Stop and think about it......seriously!!

if marine warehouse is your lfs then i could see why you would think that online prices are cheaper.
I shop primarily at faois and find that there prices are more than comparable to online retailers in most cases.

++++11111

If Marine Warehouse is your LFS then I could see why you would think that online prices are cheaper.
I shop primarily at FAOIS and find that there prices are more than comparable to online retailers in most cases.
Unfortunately for some of us Faois is about twenty minutes further down the road and directly past Marine warehouse. :sad2:

There's a thread on another board that's worth the read. A google search of "The LFS Redoux" should get you there (yes the thread title is spelled wrong). The fact of the matter is if you're going to survive in the age of the internet, the LFS (as well as many other retail businesses) are going to have to start running their store like a website with an emphasis on excellent customer service. The latter part being the difference between the sale and someone buying online. Warm welcomes and a genuine interest in the customer goes a long way.

I found success in my business based on a couple key practices I employ in business... I am here to serve you. It's my privilege to have the opportunity to earn your business. Without the customer, I have no business. And second, I am not here to sell you anything, instead I'm here to figure out what you want and make it happen. I've found this approach to reward me very well. But it's important to note that's how I genuinely feel toward my clients and they know it. In turn they continue to do business with me and refer others to me.

And remember, "In all labor there's profit". I always tell myself this when I go the extra mile or do things for customers even though I won't earn any money. Many times I've been rewarded with referrals despite never earning a dime from the original customer.

Last edited:
It's funny how a mature thought like supporting local business' can be turned into a fanboy bashing of people's "favorite" LFS. Honestly, every LFS in the area has Pros AND Cons but none deserve to be bashed.

Every LFS I have been to has provided great customer service. Did I always agree with their suggestions or prices? No. Were there time when I felt "ignored" because they might be busy? Sure. Did I find a better deal at another LFS for that one item I needed? Yep. But I pride myself on being an educated customer, I do not DEPEND on the advice of others, I CONSIDER it!

Most important, I treat people with the same respect I expect to receive, its never personal. The world is not fair, businesses don't always have access to the same pricing tiers for products, their overhead can be higher, etc.. They did not open their doors to screw you, be rude to you or undermine your accomplishments. They opened their doors with the hopes of building repeat customers and making money. If they also try to give back to the reefing community, well, that is just a great bonus and one of many good reasons to spend a little more at that LFS.

One of the most valuable things you can do is develop a relationship with all the LFS so you can shop around for best price, ask if they can do better to match what you see online. Try that with a customer service line for an online retailer and let me know how it works out for you.

Cuzza, you said it! Online/internet whatever tou wanna call it. The problem with lfs and many stores compared to online retailers, is the convenience of me clicking and shopping. If I could get some comparable price on the equipment aspect of the hobby, i have no problem paying a touch more especially when that store may be close by and have livestock or something of interest to me on a weekly/monthly basis. I see absurd prices on old/ outdated "new" equipment and I tend to go to the next shop. Then ultimately get tired of driving in the tri-county area. We all know how fun that is.
If some of these shops would like to survive, I really think a point/click interface with their customers is what would help. Via a website I could see what products/brands they can order and what their price range is. Unfortunately the business model has changed like mentioned above and unless you're a very successful shop"which there are a few around" they will not make it. I almost think they've approached the problem by not carrying a lot of equipment due to the online competition and have stuck to the livestock portion more so. I have to say though, I have found where to go for some needs and where not to go.
If there was a quicker route than an hour away from faois I'd be there alot. Same with the corral. I do try to support my shops whenever I can though.

Considering this thread was about the importance of the LFS. I find it odd that people here are actually bad mouthing any LFS. Isn't the idea to support them all ?

I really only go to faois ... there is a lot of other ones I've always wanted to go to and check out but John is always closer and top notch. It's rare I get fish elsewhere

I go to coral corral sometimes too love their display Tanks and they usually have Eels and sharks in stock.

