S. Gigantea from LiveAquaria

ZorroV

Hey Guys, I ordered a medium sized(6"-9") tan colored GIG from LA and received it on Saturday. The GIG arrived in deflated with a gaping mouth. After acclimation the GIG looked a little better and it had closed its mouth. I put it in the DT and it started to look worse after an hour. I took it out and put it in the QT with egg crate, heater, power head and a airstone. Added 250ml Cipro and crossed my fingers hoping for the best. This morning it is looking a lot better and it has inflated a little and still has a tight mouth, but now that I can get a better look at it, it doesn't resemble a gig to me in anyway. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• GIG 1.jpg
    GIG 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GIG 2.jpg
    GIG 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GIG 3.jpg
    GIG 3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
yes they do, their quality seems to be less as expected and seem to send the wrong things , at the same time they would add something to your cart without the stock, what gives?

Pretty sure that's not a gig. Looks like an atlantic carpet (s. helianthus). This misidentification by LA appears to be quite common. Although from what I have heard they are good about providing refunds/sending replacements, it troubles me that this continues to happen. One would think that after the first incident or so, they would get their act together. Perhaps they are banking that inexperienced aquarists won't be able to tell the difference?

ptr13, I agree with you. This is my second time purchasing a GIG. The first time I placed my order I got a confirmation and a order number. The time came to ship my order on Friday for a Saturday delivery and I got a email stating that they were unable to fulfill my order. What a bummer, I had waited all week for it. This time around I got the wrong specimen.

I'm fairly certain s. Helianthus have much more defined verracue. I'm pretty sure you got what you paid for~s. Gigantea.

Liveaquaria from California is always a mix while DD a guarantee. Guess drs will necessarily look into their facility on west coast

I took your picture and crop it a little to point to the area that positively ID it as a Gigantea, which is the green foot and the verrucae on the column. Stressed Gigantea can have very light spots which will intensify as he regain his healthy

attachment.php

Attachments

• GIG 3.jpg
    GIG 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
yes they do, their quality seems to be less as expected and seem to send the wrong things , at the same time they would add something to your cart without the stock, what gives?

Did that to me last week. Said it was in stock, but wasn't.

I took your picture and crop it a little to point to the area that positively ID it as a Gigantea, which is the green foot and the verrucae on the column. Stressed Gigantea can have very light spots which will intensify as he regain his healthy

attachment.php

I think he's a 3-4" Gig. For sure not an Atlantic. Like Minh said, the green foot is positive ID. The tentacles do appear very fat. In fact, they're fatter than some mags I've seen lately. Definitely a unique specimen! Interested to see pics in few weeks.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. I will update with pics. Just did a 50% water change and added 250ml of Cipro. At the moment he is not looking to well.

attachment.php

I didn't know that it will loose the spot color . I am learning a lot everyday here on RC. :spin3:

Its Day 2 on cipro and he doesnt seem like he is reacting to well to it.

Attachments

• 06202014RC.jpg
    06202014RC.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Not looking good. Dose 5 days and if no response, change medication.

Try to dose 7 days straight. No more than 10 days.

Back