Serpentman's 300g upgrade

Dang man, looking great as always. Who shot your pictures. I need them to come over and shoot some pictures of mine.

An air exchanger is definitely in the plans as humidity in the room is 85%. I do have an exhaust fan that helps. However, my poured concrete walls sweat when its really cold out.

I haven't installed one yet because I have some issues with where to put it because of some dead air that collects along my foundation on that side of the house. I was pulling outside air in for my skimmer and it was actually pulling in methane gas that was collecting along my foundation from our leach bed on still evenings. Ahh country living.

You may need to duct a line across the basement to the other side of the house and hook helper fans to make the exchanger work. Or cut a pair of ducts into the wall upstairs and put in vents to push and pull from the 1st story levels. It can be done, it just may require a tad more work. Given the odd methane and other issues, this may be time for a true HVAC guy over the DIY.

Thanks all!

Love the corals colors.
That efflo looks like its grown a bit since the latest pics?

It's been growing a lot. The gap between it and the pink milli in the middle is rapidly shrinking. There will come a time very soon where I'll have to make the difficult decision to trim it back or let it take over.

Dang man, looking great as always. Who shot your pictures. I need them to come over and shoot some pictures of mine.

Believe it or not, I took them with my point and shoot. Its a pretty slick camera and was $ but still much less than an SLR.

Looks Fantastic and more reeflike as the time goes by,
but still not enough cow bell.:beer:

Thanks dude,

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

You may need to duct a line across the basement to the other side of the house and hook helper fans to make the exchanger work. Or cut a pair of ducts into the wall upstairs and put in vents to push and pull from the 1st story levels. It can be done, it just may require a tad more work. Given the odd methane and other issues, this may be time for a true HVAC guy over the DIY.

Yeah, I am definitely going to need some professional consultation. Especially if my expansion plans ;) come to fruition.

So I ask you this, what could be better than a 300g aquarium.....

Two 300g aquariums! I just brought this bad boy home last night. First, shout out to Cleveyank, Purplereef and Soundreefer for busting their humps to get this here. The tank is 96Lx24Wx30H and is going to be a FOWLR so I can finally keep some non-reef safe beauties. Tank is gonna get some TLC and a complete overhaul. I plan to buff and polish and may reinforce the seams to be safe. Also, gonna overhaul the stand to make it furniture quality. Lot of work and it will be a slow build so I can tinker and do it right.

Some large fish (sailfin tang, naso tang, etc.) came with it. It was a rough go as the O2 in the container plummeted. All the fish were laying lifeless on the bottom. Cleveyank and I did a little CPR last night by raising the O2 and temp. I'm happy to report that they are alive this morning and appear to be in good shape.

DSCF3020.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

Oh yeah, love the latest pics.

Thanks dude. The new tank def needs a little tlc. However it has the perfect dimensions for some large fish.

Jeff, Ur nuts fyi :)

Yeah, I probably need professional help, lol!

Nice pick up love the dimensions. Will you plum it into your system or have a complete separate set up? Mike

This will be a completely different system to avoid add too much bioload on the reef.

That is awesome. I wish I had room for another big tank, I'd love a Clown Trigger!!!!

This is my last big tank. Unfortunately my basement is shrinking fast. I'm giving serious though to what trigger I want. Also want a large angel.

Jeff on your background did you put the frosted acrylic right behind your tank glass then paint the back of the shadow box?

After some negotiations with the better half, here is the proposed location of the new tank. I was actually wanting to make it a stand alone unit with a typical stand and canopy. However, she said and I quote "You're not turning this basement into a friggin' fish store!" So we both agreed an inwall would tie it into the existing tank. The stand is going to be replaced and the tank raised a few inches. Trim will match the current stand. May start the framing tomorrow or next weekend....

Doesn't it dwarf the current tank? Hard to believe they both hold the same volume.

DSCF3025.jpg

This is my last big tank. Unfortunately my basement is shrinking fast. I'm giving serious though to what trigger I want. Also want a large angel.

There's so many cool triggers out there. Why not get um' all!? ;) Looks like you have the room.. I really like bluethroat/crosshatch if you can afford them and find them, humu humu triggers and clown triggers.

What are you going to illuminate this bad boy with? T5/leds

Crosshatch would be cool. However, to this day, I still struggle with paying more than $150 for a fish. It'll be a long while until I have the stones to pay $500+

For lighting, since I already have the equipment I'm actually contemplating mounting 4 x 250W MH's on it. Its FOWLR, so they won't serve much function and would only fire when I'm down there looking at the tank. I can actually use spent bulbs. I am probably going to throw some low output lighting on there for day-to-day use to simulate daytime.

A little uptake on my "side project". Thanks to Cleveyank for the help....

I decided to bag the in-wall approach. Once I got the tank in place, it was just too cluttered over there and detracted from my main reef too much. So I decided to build a contained stand that will look as though its in-wall but be portable. The stand the tank came from was shot so I started from scratch. Here is yesterday and today's progress. The "skin" is tacked on as the tank will need to come out to paint the inside of the stand. Once that is done, I do the finish trim.

Framed
DSCF3055.jpg

Skinned
DSCF3063.jpg

My wife has put up with a lot of crap with this hobby and not too many complaints, but if I showed up with another 300 she would MURDER me! Anyway, your set up is awesome!

Back