I like to go to Elite which is really close to my house but that's just for frags usually

A lot of online retailers have started charging this, I'm assuming due to pressure from the states. Even Amazon does now.

The only reason Amazon charges tax to us is because they have to by law. They are now based in Florida and have to charge taxes to everyone living in Florida. Before they moved here they did not charge tax.

Cuzza, you said it! Online/internet whatever tou wanna call it. The problem with lfs and many stores compared to online retailers, is the convenience of me clicking and shopping. If I could get some comparable price on the equipment aspect of the hobby, i have no problem paying a touch more especially when that store may be close by and have livestock or something of interest to me on a weekly/monthly basis. I see absurd prices on old/ outdated "new" equipment and I tend to go to the next shop. Then ultimately get tired of driving in the tri-county area. We all know how fun that is.
If some of these shops would like to survive, I really think a point/click interface with their customers is what would help. Via a website I could see what products/brands they can order and what their price range is. Unfortunately the business model has changed like mentioned above and unless you're a very successful shop"which there are a few around" they will not make it. I almost think they've approached the problem by not carrying a lot of equipment due to the online competition and have stuck to the livestock portion more so. I have to say though, I have found where to go for some needs and where not to go.
If there was a quicker route than an hour away from faois I'd be there alot. Same with the corral. I do try to support my shops whenever I can though.

I agree with this. I am very new to this hobby and am doing my first build right now. I do tons of research for everything I purchase and check pricing at several places before purchasing. I don't make a ton of money so I like to get items as inexpensive as possible. I don't mind spending a little more at a local store depending how good they are. To get to my point I decided to go online to look at items and pricing for local LFS since I have several around me. To my surprise they had no information on products, inventory, pricing, brands..... For certain things I want to buy I'm not willing to drive to five stores to figure out if they have the items and pricing, nor do I have the time. I really do think it would be extremely beneficial to have an up to date website where people can go to check what is in stock, brands, pictures, pricing and even online help. It would expand their business, customer base and profit. It is something that is very easy to do and can be done for almost no money and some extra time. This would make it easier for them and for us. That's my two cents and I will still shop locally and online depending on what I need.

This is a great thread and something that should have been brought up because mom and pop shops close down all the time. Once they are gone more than likely they will not be coming back.

I'm fairly new to the hobby too. I also don't think its bad mouthing lfs by pointing out the flaws of the ways of past. Sometimes I walk in some "pet shops" abd feel like I took a step into the 80's -90's era equipment lol. I think what seems to be negative bashing is actually all feedback of what today's consumers are looking for.

To elaborate a little more on my earlier post and the suggested business model idea in the referenced thread, I thought about my LDS (Local Dive Shop). They run a similar business model that was suggested and it appears to be quite successful and I believe it curbs a lot of the "touch in store, then buy online" issues many retailers deal with. Many dive shops face the same issues as fish stores. I suppose it's just the nature of a niche hobby/sport.

Nevertheless, the business model is pretty simple. The store is setup like a hangout. Everyone is greeted by the owner and staff. If you show up around lunch time you can expect to be sharing whatever everyone agrees on eating. They have an e-commerce website, though I believe it's more utilized as an online inventory and catalog of the products they offer. Which is great for a local guy to see if something is in stock. But the big deal with them is they are adamant to customers that whatever you need or want, they will get and they will price match any verified competitors price. Now, those two things probably don't eliminate the Amazon competitor, but the customer experience trumps Amazon every time and puts more money in the cash register.

So here's an example. If I want to buy a new BCD. I'll do what most people do. Start researching online. I narrow down a few options and note some prices. I check my LDS website to see if they're in stock. 2 of the 3 are in stock. Great, I head over. Shoot the **** for a few minutes, maybe partake in some sandwiches from the local deli. Now I can touch the 3 display model products, try it on, ask questions, etc. I decide I want the 3rd option that isn't in stock and I ask for a price match. No problem. Done. They'll have my order in house in a few days when it comes in. Then they also get to capture the ancillary sales as well, need some lead for that new BC? Here's a dive knife, an SMB, etc.

