Starting over: what would you do differently?

Capt_Cully

Many are aware of my recent disaster and subsequent decision to rebuild.

My system was designed to be simpler and lower maintenance, which it was. I think I pretty much nailed what I wanted to accomplish. The only things I'm going to change are these three things:

1) adding 2 more T5 bulbs for a total of 4 with Radions that I'm going to dial back.

2) adding Vortech QD wet sides

3) adding an additional fluid reactor for GFO.

That's pretty much all I can think of.....

What would you do differently to your system? I've made no bones about plagiarizing ideas from others, and I won't stop now.

I can give a more detailed layout of my system if guys want to trouble shoot it or spitball ideas.

I'll do a build thread once things come together. My conservative estimate on that is probably 3-4 months from now.

Cully I seen your last setup and believe me you had the system dialed in. My favorite was the remote area you had setup in the closet for your water. Smart idea. Thinking of also doing the same with mine.

The only thing I would of done different is to change my plumbing all around to make some kind of manifold in my sump area to run different reactors and or a refugium.

Oh and you'll love the Vortech QD's. What a difference maker they are from the old ones. You can't even hear them run.

Good luck on the build, post lots of pictures and glad that you stayed in the game!

I like it Dave. Saves me a power head. Mabey a small gate valve to fine tune flow to the two reactors. Plus a ball valve for "on-off" when changing media. I've been toying with going bigger on my return pump and dialing it back.

BeanAnimal drains. I used straight runs and used clean outs at the top so I can easily clean the drains if it ever becomes an issue.

I ran my returns through my rear glass, then over my coast to coast, which will be a bear if I ever have to do anything to it. My reasoning was that I wanted it to be simple to make a canopy to prevent jumpers.

My wiring is a mess. Once I get back from my road trip, I'm configuring a 120 for a sump with a display fuge, then tackling the wiring by mounting my Apex to a board.

While I do like the Neptune DOS, I don't think I'd buy them again. I picked up a Watson Marlow pump to run my CARX and the difference is night and day. I'm probably going to sell off two of my DOS and set up a Masterflex with three heads to run an AWC system that runs my display water through my QT before going to waste.

I'm going to be setting up the 120 in the new house soon, and the things I'm considering doing differently are:

1. coast-to-coast Herbie/BeanAnimal overflow instead or corner overflow
2. Vortech QD's (two 40s or maybe one 60)
3. put display in basement family room or living room near kitchen...?

Things I'll be doing the same:
1. 2x 250watt radium MH's on M80 ballasts. +48" blue ReefBrite XHO strip.
2. bare-bottom
3. All topoff with kalkwater, plus dosing Ca, Alk with LiterMeterIII

Cully, which/how many Vortechs are you considering? Standard 120, right?

I forgot, I'm going with the Synergy Ghost overflow which is a beananimal essentially.

My old 120 was a Bean into a simple sump with filter sick. Skimz SK 181 kone skimmer. Acrylic probe holder. DC return pump. Dead quiet set up.

No Refugium. Toying with that still, but want to keep things set up in a way such that a leak is contained....so much for that.

I started with pure Radions but the reality was that my newer lax maintenance regimen caused flux in alkalinity and affected coloration under LEDs alone. So I added T5s. Going to veer more in that direction moving forward.

I do have a Ca Reactor but never needed to turn it on. It is online with water circulating, but no CO2.

The SINGLE best thing I've ever done is going to Kalk ATO. World of difference regarding stability.

Will-I'd go Kitchen. Keep it where you spend your time. Sometimes when you nice to s new home, you need to liver there a bit before you understand where you actually hang most of the time. We have this beautiful sitting room with a fire place and leather furniture for entertaining. We never go in there. Everybody always congregates in the kitchen/family room. That's where the tank is. My wife says she hates cooking without being able to watch our clowns. Easy decision to rebuild.

2 Vortechs on back wall. I hate the way they look on side panels. I've always kept them at maybe 60%. I hate the hum. Looking forward to turning them up with the QD wet sides.

Im not sure on your end, but one of the biggest mistakes I think I made was going with mostly dry rock. Even after 2 years in the tank, it wasnt even close to the look and biodiversity I saw in my real live rock pieces. I also can't explain it, but the majority of the 10-20 year old tanks I see that still look awesome, and the tanks that are neglected but still grow good coral, have all been 100% live rock. Going that route next time.

If I could start over, I would;

1.) Go with a bigger skimmer and accommodate its footprint in a suitable sump (love knowing I am exporting just as much as I am importing)

2.) Bigger return pump

3.) placed my aquarium in a more visible place!

4.) lastly, never would have gotten into saltwater! Lol. More expensive than kids!

Btw Mark, read about your leak and so sorry to hear man. This hobby can take the wind out of you sometimes. I am glad your sticking around tho, not many old school guys like you around. I gave away most of my SPS (yes gave away) a while back as I didn't have the time to keep SPS but you are welcomed to anything in my tank you would like.

I've never seen problems with dry rock my whole tank was dry rock and there's no way you'd be ever able to tell now, and why dial the radions back I have hydras over my tank and corals are loving it...willing to try anything new like zeovit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I m basically rebuilding myself. Single mh with reefbrite is making me happy . I broke down and bought a trigger system sump. I have grye 150, I haven't put online yet. Still haven't decided on a skimmer yet.

Scott, I do have one on my reactor. I never had to fire it up though as my demand was low. It was ready to fire up if Alk became unstable, but it was driving my pH down. I might add a reaction chamber, or just hold off. My home made Kalk reactor with Litermeter slave pump was working very well.

Back