spearer id help wanted

Well im no expert, but I dont think you can get an ID with so little of the mantis in the picture. I think youll have much more accurate results if you can get pics of the telson and/or meral spots. Color isnt a very reliable source for identification as there are several varations of color in the same species. There are some species that have unique eyes or markings that will enable you to get a positive ID with out seeing much of the actual shrimp, but im not sure what those are... Anyway, take a look at this page and see if it can help.

Clicky

Good Luck

Yeah we know its difficult but I'm definitely not going to extricate them from burrows just for the id. We think these particular spearers are the ones with specific eye markings and have some tentative names on a couple of them now....unfortunately it looks like a number of photos on the internet are mislabelled so the usual google image search comparison isn't helping.

im no expert...but look at this guys eyes...it has spots in its eyes
160666343_4331c0541c.jpg

it looks like a Pseudosquilla ciliata

same with this one
1149810597_864_014.jpg

Those aren't P. cilata. I have two P. cilata, and their eyes look sort of like a bicycle reflector, they aren't spotted. they also don't sit in a burrow like that, waiting for dinner.
That is some sort of Lysiosquillid.

-Ron

Well we currently think both those are Lysiosquillina lisa and the red one is Lysiosquillina maculata but the other we haven't a clue on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7564246#post7564246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uriel
Those aren't P. cilata. I have two P. cilata, and their eyes look sort of like a bicycle reflector, they aren't spotted. they also don't sit in a burrow like that, waiting for dinner.
That is some sort of Lysiosquillid.

-Ron

good call. i was tired when i was lookin at the list, i think p. cilata was the 2nd or 3rd i checked and went with it. The pictures on roys list look to me like they are spotted, but the lysiosquillids look much more like it.

Back