The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15414112#post15414112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moondoggy4
How about the the BM160 external skimmer should be perfect.

thanks, is this a tried and tested external skimmer, i,ve always had my skimmers in the sump, i,m still a bit baffled how these skimmers don,t perform in deeper water

You can look back in the beginning of this thread there are several people who have them, I do not believe that a ext is effected by the depth of the water, but I would make sure about that first. My Hydor Perf. 700 is not. Yes this skimmer has been out for a while and is very popular, there should people who have them can chime in. I have been following this thread for a while and I am looking into the HOB type

Thanks for the reply, if i can,t have a bubble magus in a sump then i won,t have one, in my early days of reefkeeping i had one or 2 floods with externals, in england we don,t use the term hobs, i have seen it what is a hob skimmer, thankyou

the only thing with externals is that your feed pump has to be in a consistant water depth, just like if you have an in sump skimmer. if your feed pump is in water that changes water height it changes the flow of the pump which changes the height of the water inside the skimmer.

I bought my BM 150 in Dec. 2008.
It has been doing a great job.
Excellent skimmer for the money.
I had my sump custom made on my new tank - just to meet the needs of this skimmer.
This skimmer is under priced. I paid double for my sump!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15416822#post15416822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steelcaveman
I bought my BM 150 in Dec. 2008.
It has been doing a great job.
Excellent skimmer for the money.
I had my sump custom made on my new tank - just to meet the needs of this skimmer.
This skimmer is under priced. I paid double for my sump!

Don't let them know they are underpriced. They will increase the price. LOL... :)

No joke they do make a great skimmer. I'm not sure about the NAC6. I suggested one to my aunt and we will see on the results as time progresses. It would appear at this point the mesh wheel doesn't fully utilize the reaction chamber. It could be due to the pump that is used. I would love to see the BM 100 with an aquabee pump and see how it performs. The atman seems to be ok, I've had no problems with it. It could be that it performs twice as good with the aquabee though. It would be an interesting comparison.

Looking at getting a bubble magus NAC 6 mesh wheel skimmer. Can anyone offer any pros or cons about this skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15419898#post15419898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b_s_c1
Looking at getting a bubble magus NAC 6 mesh wheel skimmer. Can anyone offer any pros or cons about this skimmer.

Been using one for a little bit now. No issues at all worth really mentioning. Continues to kick some serious butt. I run mine at about 2.5 to 2.75 right now for a little wetter skimmate and I fill the cup at rught under a week.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15419898#post15419898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b_s_c1
The Cons:
The mesh wheel kinda sucks....you're gonna have to replace it every 6-8 months. BTW good luck getting that cover off the wheel to replace the mesh.... A decent pin wheel would have been a better option. The Atman pump it comes with isn't exactly a stellar performer. Its the same thing as a Rio/Resun and they are not really known for longevity. The turbulence inside the body is IMO way to much, even with the bubble plate in place its very turbulent.
Also this things VERY sensitive to water level. If you don't have an ATO or a baffled compartment to house it in forget it because the skimmer just wont perform likes it suppose to with a constant water level.
The Pro's:
Solid constuction for the price.....Did I mention price....?

After reading the reviews on the NAC6 I am going to give it a try. After all it is only $140 and it has to be way better that my coralife 65.

I do have an ATO so constant water level is no problem.

Nuocean is the only website that I can find that sells the 110V version and they are out of stock. Anybody know of another site I can order one from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back