RVANANO's 300 peninsula reef build

I am very happy to report that I purchased the Apex Gold system this weekend :) I got a deal that was better than black friday on a new one so I couldn't pass it up. Very excited to get it setup. I got all the lighting going but need some probe holders and want to figure out all my wire management before I finalize it. Since I still have a working 8 outlet power bar from my old Apex, I can now control up to 16 outlets with the new setup!

Lighting is setup as follows.

Actintic 1- on at 7:30
Actintic 2- on at 7:45
Coral +1- on at 9:00
Coral +2- on at 9:30
MH1- on at 12:00
MH2- on at 12:30
MH3- on at 1:00

MH1- off at 6:00
MH2- off at 6:30
MH3- off at 7:00
Coral +1 off at 8:00
Coral +2 off at 8:30
Actintic 1 off at 9:00
Actintic 2 off at 9:30

I also picked up a Red Sea Coral pro test kit with Ca, Mg and Alk, an orange shoulder tang and 5 more decent frags of coral. Will post pix later this week.

lastly, I was reading into the Gyre flow that Nina posted about. I am trying something different with the MP40's. Instead of reef crest mode, I am doing the long pulse mode and like the way the flow is moving in the tank even better now. I have them setup opposite of one another with the max speed set at 80% and the pulses last about 30 seconds each. Long enough to really move a wall of water across one side of the tank before it switches to the other.

Last edited:
Got it from the LFS. Constantly moves around and loves the sides of the tank. We plan on getting one or two more.

Do you have any trouble feeding it? I was at one of my LFSs this weekend and the guy said they are very picky eaters and are hard to keep alive, which stinks because they are very pretty and add a nice pop of color to the tank.

Got the Apex setup online last night. Amazing how much easier it is now. It was a total PITA when I got one of the first ones that became available. I ordered a nice probe holder from Neptune systems and will wait until it arrives before I setup any of the probes. Then it's time for some serious wire management.

Well everything worked great yesterday. Now half my lights aren't working nor is my display.. Not sure why because nothing was touched today. Hoping to get some support help soon.

Last edited:
Got some tech support via email pretty quickly. Seems it's something to do with the PM2 salinity unit and they are working through some diagnostics now.

Seems the USB/Aquabus cable was causing a short. Neptune is sending me a new cable for the PM2 salinity unit.

Wow just looked thru the whole build, unbelievable stuff! So jealous! Hopefully one day I can have something similar, peninsula is my favourite for sure.

More pics! :D

I definitely need to post some updates and will do so over the weekend. The rock finally has a lot of color to it and the corals are doing very well since the Apex is running the lighting. Before I was having to do it manually and so the MH's were only on for about 3 hours a day. Now 6-7 hours.

I have seen my Majestic nip at the birds nest only a few times which concerns me. I will try feeding a little more often but the angel may have to go.

I definitely need to post some updates and will do so over the weekend. The rock finally has a lot of color to it and the corals are doing very well since the Apex is running the lighting. Before I was having to do it manually and so the MH's were only on for about 3 hours a day. Now 6-7 hours.

I have seen my Majestic nip at the birds nest only a few times which concerns me. I will try feeding a little more often but the angel may have to go.

Keep any eye on the coral.
A little nipping is ok.
I hear this can even encourage coral growth.
Just make sure it isn't stressed out, has good PE, etc.

I love EVERYTHING about this build. The location in your home, equipment, minimalist aquascape, everything! This is exactly what I dream of having some day, but for now I'll have to settle with my 8 gallons on my kitchen counter. I'll be watching this one closely :)

No new photos because there still isn't enough change to show. I did have to return the majestic because it took out the birds nest. I also have this crazy looking algae all over the tank that I have never seen. Looks like snot coming off all the rocks. It's long and stringy. It comes free pretty easily but no one has been able to identify it. I can't access my photos at work and all I have is a crappy cell shot which I will try to remember to post when I get home.

I did pick up a blue throat trigger which seems to be doing very well.

That would have been my first guess too but it's not nearly as green as any other examples I have seen. It's really long and stringy and almost looks like deflated bubble algae. I added another 20 hermits and 2 snails yesterday. They seem to be going to town on it. I also have yet to set up my refugium.

The dinos I have seen are brownish green. Snotty looking with bubbles in the daytime, the bubbles make the snot rise up in stringy looking things

Back