Now, compare that with ordering online. I paid the same price. It will take about the same time to receive the product, but I got to continue building my relationship with the guys at the LDS and even better, perhaps they'll do business with me too in the future. It's an all around better experience. Does my LDS get all of my business? Of course not, but they certainly get the first crack at it and if nothing else we got to break some bread and become friends.

I have a sign in my house when you walk in the front door. It's written in Italian, but it says, "Enter as friends, leave as family." I love my relationship with local businesses that leave you feeling the same way. Hell, I stopped in Daly Aluminum today for a little DIY dive project I'm working on and I'm greeted by my first name and treated like family there. That is the advantage retailers have over online stores, customer service. They just need to find a way to make the buying experience a little similar to a website and they will bring back a lot of the Amazon and online website market share.

Cuzza is referencing what the "business model of tomorrow" will be. The internet has changed the way we shop and buy, whether we like it or not. The above scheme would work for me. I know that I prefer certain products over others. There is no way a LFS can stock "everything for everyone". With all of us being consumed by work and family and just life, servicing our hobby is a huge cut of our spare time. For me, search, buy, and deliver to my door is becoming a way of life not only for hobby, but most everything we buy. I recently did a 2 year assignment in China. You could order everything from local shops online and delivery was that day or the next at the latest. It was just the way they shopped and we kind of liked it to be truthful.

So, things are changing and LFS have to change as well. We can all sit back and say "oh we better support or they won't be there", but they are going to have to change with the way folks are shopping now in the year 2016..... sad, but true!

Indeed Mike. And the industry as a whole is going to have to support that type of model. The manufacturers and more so the distributors are going to have to figure out a way to support this model. They basically need to be the Amazon for the retailers.

Aside from my Financial Services business I own a screen printing and embroidery company as well. It's a business I was involved in since high school and at one point we were pushing $2million in revenue each year selling freaking Tshirts. But the only reason we were able to grow the way we did was the distributorship and support for this industry is phenomenal. When the Internet started taking market share we had to adapt. Fortunately the industry was ready to support us. Hell, they basically give you a website that reflects the warehouse inventory, ecommerce and customization all for free. Most distributors give you free shipping on orders above $100-200 and have warehouse locations within one day ground shipping. This model works fantastic. Obviously apparel is a much larger market, but I see no reason why it can't be duplicated by the marine aquarium hobby.

I will add though, the margins in this hobby are not all that good for retailers. There's something wrong with the supply chain and pricing in this business.

Last edited:
^^^^ Yep. Nobody local stocks Neptune items except maybe a full kit, Bubbleking or Higher end Coralvue skimmers. No Coralvue pumps. No 4 pump dosers. No Reefgrow which I am getting heavily into lately but looking at what I use there is nobody for me to shop with. Except for fish food and di resin of course.
Corals are hard to buy too. Who in their right mind wants to walk into a store and see fake colors under all blue lights? Most corals I am after under their daylights are white or brown.

I understand the benefits of ordering dry goods and equipment online. But I don't see why anyone would use a online retailer for livestock. When I pick out my fish, corals, etc. I want to see how they're kept, if they're eating, and observe their behavior. I don't just want any old longfin fairy wrasse, I want the one with the especially red face and the bright orange body. Yes, that one right there with extra bit of iridescent purplish blue in his tail. That's the one.

And you can't do that online unless you're paying a premium for a WYSIWYG fish. And if you're not purchasing a WYSIWYG specimen you're essentially allowing an online retailer to select for you an unremarkable specimen that you've never observed to see how it's eating, if it's healthy, etc.

EDIT: lol @ crying about a 20 minute drive. Are you the same characters complaining that the Rays stadium is too far away while assuring everyone that you're a real baseball fan?

Last edited:
Back