that problem. My US made skimmer was fully up to production in less than a week.

With this skimmer malfunctioning, I'm having to lean on carbon dosing and water changes to mitigate organics.

It sits on egg crate fixed to a PVC stand. And, I've held it above the stand with no change to this condition. There is nothing inhibiting water flow into the venturi.

The original theory about break in for this condition was all wrong. I understand the issue related to "seasoning" the plastics and the implications to the bubble column being able to adhere waste particles, though I wonder if German made skimmers suffer even that problem. My US made skimmer was fully up to production in less than a week.

With this skimmer malfunctioning, I'm having to lean on carbon dosing and water changes to mitigate organics.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you get it resolved soon.

It should not take any time at all for a skimmer to be up to par. HERE is a thread on my AquaMaxx EM300, and after only a couple of hours, it dumped what you see in the pics below.

water level is measured where on the gate valve, middle, bottom or top ?

I have 10-1/2" of water in sump, so would I build a 4" stand? Put's the water in the middle of the gate valve?

need advice.... I have a 170 heavily stocked, with 60 gal sump...mixed reef...which one should I buy...

POV DC 2
OR
POV DC 3

I'm not that happy with it so far. It lost head pressure for no reason last night, then came back on, and when it did It overflowed. It doesn't seem to be consistant

If I bring the micro bubbles upto the bottom of the 6" cone, it overflows, or fills the whole cone up over night

If I bring it down to the neck, and start the micro bubbles their, it runs for hours after putting it on feed mode no getting past the neck where it started

I also built the stand to high, the bottom of the gate valve is out of the water, and it's noisey, between that and the muffler

Dc2 it's performed well for everyone and performs above its spec in some regards . It's a great skimmer. The 3 is an unknown, could be the best. Uses the same pump but I'm not sure if the POV assembly is the same. It could be the best we just don't have many owner's sharing their experiences.

Dc2 it's performed well for everyone and performs above its spec in some regards . It's a great skimmer. The 3 is an unknown, could be the best. Uses the same pump but I'm not sure if the POV assembly is the same. It could be the best we just don't have many owner's sharing their experiences.

Thanks Kris, I leaning towards the dc2. After all same pump, and the neck on the dc3 might be a little to large for my 170.

That's where ur decision is tight tho, I personally don vn't believe in "overskimming" I think the more organics, dyes and bs you can export do it. The whole foam head will collapse is negated by the DC uhigh water pressure column should presumably manifest burp-watery skimmate). Not one problem; skimmate level slowly rising every night or hospital visit never an overflow skimmer is just dead on. ~ 9-10". to each his own. Just feel bad for the DC1 issues.

That's where ur decision is tight tho, I personally don vn't believe in "overskimming" I think the more organics, dyes and bs you can export do it. The whole foam head will collapse is negated by the DC uhigh water pressure column should presumably manifest burp-watery skimmate). Not one problem; skimmate level slowly rising every night or hospital visit never an overflow skimmer is just dead on. ~ 9-10". to each his own. Just feel bad for the DC1 issues.

Hey kris,

I also don't think you can overskim....your tank.

I contacted Reef Specialty, and also Coral Vue and asked them which one I should get for my tank, and they both said POV DC 2.

So in my case I think the DC 2 will work out better for me. Both use the same pump, but the DC3 is just slightly larger. The neck on the DC3 is a little larger, and thats were there might be a problem. Trying to keep a head in the wide neck when the docs get a little low.... On the DC2 I can also buy the neck extension, to add 3 inches....

Jeremy told me the "factory" thinks they know what the problem is, but needs my original pump/volute/impeller to replicate the issue. Not sure how that will help them since the replacement parts, that were pretested and worked fine, caused the same issue once installed in my skimmer body.

Asked him what they thought the issue was, waiting to hear back.

I think it's time to go above " Jeremy " . My thoughts are, If I'm going to buy a " NEW"
skimmer for $550.00 and it doesn't perform , give me a refund, or replace the whole dam thing

Mine still, is all over the place. One minute's it's over flowing, next min it's not building enough head pressure to the 6" body

I have to set my alarm clock every night at 3am, to check it, cause I don't want it overflowing

Today for the first time, I'm getting a small amount of skimmed water filling it slowly

I was dumping it twice a day for the past 10 days

I think it's time to go above " Jeremy " . My thoughts are, If I'm going to buy a " NEW"
skimmer for $550.00 and it doesn't perform , give me a refund, or replace the whole dam thing

Mine still, is all over the place. One minute's it's over flowing, next min it's not building enough head pressure to the 6" body

I have to set my alarm clock every night at 3am, to check it, cause I don't want it overflowing

Today for the first time, I'm getting a small amount of skimmed water filling it slowly

I was dumping it twice a day for the past 10 days

Where did you buy it ?

Did you ask for a exchange....refund....

What was their reply ???

Let us know......

I haven't contacted them yet, because I know their going to say it's " Breakin in "

I bought it used here on the fourms, it was 2 weeks old

I was sitting in my home office over the weekend, doing something on the computer, when it lost it's head pressure

It was like it went into feed mode, but not all the way. Then it came back on full force, and was over skimming to the point it over flowed

If I hadn't seen it for myself, I would be puzzled as to why it keeps over flowing. It's done it 3 times, not many, but enough I have to watch it all the time

They only been in production a few months, so I'm sure they would warranty it, but then what do I do for a skimmer while were shipping parts back and forth if needed

I'm going to see what happens here in the next few days

Back