RVANANO's 300 peninsula reef build

Had to get rid of it after it took out the birds nest.

Unfortunately the green slime algae is already back in full force. It started to go away after 3 days with no light but is back to where it was prior to that again. Not sure what I need to do. I now have about 160 hermits and have been shortening the photo period.

The issue is that it was getting better. Now getting worse in a very short amount of time. It's completely covering some rocks and is starting to cover some coral.

How would adding an ATS vs me doing it manually get rid of it? I don't want an ATS because I don't want the risk of malfunction. I have no problem doing it myself and I never go out of town.

Here is how my lighting has been programmed.

Actintic 1- on at 7:30
Actintic 2- on at 7:45
Coral +1- on at 9:00
Coral +2- on at 9:30
MH1- on at 12:00
MH2- on at 12:30
MH3- on at 1:00

MH1- off at 6:00
MH2- off at 6:30
MH3- off at 7:00
Coral +1 off at 8:00
Coral +2 off at 8:30
Actintic 1 off at 9:00
Actintic 2 off at 9:30

i love all the open space! your tank looks very nice but you need some anthelia and i know where you can get some. ;) ;) ;)

What mh bulb are you using? I would consider cutting the coral+ back to like 6-7 hrs. I have them on my frag tank and was getting crazy algae when I had them on for 8 hrs. Cut them back to 6.5 and added some red stripe trochus snails and the tank is spotless now.

Will definitely program them to be on for a shorter amount of time, thanks! Leaving the MH's off again for a few days and afterwards, will cut them back too.

How would adding an ATS vs me doing it manually get rid of it? I don't want an ATS because I don't want the risk of malfunction. I have no problem doing it myself and I never go out of town.

Automation is your friend but if you like doing stuff manually go for it I suppose...

Malfunction? The odds of that is so remote I'm not sure it's worth bringing up.

I have seen it happen numerous times actually. Enough for me not to have one. The floats often stick etc. But that still doesn't answer my question of how an ATS will solve my algae problem.

Back