Rimless tank adhesive

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838177#post14838177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
Man, I have to say that the DIY forum is more helpful and I like the idea that no one broke out into a debate over particular brands. A lot of good advice. Thanks for everyone’s help.
glad we could help.......i have been on rc like 6 months now and looked one time at another forum i live in here lol.......

I go to some other forums every once in a while. Usually only because a build thread is linked from it to here. Otherwise, I am a member of the nano forums and that's it.

Loctite Stik-N-Seal is waterproof, clear, and reef safe. Its tensile strength is 900 pounds per square inch.

Standard silicone's tensile strength is 366 psi (GE silicone). I haven't found the materials spec sheets for the adhesive silicones yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14843846#post14843846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eznet2u
999a comes out to a little over a dollar an oz., Stik-n-Seal...$5 an oz. :eek2:

If you wanted to get cheap, GE silicone is under 50 cents per ounce and is stronger than the 999a. It's three bucks and change at HD and Lowes.

But the reality is that Stik-N-Seal is three times as strong and the extra cost in terms of the overall build is extremely minor. You will forget the extra cost way sooner than you will forget the lower strength of the silicone. And it's $2.97 at Lowes (nearly a dollar more at HD).

I made a thread on build a Frame less thank not too long ago, can be found here, http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1599948
lots of good tips and info, i am still in the process of getting the tools needed, bar clamps and corner clamps along with other miscellaneous.

As you can see in the Giga was using GE RTV100 Series silicon and it turned out good, which Chimpers also recommend.

I went to a Glass & Aluminum Manufacture for price quot and got these based on 42 x 42 x 18 tank.

Sides 18"x42 " 3/8 thickness:
3/8 Standard glass "tempered" "Polished" $50 each
3/8 Starphire 150 "tempered" "Polished" $120 each

Sides 18"x42 " 1/2 thickness:
1/2 Standard glass "tempered" "Polished" $82 each
1/2 Starphire 150 "tempered" "Polished" $150 each

Base 42"x42" 3/8 thickness:
Standard glass 42"x42" 3/8 "tempered" "Polished" $125 each
Starphire 42"x42" 3/8 "tempered" "Polished" $170

Base 42"x42" 1/2 thickness:
Standard glass 42"x42" 1/2 "tempered" "Polished" $270 each
Starphire 42"x42" 1/2 "tempered" "Polished" $350

I am planning on going starphire, there are a couple corners i could cut to save on over all cost, firstly use standard glass for the base, 3/8", with a tank at 18" tall based on the GARF's build your own custom tank tool:http://garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp i could probably still use 1/4" glass thickness which would be alot cheaper, anything over 18" would have to be 3/8".

I am still doing a massive research on this, i am waiting for my new camera to arrive so i can start taking some pictures of other custom tank build by Elos at a local reef shop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14844479#post14844479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHOMPERS MFK
If you wanted to get cheap, GE silicone is under 50 cents per ounce and is stronger than the 999a. It's three bucks and change at HD and Lowes.

But the reality is that Stik-N-Seal is three times as strong and the extra cost in terms of the overall build is extremely minor. You will forget the extra cost way sooner than you will forget the lower strength of the silicone. And it's $2.97 at Lowes (nearly a dollar more at HD).

Was this the silicon you were referring:
dscn0247pe4.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845419#post14845419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ski11z
As you can see in the Giga was using GE RTV100 Series silicon and it turned out good, which Chimpers also recommend.
I like the idea of more tensile strength with Stik-N-Seal. can someone give a reason why this wouldn't work?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845453#post14845453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
I like the idea of more tensile strength with Stik-N-Seal. can someone give a reason why this wouldn't work?

As you can see 3 people are rooting for GE, Giga, Chompers and myself, so if you think Stik-N-Seal is still the best choice well good luck to you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14846050#post14846050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ski11z
As you can see 3 people are rooting for GE, Giga, Chompers and myself, so if you think Stik-N-Seal is still the best choice well good luck to you.
that's vague, Why do you root for it? give me specifics.

it's tried and true.......search the archives on here and see how many threads there are about it....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845419#post14845419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ski11z
I made a thread on build a Frame less thank not too long ago, can be found here, http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1599948
lots of good tips and info, i am still in the process of getting the tools needed, bar clamps and corner clamps along with other miscellaneous.

I went to a Glass & Aluminum Manufacture for price quot and got these based on 42 x 42 x 18 tank.

Sides 18"x42 " 3/8 thickness:
3/8 Standard glass "tempered" "Polished" $50 each
3/8 Starphire 150 "tempered" "Polished" $120 each

Sides 18"x42 " 1/2 thickness:
1/2 Standard glass "tempered" "Polished" $82 each
1/2 Starphire 150 "tempered" "Polished" $150 each

Base 42"x42" 3/8 thickness:
Standard glass 42"x42" 3/8 "tempered" "Polished" $125 each
Starphire 42"x42" 3/8 "tempered" "Polished" $170

Base 42"x42" 1/2 thickness:
Standard glass 42"x42" 1/2 "tempered" "Polished" $270 each
Starphire 42"x42" 1/2 "tempered" "Polished" $350

I am planning on going starphire, there are a couple corners i could cut to save on over all cost, firstly use standard glass for the base, 3/8", with a tank at 18" tall based on the GARF's build your own custom tank tool:http://garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp i could probably still use 1/4" glass thickness which would be alot cheaper, anything over 18" would have to be 3/8".

I am still doing a massive research on this, i am waiting for my new camera to arrive so i can start taking some pictures of other custom tank build by Elos at a local reef shop.

This might be a Dumb question, but how much more beneficial is it to have tempered base? can you go with untempered base to save money?

That is the biggest ticket item there; I would imagine that if the bottom glass was thick enough you wouldn't have to temper it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14846050#post14846050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ski11z

You are putting words in my mouth. When I am looking for raw strength, I spend the extra money for the Stik-N-Seal.

Secondly, if you are going to do an acrylic to glass modification, there is no substitute.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14848005#post14848005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
That is the biggest ticket item there; I would imagine that if the bottom glass was thick enough you wouldn't have to temper it.
That's correct. Tempered bottoms are more of a sales gimmik than anything. Tempered glass handles point loading better than float glass, but you will never do anything in an aquarium that requires it.

It allows a manufacturer to make a lighter tank, which helps out on shipping materials. But to an end consumer, the shipping cost saved vs. the cost of the tank amounts to being dollar foolish and penny wise. Also, if you wanted to drill the tank for a modification down the road, your hands would be tied.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845426#post14845426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
Where would I find Stik-N-Seal at lowes? Is it with the caulk and silicone tubes? Or somewhere else?

It is hanging up with the adhesives. Look for the super glue and epoxy.

The adhesives are near the caulk and silicone in the paint section.

Back