Serpentman's 300g upgrade

I don't know how to subscribe, but I am happy to have found this thread. Your tank, everything is awesome. Love the setup, the fish, the corals, all of it! So nice and clean as well.

I hope to get a 300gallon soon.... er or later, and this thread is the perfect tool for me for ideas on set ups, look forward to more pics and updates :)

I don't know how to subscribe, but I am happy to have found this thread. Your tank, everything is awesome. Love the setup, the fish, the corals, all of it! So nice and clean as well.

I hope to get a 300gallon soon.... er or later, and this thread is the perfect tool for me for ideas on set ups, look forward to more pics and updates :)

Go to thread tools on the 2nd blue bar and click subscribe.

Its been a crazy week or so. A week from last Friday I scratched my thumb working on a buddy's tank. By the following Sunday, I had a raging infection that started traveling up my arm. After 3-1/2 days in the hospital and some minor surgery, they got things under control (knock-on-wood). Needless to say, some tank projects were pushed back a bit.

DSCF0488-1.jpg

So I came home from the hospital and began working on the tank...one-handed. I installed the 2nd skimmer on my system.

DSCF0491.jpg

And resumed work on the LED's.

DSCF0490.jpg

Hmm... Jeff was there supposed to be a picture of that new 2nd skimmer and LED progress?? I have been pretty curious what you are putting online as a 2nd skimmer.

Hmm... Jeff was there supposed to be a picture of that new 2nd skimmer and LED progress?? I have been pretty curious what you are putting online as a 2nd skimmer.

They should show up now. For some reason Photobucket was very non-responsive yesterday. The second skimmer is the Reeflo 200. Between it and the 250, I'm hoping I'm covered ;)

Thanks for the info Jeff.
Hope the infection is totally cured. Any idea what bacteria it was???

I am also interested in this.

Hey guys, I am hoping to find out more on Thursday when I go for follow up. When I was discharged, the infectious disease doc said there were several culprits and they were still culturing new and different gram positive bacterial colonies even then.

Another critical step in the LED switch has taken place...they actually lit. Thanks to Mike (Cleveyank) for coming over and helping with some of the tedious soldering.

So far I have 2 arrays completed. A third lights but will be resoldered to neaten it up.

Pics are lousy but more details to follow as I do some more testing. Also, I took some readings with a kill-o-watt. The following arrays (48 LED's total) used about 133W.

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0524.jpg

Hi just finished reading a major part of your thread, congrats on a very interesting thread and an awesome tank. I'm glad to hear that your arm is doing better, I've also read other posts were people have gotten infections from scrapes on L/R but I've never really worried about it till now. Reading about your experience :eek1: I think I'm going to start wearing the long gloves from now on. Please keep us posted on your health and the results of the bacteria culture.

I know your not happy with the spread of the light, but what about the color of you corals do you like the 2:1 ration of blue to white?

The coral colors look awesome with that mixture. I did some in-air testing with two arrays lit and the intensity is much better. One array just wouldn't get it done. The optics should be arriving today for the XPG whites. Once I have them, I should get a good idea of what to expect.

All 6 arrays have been wired and are ready to go. I am going to mount 2 over the tank tonight or tomorrow to do some actual testing in water. If all goes well, I may try to make the switch over the weekend.

I got the optics in for the XPG's. They were a PITA to mount as each one needs to be glued. However the results were significantly improved.

I slapped 2 arrays (48 LEDs) total over the left side of the tank and was very impressed. The colors really pop with almost purplish hue. PAR was fantastic. I was getting 500 near the top and ~200 at the sand. As you can see from the pic, the spread isn't too shabby either.

Lousy pic as I've been so busy with other things that I've been lax on cleaning the glass.

DSCF0534.jpg

What size optics are you using again? I was about to say that your coverage with LEDs looks amazing (same width as the MH) and the color looks almost identical to the MHs as well, but then I noticed that the VHOs were still on. Do you plan on leaving the VHOs in when you go all LED? What does you tank look like without those turned on?

Those PAR numbers are not shabby at all! I was never able to get 200 on the sandbed in my 24" deep tank, but I also only had one fixture running. I bet the overlap of two 24 bulb fixtures helps a lot!

LOOKS GREAT!
But don't keep us in suspense, how's your arm and what caused it.

So far the cultures yielded several species of strep and a few other unfamiliar gram positive bacteria.

What size optics are you using again? I was about to say that your coverage with LEDs looks amazing (same width as the MH) and the color looks almost identical to the MHs as well, but then I noticed that the VHOs were still on. Do you plan on leaving the VHOs in when you go all LED? What does you tank look like without those turned on?

Those PAR numbers are not shabby at all! I was never able to get 200 on the sandbed in my 24" deep tank, but I also only had one fixture running. I bet the overlap of two 24 bulb fixtures helps a lot!

I'm using the 60 degrees in the middle and 80's on the ends. That's a good point as I forgot to turn the VHO off. There is only one bulb running so it will be interesting to see what effects it will make. I am going to work on getting the whole rack installed this weekend so I'll post updates once I know more. If there is spotlighting, worst case, if all it takes is 1 bulb to "blend", I'll run a single T5 and call it a day.

Reference two fixtures, the results are night and day. I put one up there and was actually cursing that this wasn't going to work as it looked way too dim. The second fixture makes all the difference in the world.

wow your tank just keeps geting better every day stuning.

What is the pink (almost looks like plate coral) on the right side?

Back