Serpentman's 300g upgrade

serpentman ,I love the shadow box idea , that is awesome . The look is Just like diving on a reef .

I would like to try to do something like that , when I do my up grade .

yeah i just read that in the past posted. do u think that a led allinone fixture would do good with sps. i am currentley rocking a mh and t5 fixture on my 72 sps tank with good results just wondering about leds. i was talking to a guy the other day that had leds and said he was having trouble with to much light but he only had softys. this is going to be a big tank and alot of money and dont wont to have to buy 2 or 3 times like i have done in the past. what kind of return pump are u using to run all the tanks and returns?

I found that I had better PAR with my MH's at shallow depths. At 12" I was pulling 750 with the MHs and about 450 with the LEDs. However at depth, the penetration was slightly better with the LEDs. On the sand I was 250 with the LEDs and around 175-200 with the MHs. I think LED's and possibly plasma are the wave of the future. However, after running LED's only on my 45 cube in my office, I can make some observations. Although the pop you get with royal blues is out of this world, when I bring the whites on, I'm not happy with color. IMO, the reds and pinks are extremely muted compared to a radiant bulb (i.e. T5, MH, etc). I still think more work has to be done to experiment with proper color mixture. I know some folks are working with warmer whites to bring out more reds. Therefore, after dropping a small fortune on them, I decided the colors still were where I wanted so I bailed. I'll definitely go that way in the future. However, I'm holding out to see if the kinks are worked out.

serpentman ,I love the shadow box idea , that is awesome . The look is Just like diving on a reef .

I would like to try to do something like that , when I do my up grade .

Thanks! You won't regret it. In person, it really does add a lot of dimension to the tank. It's very subtle but as soon as you turn the shadowbox off, it amazing how much smaller the tank looks.

Hey Jeff, I've visited your thread several times in the since the start, and took the time to reread it today. Always good to think about builds from begining to end! I gotta stockpile the ideas until I can talk my wife into a 96" system! Your thread has convinced me that 36" deep is a must. Keep up the good work and thanks for the docementation!

what do u think about thesehttp://www.reefgeek.com/manufacturer/AquaIllumination/72_inch__Sol_Super_Blue_6xModule_LED_Light_System_w!_Controller_by_AquaIllumination

Hey Jeff, I've visited your thread several times in the since the start, and took the time to reread it today. Always good to think about builds from begining to end! I gotta stockpile the ideas until I can talk my wife into a 96" system! Your thread has convinced me that 36" deep is a must. Keep up the good work and thanks for the docementation!

Thanks. I'll never go with a narrow tank again. 36" makes a huge difference. My only regret is I didn't go 8'. My next tank will be 96" x 48". However, that is several years away.

what do u think about thesehttp://www.reefgeek.com/manufacturer/AquaIllumination/72_inch__Sol_Super_Blue_6xModule_LED_Light_System_w!_Controller_by_AquaIllumination

It appears to be a good unit. However, IMHO, I think you should look into building your own. If I read that correctly, it has 72 LED's. I think when I built my original array which was 144 LEDs, it came to about $1500. Even if you aren't a DIY type, they are very easy to work with.

yeah i just read that in the past posted. do u think that a led allinone fixture would do good with sps. i am currentley rocking a mh and t5 fixture on my 72 sps tank with good results just wondering about leds. i was talking to a guy the other day that had leds and said he was having trouble with to much light but he only had softys. this is going to be a big tank and alot of money and dont wont to have to buy 2 or 3 times like i have done in the past. what kind of return pump are u using to run all the tanks and returns?

Don't want to hijack Jeff's thread but I have been running 3 120 Watt LEDs on my 300 for 3 months how. The colors are incredible and even have growth in my SPS. Feel free to check out the build thread but skip to the last page.

Paid less than $800 for the 3 units.

Just went downstairs and found 40g of water on the floor! Ughh!

The flange on one of my media reactors completely gave way. Some of the wiring was smoking. I have no idea why the GFCI didn't trip. Thank God I was home!

All has been cleaned up and disaster averted. Man that was a lot of water...

Realy like your shadow box back drop , here is my version of it on my 120,
021-1.jpg

About an hour ago, I saw your coral picture on the sps forum.
That is an incredible colony with great growth. After seeing that I had to check out your home page to see what sort of system was empowering this little guy.

You definitely have contributed to RC with a very informative thread and lots of great pictures.
A quirky little thing that caught my attention are the live plants in the equipment room. Have you noticed if they have helped.

Hope some day to have a sound system like yours!

Paul Stegmaier
2 years and still rebuilding
All this for a little 72Lx30Wx25H peninsula in our living room

_F4U4645-2.jpg

That is an incredible colony with great growth. After seeing that I had to check out your home page to see what sort of system was empowering this little guy.

You definitely have contributed to RC with a very informative thread and lots of great pictures.
A quirky little thing that caught my attention are the live plants in the equipment room. Have you noticed if they have helped.

Paul Stegmaier

_F4U4645-2.jpg

Thanks Paul. I would say if your pic of you equipment room is any indicator, you're off to a fantastic start. Nice and clean. Love the tiled walls.

I'm not really sure about the plants. However, I recently finished trimming in the front and noticed that my pH actually went up. This also precipitated a spike in Alk and my temps started climbing higher. Both precipitated a couple of corals to STN. However, now that things have equilibrated, things appear to have settled down. I think the plants have positively contributed to air quality. This was probably negligible with the tank open to the rest of the basement. However with the room sealed, I think they are starting to have the desired effect.

While plants photosynthesize and produce oxygen during the day, I was under the impression that they respire normally and produce CO2 at night. I wlays thought having plants in your fish room would increase the CO2 concentration and thus drive the pH down even farther at night. Do you have a reverse light schedule for the plants?

While plants photosynthesize and produce oxygen during the day, I was under the impression that they respire normally and produce CO2 at night. I wlays thought having plants in your fish room would increase the CO2 concentration and thus drive the pH down even farther at night. Do you have a reverse light schedule for the plants?

I believe you are correct. I may experiment. Now that the room is sealed, I'll log the parameters with the controller for 2 weeks, then remove the plants to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Paul Stegmaier

_F4U4645-2.jpg

looks like a hospital room for fish. it looks like a awesome setup

Back