The Life Reef Skimmer Club

The Life Reef Skimmer Club

My lifereef has a sweet spot at 900-1000 gph. That is the good thing about a DC pum. I have tried running it full speed and it doesnt skim as good as it does at 900-1000gph.

I agree. I run a SVS3-24" on my reefer 170 and the consistency of the foam produced is better with the rossmont riser I'm currently running then it ever was with the mag 12 I ran previously. My buddy with a heavily stocked 90 gallon swears by his Jebao DCP8000 on full power for his 24". My guess is the bioload has a lot to do with the ideal pump size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a dcp 8000 on a 24 and if I run it at over 75% I get micro bubbles in my returner, side from that it's all awesome ��

Just connected a Cor 15 to mine. Right now it is set to 80% but may lower it. I have the gate valve / wheel fully open and foam is at the base of the neck. Recently cycled 210 gallon since end of February so nothing is in the tank really. I guess it is pulling whatever the 150 lbs of dry Pukani has although ammonia and nitrite are 0 with low nitrates. No fish - figured I would turn on the skimmer to break it back in after spending 15 years a garage box :)

Figured using the same pump has my return would be a good safety net in case one goes out. Especially if the return fails I can always take the skimmer offline and swap them. Great little pump. Skimmer isn't bad too :) I figured the skimmer back in 2001 would be a good investment. After that tank crashed and I took a break I'm able to use it and it is picking up right where it left off. Great product.

Just connected a Cor 15 to mine. Right now it is set to 80% but may lower it. I have the gate valve / wheel fully open and foam is at the base of the neck. Recently cycled 210 gallon since end of February so nothing is in the tank really. I guess it is pulling whatever the 150 lbs of dry Pukani has although ammonia and nitrite are 0 with low nitrates. No fish - figured I would turn on the skimmer to break it back in after spending 15 years a garage box :)

Figured using the same pump has my return would be a good safety net in case one goes out. Especially if the return fails I can always take the skimmer offline and swap them. Great little pump. Skimmer isn't bad too :) I figured the skimmer back in 2001 would be a good investment. After that tank crashed and I took a break I'm able to use it and it is picking up right where it left off. Great product.

Is the skimmer noisy?

Is the skimmer noisy?

Actually, no. It isn't. The only thing I hear from the skimmer now oddly enough is the return water / dripping if you will. The Cor pump is pretty quiet. If I take the lid off the collection cup I will hear it but other than that it is pretty tame.

This is running on a 210 gallon tank that I will be moving a 40 breeder into. The skimmer on the breeder is a CPR Bak Pak and it is a lot louder believe it or not. If I used the mag pump I bet it would be noisier but the Cor is not loud at all.

Getting ready to build my skimmer stand - what has everyone found to be the "sweet spot" on the 24" model for depth?

As long as the water level outside the skimmer isn't much above the level of the exit pipe/valve it doesn't really matter.

The water level (and bubble level) inside this type of skimmer is usually governed by the height of the exit pipe and how open the exit valve is. The "sweet spot" depends on how wet or dry you want your skimate - and you adjust the exit valve as needed. (Assuming your pump pressure is constant of course.)

You only really get in trouble when the outside water height gets much higher than the exit pipe, causing the water and bubble level on the inside to rise more than wanted and/or expected - and of course the exit valve then becomes less helpful (or not at all) in adjusting the inside level...

Sooooo, if you need a skimmer stand (or just "want one", like I did), just make sure the exit pipe/valve is above the water level. If you end up not liking the sound of the water exiting the skimmer, a simple street elbow (and pipe if needed) pointed down, that reaches the the water line, works great.

As long as the water level outside the skimmer isn't much above the level of the exit pipe/valve it doesn't really matter.

The water level (and bubble level) inside this type of skimmer is usually governed by the height of the exit pipe and how open the exit valve is. The "sweet spot" depends on how wet or dry you want your skimate - and you adjust the exit valve as needed. (Assuming your pump pressure is constant of course.)

You only really get in trouble when the outside water height gets much higher than the exit pipe, causing the water and bubble level on the inside to rise more than wanted and/or expected - and of course the exit valve then becomes less helpful (or not at all) in adjusting the inside level...

Sooooo, if you need a skimmer stand (or just "want one", like I did), just make sure the exit pipe/valve is above the water level. If you end up not liking the sound of the water exiting the skimmer, a simple street elbow (and pipe if needed) pointed down, that reaches the the water line, works great.

Thank you for the response! I require a stand in my sump, as the water level is at 14".

My sump water level is 10.5” deep with a 3” stand. So my skimmer sits at a 7.5” depth.

As said above, I use a 90degree fitting as a turndown to quiet the exit flow.

Wow finally finished all 147 pages. Had a question about ordering from Jeff. I just ordered the SVS3-24 his past weekend and the skimmer is in stock. When are orders usually shipped? Just wondering because I have a business trip coming up.

Wow finally finished all 147 pages. Had a question about ordering from Jeff. I just ordered the SVS3-24 his past weekend and the skimmer is in stock. When are orders usually shipped? Just wondering because I have a business trip coming up.

Jeff is a one man show on what I came to call Jeff time lol. so if you haven't yet I would call him and ask. If not it could be a week or two, he will also hold it and ship out when you return.

Last time I ordered from him, been a couple of years now, he told me he only ships on Tuesdays. So, you'd have to coordinate a Tuesday that works for you.

Last time I ordered from him, been a couple of years now, he told me he only ships on Tuesdays. So, you'd have to coordinate a Tuesday that works for you.

Thanks for the reply and I guess Jeff hasn't changed much from an operational standpoint. He shipped out my skimmer this Tuesday and it's arriving this Saturday. Super excited.

Back